What's new

ETHOS Grooming Essentials

I have the distinction that I scarf the last tub of Limited Edition Dragonsbeard when it came up for sale at west coast shaving. While I don’t have luxury of saying I have tried over 150 shaving soaps and everything else in between. But I do have around 25 of the top rated artisan soaps priced at average of $22. Dragonsbeard might come across bit expensive at $32 but it cost me another $6 out of minimum $19 shipping cost spilt over 2 other soaps.

At this price point my expectations were high on this blind buy and I was particularly drawn to the soap scent description. Right off the open lid, I liked the scent profile on this one. It starts a little sweet smelling but not in a cloyingly sweet way. Rather the sweetness matures into a very muscular scent with a dominant Oud note. Thing with Oud is that as a standalone scent Oud is very dark and heavy scent but singularly unimpressive as a single note (if you ever visit any UAE mall you will understand what I mean; whole place just reeks of very loud Oud in various iterations of badly done blends). Elsewhere most amateur artisans either just kill the Oud with heavy hand on blending or leave it too loud. Frank has done an outstanding blend on this soap and Oud comes out shining; unadulterated without reeking or cloying. This is now one of my favorite soaps scents and for comparison I have WK’s King of Oud in stable but in all fairness KOU comes across obnoxiously loud and unrefined. At worse it smells artificial and I feel as if I am standing in middle of Tobacconist shop somewhere in India where they sell incense sticks, agarwood paste, tobacco, snuff and everything else scented with synthetic Oud. The Oud note is very mature, gentle, refined and natural in this soap. It ticks all Oud boxes for me and has very firmly knocked KOD out of ring.

Other area where it shines and trumps over best of the best artisan soaps is in the moisture retention. Starting with actual lather, with my limited shaving vocabulary, I have to say the lather is low structure and is not ‘crazy slick’ but it very adequate and holds tons of water. Lather doesn’t feel ‘heavy’ in spite of density. Rather it feels very ‘wet’ and light to touch, perhaps that’s the duck fat (my first duck fat soap) at work there for this lather feel. Moving forward, it seems to have a very unique post shave feel, I don’t feel greasy et all and right from first shave I felt my middle age skin is better hydrated and after 1 week use, little more plump and full. EOS formula is the real deal and I’d say it is something else in its own right so I wouldn’t venture to even compare it with 4 GD soaps I have.

Even with $38 landed cost, this soap with expensive high end ingredients gives me a true customer delight and honestly I can’t think of any area of improvement here. But like any customer worth a whine I will shout out @Dragonsbeard it is truly intoxicated scent off the tub but it greatly dissipate upon lathering and leaves me wanting more. Perhaps it is by design that you wanted it such? I would love the scent to be little more stout and remain so upon lathering as well. But I have to say this soap is one of those few soaps whose faint smell, I can feel on skin even after couple of hours (because of real non synthetic scent oils) if I don’t use any aftershave lotion. I want to thank @Dragonsbeard for bringing this out and wish him luck for next endeavor.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
If you are not able to snag any soap on BST, drop me a line and I will post you a spoonful.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the distinction that I scarf the last tub of Limited Edition Dragonsbeard when it came up for sale at west coast shaving. While I don’t have luxury of saying I have tried over 150 shaving soaps and everything else in between. But I do have around 25 of the top rated artisan soaps priced at average of $22. Dragonsbeard might come across bit expensive at $32 but it cost me another $6 out of minimum $19 shipping cost spilt over 2 other soaps.

At this price point my expectations were high on this blind buy and I was particularly drawn to the soap scent description. Right off the open lid, I liked the scent profile on this one. It starts a little sweet smelling but not in a cloyingly sweet way. Rather the sweetness matures into a very muscular scent with a dominant Oud note. Thing with Oud is that as a standalone scent Oud is very dark and heavy scent but singularly unimpressive as a single note (if you ever visit any UAE mall you will understand what I mean; whole place just reeks of very loud Oud in various iterations of badly done blends). Elsewhere most amateur artisans either just kill the Oud with heavy hand on blending or leave it too loud. Frank has done an outstanding blend on this soap and Oud comes out shining; unadulterated without reeking or cloying. This is now one of my favorite soaps scents and for comparison I have WK’s King of Oud in stable but in all fairness KOU comes across obnoxiously loud and unrefined. At worse it smells artificial and I feel as if I am standing in middle of Tobacconist shop somewhere in India where they sell incense sticks, agarwood paste, tobacco, snuff and everything else scented with synthetic Oud. The Oud note is very mature, gentle, refined and natural in this soap. It ticks all Oud boxes for me and has very firmly knocked KOD out of ring.

Other area where it shines and trumps over best of the best artisan soaps is in the moisture retention. Starting with actual lather, with my limited shaving vocabulary, I have to say the lather is low structure and is not ‘crazy slick’ but it very adequate and holds tons of water. Lather doesn’t feel ‘heavy’ in spite of density. Rather it feels very ‘wet’ and light to touch, perhaps that’s the duck fat (my first duck fat soap) at work there for this lather feel. Moving forward, it seems to have a very unique post shave feel, I don’t feel greasy et all and right from first shave I felt my middle age skin is better hydrated and after 1 week use, little more plump and full. EOS formula is the real deal and I’d say it is something else in its own right so I wouldn’t venture to even compare it with 4 GD soaps I have.

Even with $38 landed cost, this soap with expensive high end ingredients gives me a true customer delight and honestly I can’t think of any area of improvement here. But like any customer worth a whine I will shout out @Dragonsbeard it is truly intoxicated scent off the tub but it greatly dissipate upon lathering and leaves me wanting more. Perhaps it is by design that you wanted it such? I would love the scent to be little more stout and remain so upon lathering as well. But I have to say this soap is one of those few soaps whose faint smell, I can feel on skin even after couple of hours (because of real non synthetic scent oils) if I don’t use any aftershave lotion. I want to thank @Dragonsbeard for bringing this out and wish him luck for next endeavor.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
If you are not able to snag any soap on BST, drop me a line and I will post you a spoonful.

What a great and helpful review. Thanks for it.

I have a tub of Dragonsbeard in the pipeline (and am in no big hurry), but appreciate the offer.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I participated in a pass-around of this soap recently and quite enjoyed it too. I'm looking forward to their upcoming new scents. They are also going to make the quantity smaller (4oz vs. 6.5oz) which should pull the price down a bit.

This was a great review. I’m bummed now because I haven’t really heard about this soap until stumbling across this and it sounds quite impressive. The scent seems alluring and all the extra skin benefits sound great. Hopefully we’ll see more like this in the near future.

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a Dragonsbeard set, soap and after shave. While I wholeheartedly agree with the OP as far as the performance and quality of the soap, it’s ingredients, and the post shave feel, the scent just really doesn’t do it for me. To the point that it will probably end up on the BST board. I know from reading other comments and reviews that I am in the extremely small minority with this opinion, and cannot wait to try Dragonsbeard in other scents when available.
The after shave on the other hand, has a very similar yet different scent profile. Slightly cleaner, maybe crisper is a better word. Something added that is not in the soap giving it a profile that I do enjoy. (Weird I know). This aftershave has received unsolicited positive comments to its scent, and I can see keeping in the den and pairing it with other soaps.

This soap is the number one sleeper soap right now. Ppl don’t know about it too much yet and it is flying under the radar. I really been enjoying this soap since Maggards event. Here is a review I posted on another forum and I must say my view on it hasn’t changed with the time I have used it

Review of Dragonsbeard…Oleo and Ethos Collaboration

I wanted to review this soap since I have picked it up at the Maggards meet up. It is a collaboration between Oleo and a new company coming to market Ethos. What I like about this soap is the skin care properties and the post shave feel. The scent is also great and my wife approves it. Im no chemist, but from what I read and have talked to Vida and Frank (Ethos founder) this soap is much more than a shave soap. They both explained that the ingredients are real and not synthetic. Meaning the agarwood resin and oud is the real deal and that is the reason why it is more than other soaps. Both Frank and Vida explained that if a soap claims to have these types of expensive ingredients and the soap does not go up in price its more than likely synthetic, which is never as good as the real deal. In addition, there is duck fat and sheep milk, but it also adds in camels’ milk and EOS complex. Now I do not understand this complex, but I can say I have been using this soap since Maggards and I can say my skin is very soft and clearer. When Vida and Frank explained this EOS complex it is a special blend of exotic skin food ingredients. I know that Frank has been in the skin and hair care business for years after talking to him this is his special ingredient blend to give his products and edge. Getting on to the soap itself…

Scent: Very masculine. There is no denying that this is a scent for a man. To my nose I get a deep dark rich scent with a touch of oud that really sets it off. My wife enjoys the scent and even suggests at times that I use that soap because of the scent it leaves in the bathroom.
Lather: It is more of a low density that reminds me of sour cream when properly lathered. It takes a lot of water like Murphy & McNeil but not nearly as soft as their soaps. The lather also did not take a long time to whip up as compared to BM reserve line, but the lather is very similar.

Cushion and Slickness: I do like aggressive razors, but I have been using a CG LVL 3 with a new feather to test the protection from the soap and it has done well. There is enough cushion that I do not feel that I will cut my face up, yet I still pay attention when I use that razor. The slickness is on par with the best. There have been times where I went over my trouble spots (under my chin and adams apple) without applying more soap and I had no irritation. When talking to Frank he likes to call this “ghost lather” and I would agree with that term.

Post shave: This is the claim to fame in my opinion. There is no need for an aftershave product if you do not want to use one. One trick I have been using is after my shave I apply a thin layer of lather to my face when cleaning my gear up and then rinse off. My skin has not been softer, and my wife has noticed a difference. Since I am a night shaver, I have noticed that post shave has lasted into the morning and that is quite nice when waking up. I would put the post shave up there with M&M, BM, and GD.

Aftershave: Alcohol based, and it also features the EOS complex in a higher amount from what Vida and Frank said. It smells great and it has a nice clean burn to it when splashed on the face. It would have been nice if it came with a restrictor, but when I contacted Frank and Vida that was an error on shipping, and they did not get them in time for Maggard’s. According to them that issue is fixed. The AF did not leave my skin sticky or oily in any way. The lasting power was good, I shave at night and come morning time I can still faintly smell it 6-7 hours later.

Overall: Oleo and Ethos did a great job and I think this soap is currently the number one “under the radar” soap right now. I really look forward to more collaborations and hope they come soon. If you are a soap person this is a must try and that is why I want to do a pass around

This soap is the number one sleeper soap right now. Ppl don’t know about it too much yet and it is flying under the radar. I really been enjoying this soap since Maggards event. Here is a review I posted on another forum and I must say my view on it hasn’t changed with the time I have used it

Review of Dragonsbeard…Oleo and Ethos Collaboration

I wanted to review this soap since I have picked it up at the Maggards meet up. It is a collaboration between Oleo and a new company coming to market Ethos. What I like about this soap is the skin care properties and the post shave feel. The scent is also great and my wife approves it. Im no chemist, but from what I read and have talked to Vida and Frank (Ethos founder) this soap is much more than a shave soap. They both explained that the ingredients are real and not synthetic. Meaning the agarwood resin and oud is the real deal and that is the reason why it is more than other soaps. Both Frank and Vida explained that if a soap claims to have these types of expensive ingredients and the soap does not go up in price its more than likely synthetic, which is never as good as the real deal. In addition, there is duck fat and sheep milk, but it also adds in camels’ milk and EOS complex. Now I do not understand this complex, but I can say I have been using this soap since Maggards and I can say my skin is very soft and clearer. When Vida and Frank explained this EOS complex it is a special blend of exotic skin food ingredients. I know that Frank has been in the skin and hair care business for years after talking to him this is his special ingredient blend to give his products and edge. Getting on to the soap itself…

Scent: Very masculine. There is no denying that this is a scent for a man. To my nose I get a deep dark rich scent with a touch of oud that really sets it off. My wife enjoys the scent and even suggests at times that I use that soap because of the scent it leaves in the bathroom.
Lather: It is more of a low density that reminds me of sour cream when properly lathered. It takes a lot of water like Murphy & McNeil but not nearly as soft as their soaps. The lather also did not take a long time to whip up as compared to BM reserve line, but the lather is very similar.

Cushion and Slickness: I do like aggressive razors, but I have been using a CG LVL 3 with a new feather to test the protection from the soap and it has done well. There is enough cushion that I do not feel that I will cut my face up, yet I still pay attention when I use that razor. The slickness is on par with the best. There have been times where I went over my trouble spots (under my chin and adams apple) without applying more soap and I had no irritation. When talking to Frank he likes to call this “ghost lather” and I would agree with that term.

Post shave: This is the claim to fame in my opinion. There is no need for an aftershave product if you do not want to use one. One trick I have been using is after my shave I apply a thin layer of lather to my face when cleaning my gear up and then rinse off. My skin has not been softer, and my wife has noticed a difference. Since I am a night shaver, I have noticed that post shave has lasted into the morning and that is quite nice when waking up. I would put the post shave up there with M&M, BM, and GD.

Aftershave: Alcohol based, and it also features the EOS complex in a higher amount from what Vida and Frank said. It smells great and it has a nice clean burn to it when splashed on the face. It would have been nice if it came with a restrictor, but when I contacted Frank and Vida that was an error on shipping, and they did not get them in time for Maggard’s. According to them that issue is fixed. The AF did not leave my skin sticky or oily in any way. The lasting power was good, I shave at night and come morning time I can still faintly smell it 6-7 hours later.

Overall: Oleo and Ethos did a great job and I think this soap is currently the number one “under the radar” soap right now. I really look forward to more collaborations and hope they come soon. If you are a soap person this is a must try and that is why I want to do a pass around

I agree! Here’s a review I posted on another forum as well:

I’ve been using Dragonsbeard soap and aftershave in my normal rotation for about the last 3 months and have been very impressed. It loads easily, produces a huge amount of really slick lather, and smells great (wife approved!). Post shave face feel is top notch. Performs with the best artisan soaps out there right now in my opinion.

As good as the soap is, and it is very very good, the aftershave is the star for me. My skin feels great after using it, and it goes on very light and cleanly.

I agree with the feedback about the jars - both to reduce the amount slightly and to get rid of the shoulder, but it sounds like those are being addresses. Overall, I’m extremely impressed with this first release and look forward to trying out future releases. Well done Dragonsbeard!

I agree this soap is flying a bit under the radar but perhaps because it is just first offer from the soap maker. It deserves to get a better traction in due time when more soaps are added.
I have kept shaving with it since my original post and I do not feel hesitant to reiterate that the post shave feel is really good without coming across as greasy. Skin feels better hydrated and supple. I don't think I can ask for more.
The scent is one of my favorite and I can see why. The scent oils are 100% natural and noticeably so. These ingredients if used as 100% natural are costly and will reflect upon the price. I am glad I pulled trigger on a 6oz tub. It will keep me happy for longer period of time.
As I said in original post that Oud is nicely used but after using it for over 15 days I can see the interplay between Oud and Rose absolute. Rose gives a sweet note to dark woody lather like Oud and combination is one fantastically masculine smell. To my nose, even MDC uses natural Rose but their interpretation smell artificial and pretentiously rose to me, similar to Bulgarian rose aftershave I have used for few times. Personally I do not care for rosy rose scent note from European roses. I did not find that note in Dragonsbeard.
I look forward to more soaps from Frank in shoulderless tubs. For a first release the Dragonsbeard was best foot forward and hugely approve of the soap base.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How are you gentlemen using the splash? Since it's a small bottle should it be used by the drop or what? When using GD Serum I apply 6 to 9 drops rubbing the stuff into my damp skin and then follow up with a regular aftershave or aftershave/cologne. But this is not that.

Dragonsbeard (new stuff).480.9-24-19.JPG

I've not used mine at all as it arrived today after I'd shaved. I assume since it's a splash you wouldn't top it with an aftershave or cologne or other fragrance, but is that correct?

Thanks for any tips.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How are you gentlemen using the splash? Since it's a small bottle should it be used by the drop or what? When using GD Serum I apply 6 to 9 drops rubbing the stuff into my damp skin and then follow up with a regular aftershave or aftershave/cologne. But this is not that.

View attachment 1019763

I've not used mine at all as it arrived today after I'd shaved. I assume since it's a splash you wouldn't top it with an aftershave or cologne or other fragrance, but is that correct?

Thanks for any tips.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So what I do Is after I finish my last pass I rinse my face off and use thayers then before my face is completely dry (still damp) I use about a nickel size amount on my hands and apply it like a regular aftershave. It leaves my skin feeling nourished and hydrated without being greasy or sticky. I would not top this skin food off with another aftershave as you will see this is a top tier performer and there is no need to use anything after this product. Hope that helps you Jim, enjoy it!

Jim
Use the Dragonsbeard as you would any other Aftershave. It will take a few days to realize how much better your skin feels and looks but it really works well and it doesn’t have that oily feel to it. I think this is the first step into a men’s grooming product that really contains ingredients that are beneficial to our skin without that oily feeling some of the others out there are making. Hope that helps.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So what I do Is after I finish my last pass I rinse my face off and use thayers then before my face is completely dry (still damp) I use about a nickel size amount on my hands and apply it like a regular aftershave. It leaves my skin feeling nourished and hydrated without being greasy or sticky. I would not top this skin food off with another aftershave as you will see this is a top tier performer and there is no need to use anything after this product. Hope that helps you Jim, enjoy it!
Jim
Use the Dragonsbeard as you would any other Aftershave. It will take a few days to realize how much better your skin feels and looks but it really works well and it doesn’t have that oily feel to it. I think this is the first step into a men’s grooming product that really contains ingredients that are beneficial to our skin without that oily feeling some of the others out there are making. Hope that helps.

Thank you, gentlemen. That helps me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been using Dragonsbeard Soap more, I think, than 50% of the time for the last few months.

Dragonsbeard (new stuff).480.9-24-19.JPG

I've used the Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash after almost every shave over the same time period.

It's impossible for me to know how Frank's next soap will be. This first version of Dragonsbeard is a collaboration as we all know, but it's apparent from what I've read that Frank knows how to improve upon an already good base.

From what I've learned Frank believes his own base, a base which will appear pretty soon from what I've heard, will be somewhat improved over the collaboration version of the soap bearing his name, but that remains to be seen. I've no doubt the first soap he creates and makes totally on his own should be killer, but that's not the same as saying I've used any, nor has anyone. In other words, here I am impatient for the next of Frank's soaps.

Part of the appeal to me in this soap is how light it is and how easily it rinses off my skin. It's not so much that I mind the heavy soaps (the very highly fatted soaps noted for post shave and post post shave benefits), but I've found they tend to clog up the drains in my old house whereas Frank's light soap does not.

My skin is dry and I hate soaps which dry it further.

People say they can use a good soap which lacks post shave and make up for it with their post shave products such as balms. I've never before been quite able to do that.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

However, I've been using Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash in combination with another product Frank told me about. It doesn't enable me to use soaps which are very drying for me (such as MWF), but it does allow me to use one of my favorite pure shaving soaps (but a soap lacking post shave).

NewYearKit.2020.Spalding.ManCop.MdC.640.JPG

Yes, I'm talking MdC...

By using hyaluronic acid and DBSFS I can successfully use my MdC.

Speaking of Martin dd Candre, I find it to have slightly better slickness and ghost lather than DB, but the difference is not significant enough to adversely impact my shaves. Both are great soaps in the slickness, ghost lather arenas. MdC loads and lathers better than anything, too, but I've had no issues there with DB.

With both soaps, the quality of my shaves is great, so I'm putting DB is some pretty impressive company.

I absolutely love the scent of my only MdC, the fougère. I also love the scent of Dragonsbeard, both the soap and the splash.

1578092549193.png

The splash is, of course, not just a splash, but also a unique and amazing skin food. I'm not sure how Frank does it, but he knows a thing or two about how to help a guy's skin, post shave. Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash is magic. Ten drops on damp skin! That little bottle lasts a very long time, too. Mine's about half full after months of daily use.

As much as I love the scent, I'm hot to try the next version, the unscented Skin Food Splash along with a couple of my favorite aftershaves, particularly Atomic Age Bay Rum. I'm also very interested in trying the other products, moisturizers and balms and such, as yet to be fully invented but in the pipeline at least in theory. Anything which can help my dry skin, particularly in the winter, is golden for me.

1578092800339.png

I'm not sure how hard Frank's next soap will be but the current soap is quite hard and has lasted me a long time. It's getting a bit low, but I suspect I might have another month or two of shaves even if I used it almost daily. It's far less expensive per shave than some soft soaps I've used, but it is a luxury product and not cheap.

I'm all about getting a daily Damn Comfortable Shave. I face lather. I shave mostly with a straight razor. I really like Dragonsbeard Soap and Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash, quality products worth what they cost, and more.

How this soap can be so light and yet so good for my post post shave is a mystery I'll never solve. Only Frank knows, but that's okay with me. Oh, did I mention how much I can hydrate the lather? It will hydrate forever without falling apart and running down my chest and belly. That's a huge plus when straight razor shaving.

Downsides? There aren't any.

In addition, if this matters to you, Frank is a really good guy. He's added huge value to this board by creating content worth studying. Yes, I'm talking mostly about his razor shave off, which he worked on forever before he was talked into developing these products, but he's also developed, promoted, and given away a refined, developed, and useful skin stretching system.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

It's not like I own stock in the company or anything. I'm just a customer, volunteer reviewer, and amateur shaver. Frank's an experienced professional in the cosmetic industry, and a newbie to shaving products, but I suspect he might win the Triple Crown in 2020.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great write up Jim. I am also a huge fan of Frank’s Dragonsbeard soap. It is one of my three favorite soaps for 2019, along with DG Milksteak and Zingari Man Sego. And I have dry skin as well, so, like you, I marvel at the fact that Frank has created a soap that is lighter than the two others I mentioned and yet leaves my skin feeling so well conditioned and hydrated. I also love the scent, it’s my favorite scent of the three, with DG Y/R/P and Zingari Magician running closely behind. I can’t wait to see what Frank comes up with on his own in 2020 (hopefully very soon), and will be an early buyer, without a doubt.

I have the Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash as well, but have put it aside for the moment since I have a problem with any product that contains alcohol (other than Cetyl Alcohol and the like). My dry skin just doesn’t react well to anything that has alcohol as an ingredient. I may go back to trying the Dragonsbeard skin food again to see if it can become the exception to the rule, because of the skin loving ingredients that it contains. But I’m also hoping that Frank will come up with some alcohol free balms in the coming year.

I join you in a hats off to Frank for his shave offs and all the other things he does for the wet shaving community, and for his existing and future skin friendly products!

Cully

Agree with all of you on Dragonsbeard! For me, it was the breakout Soap of 2019 and in my top 3! In the past 3 months I’ve opened and smelled that tub of soap as much as Grooming Dept ANGEL! I can’t get enough of either scents. I can’t wait to see what Frank and Moe put out in 2020!

6A1BB7FA-4006-46B0-8833-D56821F22306.jpeg3057E793-D6D8-41E7-BFFB-3FF31097BD92.jpeg2296D33B-021C-4192-A067-95AA65EABD3C.jpegEC8B0A9B-9168-4CB4-BFF2-43FCBAF04F0F.jpeg

Does anyone know where to find this shave soap? Everything I have read has been fantastic and I also liked how oleo products are good for people with eczema.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Does anyone know where to find this shave soap? Everything I have read has been fantastic and I also liked how oleo products are good for people with eczema.
Westcoast shaving has had it, they might be sold out at the moment. I was researching it the other day because I have also heard it is a good soap.

Top Bottom