What's new

Technique vs. Gear

There are numerous misconceptions about your article in comparison to artisanal shaving gear. The report is incredibly vague. I highly doubt that the author plays music, let alone a wooden instrument. The other violins that were compared to the Stradivarius' were not cheap production violins, they were still high quality instruments. There was also no mention of the music and specific musicians playing with violins. The reaction of the musicians might have been different if they were playing a period piece or not (trying to play some Billy Joel or Elton John songs on a harpsichord likely wouldn't sound the best). Also, wooden instruments change and evolve over time and use. A brush will wear with use, but a metal razor won't noticeably change unless it's rust or tarnish.

+1

Regardless, there is a lot of "weiner measuring" regarding expensive hardware/software on this (and other) wet shaving forums.

There are numerous misconceptions about your article in comparison to artisanal shaving gear. The report is incredibly vague. I highly doubt that the author plays music, let alone a wooden instrument. The other violins that were compared to the Stradivarius' were not cheap production violins, they were still high quality instruments. There was also no mention of the music and specific musicians playing with violins. The reaction of the musicians might have been different if they were playing a period piece or not (trying to play some Billy Joel or Elton John songs on a harpsichord likely wouldn't sound the best). Also, wooden instruments change and evolve over time and use. A brush will wear with use, but a metal razor won't noticeably change unless it's rust or tarnish.

+1

Thanks @Bogeyman for sharing the newspaper article. Out of curiosity, I just read the original journal paper (available in the Professor's university web page) and it is very interesting. All details about the experiment can be found there, but were left out of the newspaper article.

FWIW: "[...] The experiment was designed around the hypothetical premise that each soloist was looking for a violin to replace his or her own instrument for an upcoming solo tour. Tests were structured to emulate as far as possible the way a player might do this in real-life. [...]". Essentially, by using goggles, special lighting and choosing instruments with the same finish, the research team ensured that the players had no idea what instrument they were playing. The players had two sessions of 75 minutes to evaluate all instruments as they saw fit.

Concerning the instruments used, the authors mention, "[...] A pool of 15 new and 9 Old Italian violins was assembled by the authors. The new violins (none of which were used in the Indianapolois experiment) were built by professional makers in Europe and North America, and were between several days and two decades old. Makers were invited to submit only instruments that were “antiqued” (i.e., made to resemble old instruments) . [...]". Also, "[...] Six old and six new violins were selected from the pool by means of informal blind tests designed to eliminate instruments with the least impressive playing qualities (SI text). Just which instruments were included in the final twelve was not revealed to the makers, dealers, collectors, and players who submitted them. [...]".

I agree with you @Claudel Xerxes that results from a study of one topic cannot be generalized to another.

And in audio. Some of us are still listening to tube amps and vinyl records. ;)

I'm digital these days but I've built all my amplification for the last 10 years using directly heated triodes from the 1930s and later. I'm not a vintage fan in razors but in the case of tubes they actually sound better so it's a completely contemporary choice.

I have the impression that most guys level up in gear because they want things done easier. Quick to lather soft artisan soaps, synthetic lathermachine brushes that require no maintenance or breaking in, efficient razors that need no blade alignment, no cleaning, no care for handling, no fear of dropping.

'Better' gear is to compensate for lack of technique.

Possible elephant in the room - many like the shopping aspect of this hobby, but few like to actually shave. Anyone got peanuts?

Last edited:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I use 2 Razors for most of my daily Shaves,
I don't have to I just want to.
I have found that each Razor has its own
Personality if you will.
A Vintage Gillette Bulldog saves much different than a Vintage Gillette NEW but I get
a great Shave from both.
Today I used a $20 Slant from RR and a $250
Titanium Timeless scalloped .both Razors shave really nice loaded with new Feather blades. The Titanium Timeless is by far the best shaving Razor that I have ever used .
My Face loves it.

Much like in golf, better equipment can help hide flaws . . . but only to a point.

Technique is of primary importance. Once you have that down you can shave well with virtually anything. Just as Tiger woods will lap the field against a field of 10 handicappers using rental clubs.

Technique. It doesn't matter how cheap or expensive your products are, you still need to learn technique.

Good gears cannot fix technique, but junk gears can somehow restrain technique and great technique can take full advantage of great gears making the experience even better.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm digital these days but I've built all my amplification for the last 10 years using directly heated triodes from the 1930s and later. I'm not a vintage fan in razors but in the case of tubes they actually sound better so it's a completely contemporary choice.

Single Ended Triode amps and big horns. :)

In the audiophile hobby people say they chase better sound, but IMO what they are after is the dopamine kick from having another epiphany, a new paradigm shift. In this shaving hobby we all began by going from canned foam and carts (or electric) to DE, nice brush, good soap/cream, with earth shattering results.

After a while you dialed down your technique and it gets boringly repetitive (its shaving after all), so the craving for another epiphany hit begins, resulting in getting 'better' gear or moving to different style of shaving (straights, SE). Every next step up in price and quality is inversely proportional to the dopamine yield. Eventually some get disenchanted looking back how much they spent on taking down beard stubble and empty their dens, either going minimal or restarting the cycle after a hiatus.

My goal is to keep floating/sidestepping in the nice comfy mediocre middle as long as possible. The trouble is it's a moving goal post. While minimalist guys with their Arkos and zamaks are anchored in budget town, the middle keeps getting more and more expensive.

To me this is a false argument. Your equipment should teach you how to use it. Understand each piece of your equipment and how to bring the best out of it.

Same with musical instruments, you get better results by "listening" to your equipment and adapting to it than by just "using" it.

I was thinking this too... If pressed for a choice, of course Technique first. But that said, there are some nuances. And at the risk of posing a straw man, I don't think a new shaver is doing himself any favors by using a pice of c&*p razor and the cheapest blades he can find, with some harsh, cheap cream.

There are definitley similarities with music (and golf!). A new guitar player will have a much better experience developing technique on a nicer instrument, and the feedback will be much better. The overall effect will be to provide encouragement and a better result, even if the better result is marginal until the technique does improve.

Now, you wouldn't go out and set up a new picker with a custom Rockbridge OOO - that would be silly. :) But you would definitley want to set him up with something that frets easily and sounds good. Martin makes plenty of guitars like that and they are pretty accessible compared to the high end stuff (so does Taylor and all the names you've probably heard). But, buying a no-name five and dime acoustic with plywood back and sides and a laminate top, with frets sticking out the sides of the neck and buzzing up and down the board would be a big mistake. It might be cheap, but for a beginner it would be terrible. It would be uncomfortable to play and sound like s*&t.

Same with Golf Clubs, now that I think more about it.

Learning golf with some old junior blades and persimmon woods would be a terrible way for a new golfer to start. When I started teaching my wife and kids, I got them set up with a decent set - something that had a reasonable amount of new technology, like larger, game improvement/beginner heads for example.

While you need to learn technique, starting off with a decent setup will aid your development.

I think the operative word is "decent." Not a bank-breaking boutique setup, but something that will perform to a reasonable expectation.

I was thinking this too... If pressed for a choice, of course Technique first. But that said, there are some nuances. And at the risk of posing a straw man, I don't think a new shaver is doing himself any favors by using a pice of c&*p razor and the cheapest blades he can find, with some harsh, cheap cream.

There are definitley similarities with music (and golf!). A new guitar player will have a much better experience developing technique on a nicer instrument, and the feedback will be much better. The overall effect will be to provide encouragement and a better result, even if the better result is marginal until the technique does improve.

Now, you wouldn't go out and set up a new picker with a custom Rockbridge OOO - that would be silly. :) But you would definitley want to set him up with something that frets easily and sounds good. Martin makes plenty of guitars like that and they are pretty accessible compared to the high end stuff (so does Taylor and all the names you've probably heard). But, buying a no-name five and dime acoustic with plywood back and sides and a laminate top, with frets sticking out the sides of the neck and buzzing up and down the board would be a big mistake. It might be cheap, but for a beginner it would be terrible. It would be uncomfortable to play and sound like s*&t.

Same with Golf Clubs, now that I think more about it.

Learning golf with some old junior blades and persimmon woods would be a terrible way for a new golfer to start. When I started teaching my wife and kids, I got them set up with a decent set - something that had a reasonable amount of new technology, like larger, game improvement/beginner heads for example.

While you need to learn technique, starting off with a decent setup will aid your development.

I think the operative word is "decent." Not a bank-breaking boutique setup, but something that will perform to a reasonable expectation.

Of course what you are saying is true. Having something better than total junk is obviously preferred. But I highly doubt nOObs make a conscious decision to buy the junkiest, cheapest garbage shaving gear they can find. NOObs are often not knowledgable enough to know the difference between quality gear and garbage. And often their gear has been pif'd to them by a generous member of one of these forums, like me. I was graciously gifted a RR DE89 clone on a EJ DE89 chrome handle. Only now do I realize how nice a gift that was. And there was a tuck of mixed blades in there and not knowing how one was different from the other, I just loaded one in the razor and off I went. Fortunately my first shave was far better than any shave I had ever had over 35 years of shaving with carts. But the point is, nOObs use whatever they can get their hands on. And what incentive is there to spend more money on something you know nothing about and without knowing if you will like it at all. But I agree with all those who have said a nOOb with no technique can hardly shave with anything while an experienced shaver can shave with anything.

If I buy Federer's racket will I be able to hit backhands like Roger? Nope. Not a chance. Technique is everything (plus insane natural talent in Federer's case) but if you gave him a wooden racket, he'd adapt and play some pretty sublime tennis I imagine.

I think the blade matters most. It does all of the cutting, and it's a deal breaker for new and veteran shavers alike.

So, I'm going "gear".

My very first DE shave with a drugstore personna blade 13 years ago went fine.
My second DE shave was with a Merkur blade. It went terribly.

If I shave with a Merkur blade right now, it will go terribly.

Technique is what allows one to approach the potential of the gear. You can swap clubs with Rickie Fowler, but you won't swap scores.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is no dichotomy here. Technique is, of course, always required. I've dropped quite a few strokes off my golf scores by collecting a set of clubs better tailored to my individual needs, as well as the improvements in modern equipment. No, they don't swing themselves - but to insist that equipment makes no difference would be equally as silly.

I can actually purchase another 10 yards with a $529 driver. Do I need another 10 yards (well, who doesn't) and would that 10 yards be worth over $500 are legitimate questions. Does technology make a difference would, again, be a bit of a silly question.

A few years ago my technique was no doubt as good as it was going to get. Daily BBS with a weeper about every 6 weeks was my norm. Since then I've purchased a Wolfman and MdC and I can't remember the last time I had a weeper.

Is that the magic formula for everyone? Of course not - but the equipment fits my individual needs/technique.

If your technique is good you can get a pretty darn good shave with virtually anything. If you've got sensitive skin and a beard like a 12 year old do you want to be using the most aggressive razor you can find with a Feather blade? I doubt it. You could if you had excellent technique, but matching your face/beard/technique to your equipment will no doubt be a happier experience.

Top Bottom