What's new

Stainless Lupo

I disagree. If you read through the original thread you will find most people who bought & used this razor liked it.
Razorock Switch and Lupo are live

And a sizable number who thought it was too mild. Hence “mixed.”

I find the .84 to be on the milder side of a razor I would enjoy. If the Lupo is milder than the .84, then I’d pass. But the SS version might amp the efficiency. Therefore I will wait for the reviews.

And a sizable number who thought it was too mild. Hence “mixed.”

I find the .84 to be on the milder side of a razor I would enjoy. If the Lupo is milder than the .84, then I’d pass. But the SS version might amp the efficiency. Therefore I will wait for the reviews.

I'm of the same mind as you. I'll wait for the reviews and possibly a larger gap.

Did anyone here buy one and have input on it vs . The Gen 1?

I bought one earlier this week. Don't have it yet. I was just poking around Razorock's web site when I clicked the SS Lupo, and there was an Add to Cart button instead of Sold Out. I stared at it for a second or two thinking I must be seeing things. But I clicked the button, and the cart showed a steel Lupo in it! Then I checked out as fast as I could fill in the boxes! I about tied my fingers in knots. I got it done, and got an email receipt saying I bought a SS Lupo. I was still skeptical about it until I got the shipping notice the next day. I'll believe it when it shows up at my house, supposedly Tuesday. I had refreshed the page about every two minutes for hours last week when the steel Lupo was supposed to go on sale. The web site stopped loading around 4 a.m. central if I remember right. So I gave up. Then the razors supposedly went up about 11:00 central, and were gone in about three minutes I think somebody said.

The reason I doubted the whole process of buying the razor this week is that the Razorock web site is screwy as hell for me. About half the time, it won't load, and the browser shows a message that the server can't be found or resolved or something. I get that with three different browsers on two different machines. It makes it hard to keep an eye on Razorock when their site is down as much as it is. And you can't just use the I.B. site, because the two sites don't have the same stuff all the time. Does anybody else see that, or is it just me? Oh, and by the way, within minutes of getting the razor bought this week, the Add to Cart button was gone and it was back to Sold Out. Then not long after that, the web site stopped loading. So it was pure dumb luck that I got that razor. The aluminum is one heck of a good shaver for me, and I really wanted to try a heavier version.

Good to know. Keep us posted. I love using my Lupo but don't love it enough to spend $89 for a heavier better built version.

I was lucky to get a Lupo SS. I also have the aluminum version. The aluminum was too light so I swapped the handle for a stainless steel one and love it. Very smooth. I'd rate it 6/10 for aggressiveness. It's a very nimble thin head design along with tapered ends. Whiskers under the nose and ears are snipped easily. The stainless steel Lupo feels more aggressive - maybe an 7.5/10 - and is much heavier. The handle of the Lupo SS is much grippier than the aluminum version for some reason - them material really changes the feeling of the handles. I prefer mild razors so the Lupo SS is about my limit of aggressiveness. It's not as aggressive as the Muhle and it doesn't feel like it will cut my face but due to its weight the blade finds your skin more easily and you have to use it with more care than the aluminum version. I shaved with the Lupo SS all last week and it felt great but boy were the shaves close. Not sure which version I prefer but I do enjoy them both. Certainly, they are equally good at shaving regardless of price.

I was lucky to get a Lupo SS. I also have the aluminum version. The aluminum was too light so I swapped the handle for a stainless steel one and love it. Very smooth. I'd rate it 6/10 for aggressiveness. It's a very nimble thin head design along with tapered ends. Whiskers under the nose and ears are snipped easily. The stainless steel Lupo feels more aggressive - maybe an 7.5/10 - and is much heavier. The handle of the Lupo SS is much grippier than the aluminum version for some reason - them material really changes the feeling of the handles. I prefer mild razors so the Lupo SS is about my limit of aggressiveness. It's not as aggressive as the Muhle and it doesn't feel like it will cut my face but due to its weight the blade finds your skin more easily and you have to use it with more care than the aluminum version. I shaved with the Lupo SS all last week and it felt great but boy were the shaves close. Not sure which version I prefer but I do enjoy them both. Certainly, they are equally good at shaving regardless of price.
Thank you for a very informative review. How would you compare it to a Gamechanger .84 or .68 and Mamba70?

Thanks. Glad to hear you are enjoying the DC Lupo. I love my AL Lupo but not enough to spend $89. Although I could vision a Game Changer in my future.

I might prefer the aluminum Lupo to the SS because it's slightly less aggressive. I only have a few shaves in with the Lupo SS. I have at least a month's worth of shaves with the aluminum version. It's all about personal preference. One is not better than the other, just slightly different. If I had to describe the difference I feel it would be like this... the Lupo AL feels light against my face. The blade just kisses the skin. First pass WTG, second ATG and a touch up here and there. It's all very mild with just enough blade feel to know you are shaving. With Lupo SS when you place the razor to your face the weight of the head presses deeper into the skin. The feeling of the blade is more apparent. The first pass feels closer. I shave more carefully around my sensitive spots with the Lupo SS because the blade presses more deeply against my skin. It's a more aggressive razor but only by a little. I shave more quickly with the Lupo AL and more slowly and carefully with the Lupo SS.

I do not have the GC84 but I do have the 68. The Lupo has a slightly slimmer head and tapered ends that really allow you to get into every nook and cranny more easily. Both Lupo's feel more precise while navigating your face. What I like about the GC68 is it's very smooth and easy to shave with. The head feels larger when it touches your skin. The blade feel is less apparent with the GC68 which requires two passes and a bit more touchup than with either Lupo - especially under my nose - but it gets every whisker with a bit of lip pulling. No lip pulling needed with the Lupo. I like both razors but the Lupo handles like a sports car with two seats while the GC68 is more like a sporty sedan. Depending how I feel, I may take either for a ride.

As I was typing this the Mamba70 arrived at my desk. It looks beautiful! Without being able to compare it directly to the Mamba53 I'd say they look identical. I bought the 70 hoping to get a closer shave than the 53 (which I took out of my rotation). I will keep you posted on how these razors compare in a week or two.

I really want to get one of these. Not sure if I should try to snag a DLC or wait for a regular stainless.

With Italian Barber's new Razorock offerings recently has anyone noticed that the handles are no longer his characteristic Halo but a copy of Charcoal Goods Bishop handle. I know RR is offering different metals with aluminium and SS DLC but apart from an extra ring in the upper portion these (same length) RR handles are being used in the Switch, Lupo AL, Lupo SS DLC and Eco half blade releases. With Razorock copying a current vendor's handle rather than "inspired by a prior vintage" (ie every 3 piece may beconsidered an inspired Gillette Tech), does this not bother anyone ? It may be legal and allowable but I do not think it is right or ethical especially since Charcoal Goods is an active, artistic and innovative producer of high end modern razors. You may what to think about this as I for one am bothered by such business practices.

@AJSharp I agree with you 100% and posted on his Instagram acct my concern about it. Brian is an excellent artisan with very artistic and creative designs, and he makes one great razor. Italian Barber used to carry his work on their website so I find the copying of his work distasteful by Joe. With so many options available to purchase my shaving supplies, I will put my money elsewhere.

@Shavemd OMG that makes it worse. I didn’t know that in the past Italian Barber carried Charcoal Goods and he now rips off his Bishop handle. That’s absolutely disgraceful and disturbing. I guess copying is not something only done in the Far East. The wet shaving community is not very large - shame on Italian Barber.

With Italian Barber's new Razorock offerings recently has anyone noticed that the handles are no longer his characteristic Halo but a copy of Charcoal Goods Bishop handle. I know RR is offering different metals with aluminium and SS DLC but apart from an extra ring in the upper portion these (same length) RR handles are being used in the Switch, Lupo AL, Lupo SS DLC and Eco half blade releases. With Razorock copying a current vendor's handle rather than "inspired by a prior vintage" (ie every 3 piece may beconsidered an inspired Gillette Tech), does this not bother anyone ? It may be legal and allowable but I do not think it is right or ethical especially since Charcoal Goods is an active, artistic and innovative producer of high end modern razors. You may what to think about this as I for one am bothered by such business practices.

Not so fast there my wet shaving compadre. Charcoal Goods used to supply IB with their handles not that long ago. Once CG picked up their business, they couldn't keep up the demand of their own and provide handles to an outside vendor. They stopped supplying IB because they could not do it anymore. So, IB started producing their own. No patents on handles or copywriting infringements in producing clones of handles.

Free enterprise and Capitalism. If you really want to bite into something, look at the Big 3 Automakers in North America. They've been copying each other for over a century. A Century over Billions of $$$...... Think about that for a minute. Done? What IB is doing is a spec of sand in the grand scheme of business practices and many would argue and say it's perfectly fine.

You make it seem as though IB broke a code of honor, they've broken an ethical rule of gentlemanly restraint as artisan razor producers/manufacturers. Bottom line, they're in business to be in business. I see nothing wrong in IB's or anyone else that goes down that route.

Again, that's just me.....

Well, the razor itself is supposed to be a copy of a Wolfman. With the exception of the Timeless 68 and 95, I think that most modern DE razors are copies of another in one form or another.

Top Bottom