What's new

How few ties do I really need?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Back when I was teaching I would purchase budget shirts and ties at the same time (around $30 for each at the outlets - but that was many years ago). I usually had about 25 of each - probably more ties as they last longer.

The idea of wearing the same tie every day to work would be pretty dull. I had students who requested I wear certain favorite shirt/tie combos on their birthdays.

I suppose it depends on your attitude: tie is part of your uniform (like mechanic coveralls), or it's part of your fashion.

I'm not sure I ever owned a black tie.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Even if I did do a cull, I think I'd only go from my two full hangers (each holding 10) to one...

In fact, I might just give this a go...

Well, I gave it a go.

I managed to get it down to 20 self tie neck ties, and 8 self tie bow ties. Even though I haven't had to wear a tie in three years, I still don't want to go below that.

Ties are something I own dozens upon dozens of and I can't see that ever changing.

Black is something I don't own, however, and never will. Similar to black suits, it just isn't a very common thing to wear here in Europe aside from funerals where a charcoal suit is more than adequate.

Most of my ties are either plain or very minimally patterned. Nothing too 'loud'.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Black is something I don't own, however, and never will. Similar to black suits, it just isn't a very common thing to wear here in Europe aside from funerals where a charcoal suit is more than adequate.

Interesting.

How do the Europeans generally feel about a non-black tie at a funeral? Over here in Canada it seems that the key is for the suit to be "dark" (charcoal/grey, navy) and the tie black ... a black suit as well is not really expected.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do have a couple of black ties, but they're patterned/textured, rather than just a plain weave. Although, that may well come from me always veering away from plain coloured ties. I'd rather have a plain shirt and (usually) tastefully patterned tie, than the other way round.

As to the funeral thing, it's not something that I tend to see much of in the funerals I've attended. I think there's a general trend away from it, more in favour of "celebrate the life of..." rather than "mourn the passing of...", and I have seen a lot of people go smart but somber, or even smart casual.

Interesting.

How do the Europeans generally feel about a non-black tie at a funeral? Over here in Canada it seems that the key is for the suit to be "dark" (charcoal/grey, navy) and the tie black ... a black suit as well is not really expected.

Typically if it's a funeral the majority will be wearing black ties. Arguably that's the only reason anyone owns one here. Black suits aren't the norm like the U.S. so black ties are seldom worn outside of funerals.

The last funeral I attended -- my Grandfather's -- there were a lot of non-black ties. What matters most is that people have made the time to attend and pay their final respects to those we've lost. My $0.02.

Interesting.

That is fascinating. At my age I seem to be attending more funerals. I do not think I have seen an actual black neck tie at any in recent years. I agree a dark suit (charcoal/grey, navy and not striped or window-paned) would be most appropriate. I have seen gray ("grey," I suppose, in Canada) ties frequently enough, but not solid gray, and have actually been on the look out for a gray tie I liked for just such purposes. The only black tie I have is a bow tie for semi-formal wear. I generally have been wearing a subdued navy tie.

A trip around the internet reveals a lot of variation in advice, including that purple is the most appropriate tie color at a Roman Catholic is purple, that Muslim men would not wear ties at a funeral, and that family members in mourning at a Jewish funeral wear black ties that are cut by the Rabbi. There is advice that a black tie is de rigueur at British funerals. There is advice that a black shirt is appropriate. I cannot vouch for any of this.

One actually only needs one tie to be well dressed for all occassions - a black silk knitted tie. It will go with any shirt - up to and including a blue jeans shirt. That combined with a herring-bone Harris Tweed jacket - perfect!

The original James Bond as conceived by Ian Flemming only wore such a tie. Also to be seen in old French moviess

Top Bottom