What's new

A good leather conditioner?

What is a good leather conditioner or moisturizer that works on various colors and leathers without discoloring them? Would something like Bick 4 fit that bill or is there perhaps a better alternative?

There's not much that works WELL without darkening the leather a bit, in my experience.

The absolute best conditioner I have found is Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. It has resuscitated old, dry, stiff leather and made it pliable once again. It also provides water resistance. But it will darken the leather a bit, depending on the type.

It's great stuff. You massage it in with your bare hands and the warmth helps it absorb into the leather.

Not much experience here but I do like Lexol leather conditioner. I've used it for years to condition my car's leather.

Doesn't seem to care about what color the leather is as it goes on clear.

Chris

Thanks Gents. I think I will buy a few small bottles of various products including your suggestions and try them on old shoes and see what results I get.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I use Saphir Medaille d'or Rennovateur on items that don't need water resistance, and have a can of Obenauf's lp for say boots etc

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used Obenauf's on a 25 year old leather jacket and it worked great, but I can't say it didn't get a bit darker.

For shoes I like Saphir Medaille d'or Rennovateur.

Be careful with some leather conditioners on dress shoes. While they do not discolor the leather, they make it darned near impossible for the leather to hold any kind of shine/polish. Bick 4 has worked well for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use Saphir Medaille d'or Rennovateur on items that don't need water resistance, and have a can of Obenauf's lp for say boots etc
That's my solution.
Be careful with some leather conditioners on dress shoes. While they do not discolor the leather, they make it darned near impossible for the leather to hold any kind of shine/polish. Bick 4 has worked well for me.

The Saphir can be polished decently and takes a wax or cream shine on top.

I use saphir and Venetian cream. Both can be used on any colour, but the saphir can sometime make the colour run into any stitching. So for shoes that I want the stitching to not get colour on I use the Venetian .

Top Bottom