What's new

Head shaving poll

What do you use to shave your head with?

• DE

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • SE

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Straight/shavette

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Electric (FOIL/ROTARY/Skullshaver)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Electric (CLIPPERS/TRIMMER)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Standard cartridge system (Gillette, Schick, etc)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Head shaving specific system (headblade, omnishaver, etc)

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Title says it all: What do you use to head shave (primarily)?

If you want to explain/expand feel free.

I've tried just about everything and am curious as to everyone else's responses. I assume DE will 'win'. I don't have an exact answer as I frequently change method and have found major positives + negatives to every option. I most often use either DE or electric foil shaver.

I primarily use carts, Dorco Pace 4. It’s quicker and easier for me than DE. I do occasionally use DE but it just doesn’t seem to go as well as a cart.

I could only make one selection, but I use both SE and DE razors for shaving my head.
. Do you have a preferred style of razor (open comb, bar, slant, etc) or specific razors you prefer? Or more of a "whatever I use for my face that day" kinda guy?

If I'm in a big rush I'll use a cartridge (Mach3) on my head in the shower. It's quick, easy, and yields a very close shave. I don't like to buy cartridges and I enjoy DE shaving so DE it is. Just so it doesn't take forever to shave I only do my neck and head. Whole face + head with a DE kinda turns into a chore.

All that said, sometimes I'll use my PAL Injectomatic (SE) on both.

Fusion Pro head shaver here. A lot of real estate on the dome and more curved areas than the face makes shaving my head with a DE too much of a chore. That and a weird dent in the back of my head that is too easy to nick with a DE (head nicks bleed like the dickens). I shave my head every 3-4 days and a Fusion Pro cartridge will last me a month or longer. Now, of course I use my boar and Tabac/MWF/Speick/Arko or if in the shower or on vacation some proraso with no brush.

At this point, my head dictates my preferences more than my face. Full head of crazy thick hair and a full, moderately coarse beard. I shave once a week, occasionally twice, mostly due to laziness and a lack of work requirements. After dialing things in for the past few years, I've recently sold off everything in my rotation except the following:

Charcoal Goods level 2 stainless first gen
Charcoal Goods level 2 stainless second gen
Karve C SB
Karve C OC
Timeless .95 SB matte stainless

I started off with a DE, then an injector, and now a Mach 3 cart. I have had a hard time maintaining the correct angle when shaving the back of my head. Too often I nick myself. So now I just use a cartridge and shave every day. I find that I am getting 20 shaves on my head (one pass and touch-ups on the side and back and now can shave my head in about three or four minutes. When I used a DE or injector it was taking me at least two passes and touch-ups and the time to shave was over 20 minutes.

Only partially on topic, but...
transitive verb
1a : to cut off or cut short the hair or wool of : crop, shear
b : to cut off or cut short (a material, such as wool)
2a : to cut off or back the top of (something, such as a tree) specifically : pollard
as a noun...
2a : the top or back of the head​
Coincidence? I think not.

I started off with a DE, then an injector, and now a Mach 3 cart. I have had a hard time maintaining the correct angle when shaving the back of my head. Too often I nick myself. So now I just use a cartridge and shave every day. I find that I am getting 20 shaves on my head (one pass and touch-ups on the side and back and now can shave my head in about three or four minutes. When I used a DE or injector it was taking me at least two passes and touch-ups and the time to shave was over 20 minutes.

Thanks for the details of your journey! At my 'peak' of head shaving technique (I took some time off) I could do 1 pass + touch ups with a DE and a brushless product in about 15 mins but it wasn't a perfect shave by any means. If I want to make sure it's done well, I'm looking at 20 mins or more that I just don't have every day. The mach 3 seems to be a favorite amongst head shavers the more I research around the web but I have enough problems with single blades on my skin that I can't see myself ever going back to multiple.

If I'm in a big rush I'll use a cartridge (Mach3) on my head in the shower. It's quick, easy, and yields a very close shave. I don't like to buy cartridges and I enjoy DE shaving so DE it is. Just so it doesn't take forever to shave I only do my neck and head. Whole face + head with a DE kinda turns into a chore.

All that said, sometimes I'll use my PAL Injectomatic (SE) on both.

Your story is very similar to what I frequently read from head shavers. In all honest, I've got so much neck hair that goes all the way down past my shoulders that I have to literally shave down that low lol. That is the area that really causes me problems with multiple blades. If I use my Braun's pop up trimmer or my Philips oneblade I have no trouble in that area. Just hate having to use so many tools to accomplish one job.

Same set up as my face, gamechanger.84 with a feather or persona red. Once with the grain and once across every three or four days.

Totally mix it up though I'd say my Enders Speed with Schick Proline blade is probably the best suited for the task.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My favorite razor for head shaving is a Barbasol 2 blade disposable. Cheap and efficient . I get about 10 shaves per razor , usually shaving daily . Takes about 15 minutes prep to clean up.

Last edited:
My favorite razor for head shaving is a Barbasol 2 blade disposable. Cheap and efficient . I get about 10 shaves per razor.

Made by dorco, you can buy a case of 100 or 300 for pennies on the dollar if you look around the web.

I use DE exclusively. Based on what carts used to do to my neck I’m a little Afraid to go back and use on my head.

I could only make one selection, but I use both SE and DE razors for shaving my head.
+1 for me too. I probably us DE twice as much as SE so I opted for DE. I use whatever I'm using for my face. I generally do 3 passes on the head vs. 2 on the face. That's usually enough for a very close shave.

I use DE exclusively. Based on what carts used to do to my neck I’m a little Afraid to go back and use on my head.
Same problem here though I don't always have time for a proper DE shave so the guard is great in that regard. Have you tried the new Skinguard? I sacrifice a minor amount of closeness on the top and sides for a drastic reduction in irritation on the back while still shaving with the speed of a cart. Not saying it's a perfect solution but it's a strong contender in my quest to get down to 1-2 'tools' for head shaving that find the best compromise between speed, closeness of shave, and minimal irritation.

Same problem here though I don't always have time for a proper DE shave so the guard is great in that regard. Have you tried the new Skinguard? I sacrifice a minor amount of closeness on the top and sides for a drastic reduction in irritation on the back while still shaving with the speed of a cart. Not saying it's a perfect solution but it's a strong contender in my quest to get down to 1-2 'tools' for head shaving that find the best compromise between speed, closeness of shave, and minimal irritation.

Haven’t tried it yet. Will check it out though. I’ve gotten faster. Can get two plus passes done in just under 20 mins now. Every 2-3 days seems to be ok.

Top Bottom