What's new

Cheap sunglasses? Nope, cheap razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
First up, an $8.79 three piece closed comb razor that looks somewhat like a Mühle R41:

photostudio_1568154491178.jpg

photostudio_1568154568128.jpg

Looks like it should be a fair shaver.

Thinking that it may benefit from a Merkur top cap:

photostudio_1568154327328.jpg

Should be fun.

YMMV

The blade clamping on the R41 is far superior to this razor. The base plate looks like it was formed from a sheet metal by bending.

If you are going to try shaving with it, I suggest you start with a very forgiving blade.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For that money you don't have much to lose, give it a go and let us know!

The base plate looks like it was formed from a sheet metal by bending.
Looks like die cast zinc alloy to me. Seriously, I think you'd have a hell of a time bending sheet metal to that shape, it's thick.

For that money you don't have much to lose, give it a go and let us know!

Looks like die cast zinc alloy to me. Seriously, I think you'd have a hell of a time bending sheet metal to that shape, it's thick.

You may be right, but the 1st photo looks a lot like a metal stamping.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It looks alright for the price. As @nemo mentioned, give it a go and let us know how you get on with it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning
"First up, an $8.79 three piece closed comb razor that looks somewhat like a Mühle R41:"
A closed comb Muhle R41 is a Muhle R89 ;)
Anyway, interesting razor for that price.
What razor is it?

Thank you. I'm not very familiar with the Mühle line and appreciate your assistance.

Met my goal - learned something new today.

Here is the link to the razor on the auction site:

Double Edge Safety Razor Stainless Steel Manual Traditional Shaving Razor P0D4 818692534662 | eBay

For $9, I am not expecting much and it is definitely NOT stainless steel.

Thank you. I'm not very familiar with the Mühle line and appreciate your assistance.

Double Edge Safety Razor Stainless Steel Manual Traditional Shaving Razor P0D4 818692534662 | eBay

No problem :)
One can never know everything, and in this forum I learn something new every day.
I have seen this on the bay before and never realized it was a Muhle knock-off lol
And stainless steel? Not even Muhle R89/R41 is stainless steel.
Muhle states on their website that the material on the handle is "Chrome-plated metal"

Looks identical to one I got off of AliExpress, and if it is, you're right that it's die cast chrome plated zinc alloy.
I will also add that I quite like mine.

Looking at the eBay listing, this is a Maggard v3a/RR Mentor head which is a decent shaver put on top of a Muhle clone handle. A previous poster found one with a clone of a Feather handle and called it a Feather AS-D2 clone and so these folks are essentially using the same head and putting them on clones of more famous handles. Still, for under $9, you are getting a good efficient shaver with a nice handle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No problem :)
One can never know everything, and in this forum I learn something new every day.
I have seen this on the bay before and never realized it was a Muhle knock-off lol
And stainless steel? Not even Muhle R89/R41 is stainless steel.
Muhle states on their website that the material on the handle is "Chrome-plated metal"

Looks identical to one I got off of AliExpress, and if it is, you're right that it's die cast chrome plated zinc alloy.
I will also add that I quite like mine.

It is fairly light. Makes sense that it would be some sort of alloy.

Looking at the eBay listing, this is a Maggard v3a/RR Mentor head which is a decent shaver put on top of a Muhle clone handle. A previous poster found one with a clone of a Feather handle and called it a Feather AS-D2 clone and so these folks are essentially using the same head and putting them on clones of more famous handles. Still, for under $9, you are getting a good efficient shaver with a nice handle.

Looks like a Maggards V3a

Good to know. Thank you for helping me understand what this razor actually is. :)

I feel much better about letting it touch my face. ;)

Top Bottom