What's new

Please recommend a razor

Hi everyone,

I've had a beard for about 5 years. I feel like a shave. The only razor I currently have is a Gillette Slim Twist, with the white plastic handle. I like it, but it's time for something new. I have a pretty stiff beard and skin that is pretty easy to irritate. I still have a few boxes of Feather and Derby blades.

I'm interested in adjustability, though not at the cost of reliability. The models with the interchangeable plates seem to be a good idea, since once you decide on a setting, there's no unnecessary complexity. I'd like a long-term durable material, so brass, bronze or stainless steel. I'd like to spend about $100AUD/$70USD.

What can you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Gillette slim adjustable.
Durable, check
Adjustable, check

Honestly, I'm just saying that because I've got one for sale in the BST along with blades and soaps. But as you'll soon see, there will be plenty of new options as well. Rockwell 6s, karve, charcoal goods, timeless, razorock all have SS options that will last forever and have interchangable plates. The best one for your price though is probably the Rockwell as it comes with six settings at $100.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'd like to add that if you've got blades from 5 years ago you've covered both extremes of the spectrum - exceedingly sharp (Feather) and what many people would consider exceedingly dull (old Derby).

Given your sensitive skin and tough beard you may be better served with a blade sampler. Maybe Gillette Yellow, Personna Med Prep/Lab, PolSilver SI, etc.

Here are my recommendations:
Highly agressive razor: Muhle R41
Mid agressive razor: RR Gamechanger.84
Mild agressive razor: RR Gamechanger.68
GL in mowing that beard off.
Happy Shaves

Gillette slim adjustable.
Durable, check
Adjustable, check

Honestly, I'm just saying that because I've got one for sale in the BST along with blades and soaps. But as you'll soon see, there will be plenty of new options as well. Rockwell 6s, karve, charcoal goods, timeless, razorock all have SS options that will last forever and have interchangable plates. The best one for your price though is probably the Rockwell as it comes with six settings at $100.
The Rockwell is a great, smooth razor with quite a few options. However, a slim can usually be had for $20-40 USD. It's a hard deal to beat, honestly. I have both a slim and a Rockwell 6s (6c too). All are wonderful choices IMO. [emoji846]

The Rockwell is a great, smooth razor with quite a few options. However, a slim can usually be had for $20-40 USD. It's a hard deal to beat, honestly. I have both a slim and a Rockwell 6s (6c too). All are wonderful choices IMO. [emoji846]
I agree. A Slim is an affordable very good razor. And Rockwell makes an excellent razor, the 6c for $50. Please let us know what you get.

I agree. A Slim is an affordable very good razor. And Rockwell makes an excellent razor, the 6c for $50. Please let us know what you get.

Although the 6c doesn’t meet the OP’s criterial for materials, as it’s made of Zamak. The SS 6s can sometimes be found in his price range.

My suggestion would be the Razorock Game Changer .84, an exceptionally smooth yet very efficient, all-SS razor for under $60.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My suggestion would be the Razorock Game Changer .84, an exceptionally smooth yet very efficient, all-SS razor for under $60.

+1

The RazoRock Game Changer is a great razor - especially for the money.

You have your choice of the .68 SB, .86 SB, .86 OC and (last but not least) Jaws.

YMMV

I throw in another vote for the Game Changer. If you really have your heart set on an adjustable, then a vintage Slim could be the one. You have to be a little more careful there as condition can vary.

Fatip Piccolo SE.

proxy.php

Gillette Tech, Gillette Slim, Schick Krona. Any will give you a great shave providing you (as you should with every razor) match the razor with the blade & with your face. The vintage razors have brass head/doors/bottom plate, and have that quality of a bygone era. Plus, they're cheap, compared to the modern spendy razors with fancy names, handles, asnd pricetags, usually made with a pot metal (zamak) head.

Another vote for a Slim!! That seems to be what you are describing. Plus, tough to beat the price!

I've had adjustable - Progress and Slim. They work, but aren't as nice to shave with as 3 piece razors and you can't swap handles, which is a big issue for me.

I'd certainly recommend the R41 head on a better handle - any M5 handle will fit. Head is usually cheap.

If you can get a good deal on shipping I'd vastly prefer Karve open comb heads to Rockwell (had one, sold it). I personally like the OC E plate. Just a touch less efficient than the R41. The head works on any M5 handle and the top cap is inter-changeable with the R41 as well. Easy to make up a system. You'll get brilliantly close shaves.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've now ordered the Game Changer with the 84P plate. Looking forward to it.

sorry for coming late to the party.. The GC is an excellent choice, i found the 0.84 SB to be a little on the mild side for me but have the JAWS with is essentially a 0.84 OC with wider teeth spacing's than the OC but from what i hear are practically the same in smoothness and efficiency..

If the SB is not efficient enough for you go for the OC or JAWS plate, you wont be disappointed.

The only other razor in your price with adjustable plates would be the Rockwell 6C but its zamak, the SS is a little more $$

good luck, let us know what you think

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I would consider a Brass Karve Razor
Made with machined Brass and with a plethora of different plates with different blade gaps in both SB and OC.

Top Bottom