What's new

Does anyone still rank their 6S as best ?

I have not used the Rockwell 6s. I did a lot of research trying to decide between it and the Karve brass razor. I finally decided on a Karve D plate solid bar. I was not sure that the 6s would be efficient enough, although some have indicated that the #6 plate is plenty efficient.

I love the way the Karve shaves, but do not like the maintenance aspect of the brass razor. Thus, when Karve came out with a SS model, I ordered the SS C plate open comb and am quite pleased.

I have not tried the RazorRock game changer. For the price, this SS razor looks like a great option. I suspect the 0.84 open comb would be similar to the Karve C plate OC at far less money.

Plate 3 is my Weekday shave plate as well. It's so forgiving, but gets me a DFS shave in two passes.
I've heard some people claim that the 6S/C is mindless shave because it's so tough to nick yourself, but I'm happy to avoid a blood letting on a 6:30am weekday morning.
Amen. We need to get out of there quickly and without bleeding, even though we may not be entirely awake yet, right? And as someone else here said, I shave alone. I haven't noticed a bunch of guys in my bathroom itching for a BBS shaving contest.

The Rockwell 6S is still my number one razor, using a feather blade on the #5 plate. It has never drawn blood, even when I've used the #6 plate. I frequently do two passes instead of three, which saves me standing in front of the mirror looking at myself early in the morning.

John

I would not call it my best but I enjoy using it enough that I picked up the Jet Black version. The 6 plate gives me a very comfortable 3 pass BBS

The Rockwell 6S is still my number one razor, using a feather blade on the #5 plate. It has never drawn blood, even when I've used the #6 plate. I frequently do two passes instead of three, which saves me standing in front of the mirror looking at myself early in the morning.

John
If I were as good looking as you, I would love to spend time in front of the mirror looking at myself.

D

dangerousrazor

It never ranked top1, top5 or top ten on my list. But many will think it is a superb razor and I agree.

I love my 6s... Definitely one of my best... Maybe even top. I like a very mild razor, and for how mild I can get on the 6s, it's still more efficient than anything else I've found in it's range. [emoji846]

I picked up a Rockwell at Winners (TJ Maxx's Canadian arm) at Christmas. It's okay, but just okay.

My Tech and Fat Boy still provide a better shave.

I respectfully disagree with those that boilerplate call it too inefficient. The R6 plate shaves right up there with some of the more efficient shavers, albeit without an open comb option. Granted, I find anything less than a 4 plate to be worthless, usually settling on an R5 for daily shaves. Many guys around here know their face well enough to know that ordering a 6S with lower plates is a waste of money. But much of the shaving public wouldn’t. It would be nice if they sold it cheaper with only the higher plates.

Back to my original point of efficiency, the R5/6 is more than adequate for my thick, coarse beard for daily or 2 day old growth. More, requires an open comb in most cases for me for the best shave.

But we should all be careful when describing razors as inefficient, because it’s extremely important to let others know how often you shave. If it’s inefficient for daily shaves, that’s critical information. If you’re labeling something inefficient because you shave every 4-5 days, that’s worthless information — unless we know your vantage point.

Yup, still number 1 for me!
I have the 6S at home and 6C on the travel kit. The Karve brass ranks second for me, behind the mighty 6S.

I respectfully disagree with those that boilerplate call it too inefficient. The R6 plate shaves right up there with some of the more efficient shavers, albeit without an open comb option. Granted, I find anything less than a 4 plate to be worthless, usually settling on an R5 for daily shaves. Many guys around here know their face well enough to know that ordering a 6S with lower plates is a waste of money. But much of the shaving public wouldn’t. It would be nice if they sold it cheaper with only the higher plates.

Back to my original point of efficiency, the R5/6 is more than adequate for my thick, coarse beard for daily or 2 day old growth. More, requires an open comb in most cases for me for the best shave.

But we should all be careful when describing razors as inefficient, because it’s extremely important to let others know how often you shave. If it’s inefficient for daily shaves, that’s critical information. If you’re labeling something inefficient because you shave every 4-5 days, that’s worthless information — unless we know your vantage point.
That is all quite right. And I should have qualified my comment about the superiority (for me) of the 6S (which I usually use with plate R4 but R5 is OK too) that it only applies to daily shaving, which is routine for me. If I let my stubble grow, certainly more than a day, I can get a close shave faster and more easily, i.e. more efficiently, with the Game Changer, for example. Also, I have a relatively light and thin beard, so no doubt many of you have the amount of stubble after one day that I don't get until 2 or 3 days of not shaving. I think variables like that account for much of the difference in opinion about razors around here, and maybe even blades, too.

^
Great posts, johnwick and mozartman. Reference information is incredibly helpful. Also worthwhile is what type of shave one is after. I am constantly looking for BBS, but some members are okay with DFS. There area of shave is also important IMO. For me, cheeks are easy, but upper lip is challenging. Others seem to have issues with the neck.

Top Bottom