What's new

A Turkish Delight: The Yuma razor.

Im using Yuma for about 15 year and more recently buy new and there is diference between new and old.New is not so agressive like old smaller gap better protected from loosing colour and one side is milder than other.I have gillete slim ,ej 89 , parkrer 91 r,star wintage ,russian ideal ,wilkinson sword but Yuma with permasharp and with tallow base soap Palmira is my favorite.

I love the YUMA from Turkey. Someone here at B & B posted about them a few years ago, and I got very curious about them. I scouted around and found a vendor that had them in the cases for $3 or $4 so I snapped up a few. I passed a few around, and I still have a couple. A closer shave you will never have. These razors are very efficient. They could also be called aggressive. This razor taught me about the no-pressure rule. One misstep with this razor, and you can draw some serious blood.

proxy.php

God Bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While others struggle to find one of these on eBay or other internet places I have them ready to buy in my local market and give them the cold shoulder.
The finish is terrible, sharp edges all over and judging by the bubbles in the galvanised finish the razor is bound to corrode in a few months tops. No wonder the price is so low on these.
These should be marketed more like a one use disposable razor in my opinion.
As another user rightly pointed out these are based on a Merkur design. The Merkur 1904. I have the open comb version and it is worlds better in all aspects than this. Much better build quality and tolerances. It feels massive and solid, thanks in part to a full cast handle instead of a hollow one
and the head is also much thicker.
Knurling is much better as well.
It gave (and still gives me) amazing shaves.
Though it is not nearly as cheap as this. You get what you pay for. The Merkur 1904 itself is based on an old Gillette design.
If you you like the Yuma and it gives good shaves more power to you. I myself prefer to pass.

Are these still available anywhere?
Yes, I just bought one on eBay a few weeks ago ($7-$8 shipped). Tried it for the first time today and it shaved like a dream. Honestly I'm surprised how many reviews I've been reading saying it is aggressive, because I hate aggressive razors and I found it to be mild, but extremely efficient.

Thank you, gentlemen. I know what my 2020 sabbatical exemption is gonna be now:

That @Morman Bridge has Yumas, @Esetter . Ask that fellow.

Yes, I just bought one on eBay a few weeks ago ($7-$8 shipped). Tried it for the first time today and it shaved like a dream. Honestly I'm surprised how many reviews I've been reading saying it is aggressive, because I hate aggressive razors and I found it to be mild, but extremely efficient.

Love the Yuma... but be aware some fellow tries to sell them on an auction site claiming they are vintage German WWII razors for 15 times what they are worth. When they are selling at an honest price you should pick up 3 or 4.

I love my Yuma too.
I picked it up at a local "oriental fleamarket" in Göteborg (Sweden) but I know it can be found in many oriental supermarkets around the globe.
Cost me 3 Euros and it gives me wonderful shaves.
As stated before the build quality and finish is what can be expected at this price but the blade alignment on my Yuma is perfect.

Spider makes interesting comparison between the Karve and Yuma razors. Surprisingly he thinks the Yuma is better for those who like smooth shaving.

Great that it works well for you.
For me personally, it's also much about esthetics. I want my razor to look good, feel good and be enjoying the shave.
Therefore this one is never coming in my mailbox, there are so many good looking and enjoyable razors out there :)

M

member 119848

I had high-end razors, as well as cheap and mid-priced razors.
Although I appreciate the esthetics, precision, and build quality of high-end ones, the cheaper razors give me more peace of mind.
I like driving a "beater" car as long as it is reliable. Same goes for razors... I tend to like razors that I 'm not afraid of dropping into the sink.
I find the Yuma interesting, but I wonder how really durable/robust it is when used as a daily driver for years...

Im using Yuma for about 15 year and more recently buy new and there is diference between new and old.New is not so agressive like old smaller gap better protected from loosing colour and one side is milder than other.I have gillete slim ,ej 89 , parkrer 91 r,star wintage ,russian ideal ,wilkinson sword but Yuma with permasharp and with tallow base soap Palmira is my favorite.
Have had one since @2010 when Bought from Best Shave in Turkey. Aggressive but efficient and smooth. Daily driver for 3-4 years. Not used frequently anymore but still have it and always will.

I had high-end razors, as well as cheap and mid-priced razors.
Although I appreciate the esthetics, precision, and build quality of high-end ones, the cheaper razors give me more peace of mind.
I like driving a "beater" car as long as it is reliable. Same goes for razors... I tend to like razors that I 'm not afraid of dropping into the sink.
I find the Yuma interesting, but I wonder how really durable/robust it is when used as a daily driver for years...
I recently got a Pre-War Tech with a Bakelite handle - cheap. I was mostly interested in the handle, since the head and base plate plating had all been scraped off & the base plate had pits and flea bites mostly on one side. Before tossing the head into the junk box, I decided to give it a test shave. It still shaved like a Tech, smooth and easy, so I decided to clean it up and buff it out a little to ready for nickel platoing. It still shows the pitting scars from neglect by a former owner, but looks nicer & still shaves like new.

I picked up 3 a few years ago at a small Indian grocer in the Brampton burb of Toronto. They were $3.99 Cdn. Maybe they were fakes. I gave one away and another broke so I still have one. I dont use it but it's there if I need it.

Top Bottom