What's new

How long before a boar knot stops stinking?

I bought a new-in-box Rubberset (no number) that has a boar knot. I'm trying to do a 3-day break-in on the knot so I can start to use it next week. I've been soaking it in cold water since Friday, shampooed it once, and had conditioner on it three times. The smell is certainly reduced, but still there.

3.jpg
I'm used to badger brushes, so this boar stink is new to me. Will it ever stop stinking?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
None of my Semogue brushes had that funk, but I do have one Omega that stunk for two or three weeks.

You could try lathering it up with a scented soap or cream - Proraso green or something similar - and then leave the lather in the brush over night. Do a few Dawn dish washing soap lathers. It should eventually fade away, but it may take a while.

Maybe I’m not as sensitive to the smell but I just lathered up my Omega boar and used it as normal. The smell was gone in about a week.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I found that only castile soap kills the boar stink but in surprised that a vintage one would still smell

I found that only castile soap kills the boar stink but in surprised that a vintage one would still smell

I bought a new-in-box Stanley that has a mixed badger and boar knot from a different vendor. It has the same smell.

Boar ‘funk’ is highly variable IMO. Some brushes have little or none, while others have a fair amount. I suggest lathering the brush to get rid of the smell. You can also let it dry between lathers to help the hairs split.

Wash it in some warm water and Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Then lather it up with one of your more fragrant soaps. Maybe do that again. It will dissipate. I would say that for me and my boar brushes, doing the Dawn cleansing and then just using it I can be rid of that stank after no more than 3 or 4 lathers.

The worst one I had smelled over 2 years, but mainly because I wasn't shaving with it often. The more you use it, sooner it will defunk.

Omega 49 - a day or two after a shampoo treatment, and it was not strong to begin with.
Semogue 620 and Wilkinson Sword (with the oval black handle) - no smell to speak of.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Omega didnt really smell but I washed it with Dawn then made a thick lather with a Stirling soap and let the lather in the brush dry over night.

It only smelled of the soap after that.

Use it in the shower to bathe with. Use it like a body scrub with whatever soap you use it'll definitely help and help break in as well... Better if you use a bar soap! I'll be doing this tonight and then the 3 day soak to my new BHB Custom (Omega 49 see Sacrificial pig thread) although it has no smell dry but when wet who knows!

Top Bottom