What's new

Razor refurbish suggestions

How is black roads gold... I’m thinking of sending my barbasol floating head to them?Also thoughts on rhodium instead of nickel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s brass and aluminum, it can’t rust. The “very light plating loss” and “no brassing” parts puzzle me.
The razor looks good, Super a-s had so-so finishes from the factory, nothing close to the earlier bright nickel surfaces.

Adam
No they can't "rust" they are not iron-bearing materials but sure can corrode. Any of the Gillette razors with aluminium parts are also prone to corrosion as well.

How is black roads gold... I’m thinking of sending my barbasol floating head to them?Also thoughts on rhodium instead of nickel?

I was looking at them, too. Looks like really nice work, but they don't work on aluminum (the handle of my SA is aluminum).

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don't know if razorplate.com is still an option, but they have had consistently good reviews over the years.

I wouldn't pick any replating service without a search of this board by the specific vendor, as some places have an abysmal reputation.
^^^This^^^ Just do a quick search of this board of the specific vendor on B&B. Not to mention any names, but some do have an abysmal reputation more than others. Some specific vendor has alright service until it's not.

I think you'll find the Barbasol FH was chrome plated, not that you can't have it done in nickel but rhodium will not tarnish unlike nickel and is as close to chrome as you can get with those characteristics in-mind. It does however have it's price but IMHO the B.F.H. is a worthy razor.

Check with Back Roads Gold. He does replating for about $75 and his work is first rate. I have a flawless Goodwill 162 that he replated - truly impressive.
I thought I saw a SA 109 on his work-to-do razor board in the video.

Razor Emporium did my grandfather's Super Adjustable in white Rhodium a few years back. They did a fantastic job on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wow, that sounds awesome. Do you have any pictures to show? Might be interested in doing that on mine too.

Top Bottom