What's new

17.00 Tobacco press on Amazon

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
8FCD5072-D89A-431C-9441-7B21DA51BF66.jpeg

I never did post my noodle press handiwork...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nice! Any ideas on what you will press first?

Looks fantastic! I saw some of your posts on the giant thread over at pipesmokersden. Are you heating the tobacco prior to pressing?

Yes I did on one batch. It seemed to press a bit more solidly, but it still expanded a bit. I think it needs tons of pressure for it to maintain the press.

I don't think I am going to be shooting for plugs anytime soon, but that's good to know. The cake I did just the day before has already doubled in size. Still seems pretty solid however. I am ok with the expansion, because I want to be able to take it apart with my fingers.

I'll give it a try once it's sat for a few days or a week.

Will see how much it expands. I only pressed it for about 4 days.

proxy.php
Looks good Mike, please let us know how it maintains it’s shape over the week. I pressed an aromatic last week and it came out just like yours but quickly started to crumble after a day or so. I chose an aromatic thinking the mostly cavendish blend would be sticky enough to stay together, but it did not. I pressed mine for a little over 3 days.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I think it would have expanded more, but the tin I store it in is holding it down.

Works fine since I need to get it from the kake to my pipe anyway.
proxy.php

Looks good @Mike H and yeah it may expand even a little bit more. This is exactly what I wanted out of mine though. I wanted to be able easily break it apart with my fingers (crumble cake). If you want a plug I've read that briefly heating the tobacco prior to pressing it will help a lot with keeping it's form.

I highly recommend a thread on pipesmokersden. It's over 60 pages long and has tons of great info. I just did a google search for smokers den noodle press and it's the first result.

May I ask what the purpose is, of pressing the tobacco? Does it last longer, or some such?

Like @Mike H said, while it can help with storage, I think the main purpose is to force the tobacco oils to mix together. This can change the flavor profile and help speed the melding processes. If you mixed tobacco up and threw it in a jar, it could take months for the flavors to meld, but place it in a press and it can occur in a few days.

Thank you . . . only an occasional indulger in cigars, but I have looked at pipes over the years.

Very cool, I was in the same place you were about a year ago. Finally took the plunge and now I smoke a bowl almost every night when I use to only smoke a cigar a few times a year. As other pipe smokers will attest, there is something about it that is just very relaxing. Its a good way to wind down the evening.

You can get into it fairly cheap. Think I priced out everything necessary in another thread for around 25 bucks.

So, would you just break a chunk off of one of these pressed pucks and light it? Or do you break it down further before lighting up?

So, would you just break a chunk off of one of these pressed pucks and light it? Or do you break it down further before lighting up?

It depends on if you make a plug or a crumble cake. If you make a plug (way more dense) then you can slice off a flake and rub it out with your fingers. if you make a cake, you can just break some off with your fingers and rub it out.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Is anybody warming the tobacco before they press it?? I’ve got reservations nuking for 30 seconds in a microwave

I have done it for about 15. I don’t think it affects anything other than moisture content IMO, tho 30 secs seems long. Use some cheap tobacco and see what happens at 30 secs, 25 secs, and maybe no heating?

Top Bottom