What's new

Can't touch this.. or that.. or anything...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Dodge balls are harder than you think. My grandaughter is a freshman in HS. She was playing dodge ball in a mixed gender class. An older boy hit her in the head with the ball with enough force to knock her out. The school had to call her mother to pick her up from school. Fortunately, she was OK the next day.

I'm glad your granddaughter is OK!

Sports are inherently dangerous, no way out of it. I played HS basketball & soccer, and college soccer. I saw some remarkable injuries during that time.

Gym class is an elective in many schools.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
IMO, every parent with a student at that school should yank their children out. Every single one of them.

Yeah, but we don't know the details. It could have been a vicious, profanity laden threat with a lot of priors. With it being a juvenile, and school-student confidentiality, the details may not ever be publicly known unless a reporter interviews family members of those involved that are willing to talk. And the reporter reports the truth.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Yeah, but we don't know the details. It could have been a vicious, profanity laden threat with a lot of priors. With it being a juvenile, and school-student confidentiality, the details may not ever be publicly known unless a reporter interviews family members of those involved that are willing to talk. And the reporter reports the truth.

"Cops and robbers" is definitely a no go then.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
"Cops and robbers" is definitely a no go then.

That was fun, and playing Army also. I was on the school bus with a friend that had a mark on his forehead from pellet gun fights. Not to mention the BB gun fights we got in to.

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

You probably can't even play catch in your front yard with a kid now days without someone calling in for child abuse. You might hit the kid in the face with the baseball.

Back in the 50s we used to play Johnny on the pony.
No parks nearby in the Bronx NY.
Guess today the boys might break their cell phones if they were to play this game today.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Back in the 50’s growing up in Chicago this same game played in the school yards was called Buck Buck How Many Fingers Up. Don’t ask me why it was called that because I haven’t a clue.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Last week we went to Grandparent's day at my Grandson's elementary school. We were walking around and he was showing us the various parts of the school. When we were outside I asked him what kind of games they play on recess. He said they mostly swing on the swings and sometimes they play kickball. I told him my favorite game as a kid at school was tag and how much I enjoyed playing it. He told me that they aren't allowed to play tag and in fact any game that involves touching is not permitted. I don't even know how to think about this. I understand the need for rules and personal space, but what an over the top p/c world this has become. Kids can't even be kids.
Matt:
proxy.php
...recess 'was the bomb' back then at Bailey Elementary School in East Lansing, MI...who could swing the highest...chasing one another ("Your'e it!"), playing tag, playing catch (baseball), basketball and the game of 'Four-Square' (all the 'rage' during my time...the queue to get-into the game was long [there were 4 Four-Square areas] and the server [in square #4] called the rules...mine was "Fast Game of Back Boarding"), and a host of other outdoor games.
414801-c310508e272199bf8058738d1b1f1e02.jpg

Playground.jpg
"Living is using the time given you. You can't [backspace] lost time. Don't forget that". Author Unknown

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
We live in a "Hot Coffee burned my crotch so I'll sue" kind of world. Ever since that lady sued McDonalds and won, it's been unbelievable. Everyone has to worry about where their next liability is.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We live in a "Hot Coffee burned my crotch so I'll sue" kind of world. Ever since that lady sued McDonalds and won, it's been unbelievable. Everyone has to worry about where their next liability is.

You should have seen the stickers on every one of the windows in Mom's house I recently sold.

WARNING! OPEN WINDOWS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
Use caution when around an open window.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
You should have seen the stickers on every one of the windows in Mom's house I recently sold.

WARNING! OPEN WINDOWS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
Use caution when around an open window.

I'm sure that fear of litigation drives many of the choices school systems make.

Every-time we want to poke fun at or complain about the latest generation, "snowflakes", try to remember that it's not their fault.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Adam:
plus-one-png.797576
...and it almost feels like our whole life has changed...filled with litigation.
Shoulder Shrug.jpg

proxy.php
[Litigation:] "Common sense is not so common". Voltaire

Ah, yes, the eternal thread of old people complaining about how soft kids are today. It's only been 6000 years of the same complaints.

Well Chris,

Actually the thread started out not about kids being soft, it was started as a observation made during a visit to a school and kids not being allowed to be kids. After telling a couple friends about our experience, they related an incident that happened at their church. My friend was teaching Sunday school and a 5 year old hugged him. He hugged the little boy back and was told by church staff that touching the kids(hugging) is not permitted. Now if you want to spin this as old people being old, and complaining then be my guest. I see it as a over reaction by a p/c culture. Now I guess I should tell you to get off my lawn....

Last edited:
So I guess playing Bloody Knuckles at recess is out. And a free hit if the opponent flinches is felony assault. I don’t even want to think where the Screw Fighting (brilliantly named) fad would have landed all of us.

Think of a hoard of baby boom 4th grade boys hunched over, scuttling around the playground with one fist clenched and the other hand protecting a particularly sensitive area. Our teachers must have been callously amused for the few weeks that lasted.

I am not going to run for public office with that sort of elementary school past that might be revealed.

I just want to apologize to anyone who was offended.
I haven’t even thought about Bloody Knuckles in forever! Yeah, that game is just plain stupid. Hahaha! But I loved it and believe that idiotic games were integral to my childhood.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dodge balls are harder than you think. My grandaughter is a freshman in HS. She was playing dodge ball in a mixed gender class. An older boy hit her in the head with the ball with enough force to knock her out. The school had to call her mother to pick her up from school. Fortunately, she was OK the next day.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They got sued for serving coffee much hotter than industry standards, which caused 3rd degree burns. Ten degrees cooler and this wouldn’t have happened. This happened many times before, with prior settlements, but McDs refused to change their practices.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
They got sued for serving coffee much hotter than industry standards, which caused 3rd degree burns. Ten degrees cooler and this wouldn’t have happened. This happened many times before, with prior settlements, but McDs refused to change their practices.
Wasnt aware of that. Thank you.

Still can't help but think "As surely as water will wet us, as surely as fire will burn," although Kipling was writing about something else. Coffee will be hot, served at an unknown temperature back in the day, and treated accordingly.

Yesterday noticed a sticker on a vending machine: "Open bottle slowly."

Top Bottom