What's new

Razor Replate

Looking to get a Barbasol Floating Head replated.....I know its chrome so its a little more prep than normal. I would like it in Rhodium.....any pointers or suggestions?

There is a guy Chris something that gets rave reviews on this forum. He may be the best . I’d search the forum with Chris replate and see what pops up .

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Looking to get a Barbasol Floating Head replated.....I know its chrome so its a little more prep than normal. I would like it in Rhodium.....any pointers or suggestions?

Do you know what the razor is made out of ?
If it is made of pot metal , I don't think you can find anyone to replate it .
If you don't know, someone here on B &B might have a better idea.
The Chris that is always that is the best in the business can be found at Razorplate.com.
On his site he does answer some FAQ .

There is a guy Chris something that gets rave reviews on this forum. He may be the best . I’d search the forum with Chris replate and see what pops up .
it says he doesnt do Chrome plated razors anymore.

There are probably a bunch of small artisans that folks will mention but the biggest main line company doing this on Razor Emporium. Matt Pisarcik's company had been doing this for several years. I've had them do a 1911 Gillette Bulldog in sterling silver and a Fatboy in rhodium. Both came out terrific. They do gold, rose gold, rhodium, silver and nickel... not sure if they do chrome.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

All I know is that it's heavily chrome plated -- not nickel -- and therefore way more difficult to replate than your average DE.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
There are probably a bunch of small artisans that folks will mention but the biggest main line company doing this on Razor Emporium. Matt Pisarcik's company had been doing this for several years. I've had them do a 1911 Gillette Bulldog in sterling silver and a Fatboy in rhodium. Both came out terrific. They do gold, rose gold, rhodium, silver and nickel... not sure if they do chrome.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I know RE has pretty bad reputation here on B&B if you look in past post there are numerous bad experience reviews.
I'm glad you had a good experience with your razor.

I have a message out to Black Roads Gold and they said they can do it but im not sure they know its chrom plated....i let them know and am awaiting a reply as well.

I don't think any plater in the states messes with chrome, not even to strip it. I tried to get a razor done.

Here was Matt's/Razor Emporium reply to me months ago:

"To achieve chrome you plate Copper then nickel then chrome. Chrome is mostly used as a top coat, is nearly clear, and is there to protect the nickel. However it blisters over time.

Rhodium is done in same way. Copper nickel then Rhodium.

The difference is that Rhodium is more durable.

Can’t thibk of anyone that will do chrome plating on a razor. Chrome is heavily regulated and an environmental hazard. Makes it hard to do it on small scale."

Loot: The only place I know of that does Chrome is a guy in New Zealand.

Vintage Safety Razor Replating - Nickel, Chrome, Silver, Gold, Rhodium

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got my Barbasol Floating Head back from replace!
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom