What's new

No "Shaving Bowl" Sub-Forum Here?

Those are some great bowl, gents! Oversized coffee mugs do great IME. Here's mine.

proxy.php

I can appreciate bowls and mugs, I love then and have my share of them, but I face lather now. I do love putting my soaps into a mug or bowl, I like loading them better than the jars they come in.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Here's another viewpoint: Face lathering works better for me. The lather I get from a bowl is lighter and more airy than face lather and not as slick or protective. My first face-lathering pass may give me lather that's too dry and thick, but, after 1 or 2 brush dips in warm water, another pass gets it right. Face lathering saves time too.

This summer I face lathered about half the time - for one and two pass shaves in the middle of a golf day. Other than being neater, my bowl lather is exactly the same as the lather I build on my face. There is something wrong with your process if you're getting different lather from a bowl.

This summer I face lathered about half the time - for one and two pass shaves in the middle of a golf day. Other than being neater, my bowl lather is exactly the same as the lather I build on my face. There is something wrong with your process if you're getting different lather from a bowl.

You can't get Santa beard for 4 passes without bowl lathering. It's a personal preference.

Those bowls look really nice habaz2. And the grain in the third blue bowl is gorgeous. I have to ask why wood has an advantage over metal in retaining heat? I'm no scientist so forgive my naivety. I always thought that metal retains heat better than wood.

I've enjoyed all your comments and photos on this thread.
It's great seeing you back on our forums Frank Zappa. Welcome home !

81ZBKAqZoIL._SY679_.jpg 71qT4g+PdOL._SX522_.jpg Here is the bowl that I use on occasion. It is plastic, has ripples in the bottom which helps with the lathering. And it was $13 bucks plus shipping. It is the Timeless shaving bowl from Amazon.

When I started shaving my mom gave me a nice mug out of her cupboard, I dropped in a puck of Williams soap and dad showed me how to make a nice lather right off the puck. I still do the same these days only I press my soap into a bowl. I like large ceramic bowls that I usually find fairly cheap in thrift shops.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I started shaving my mom gave me a nice mug out of her cupboard, I dropped in a puck of Williams soap and dad showed me how to make a nice lather right off the puck. I still do the same these days only I press my soap into a bowl. I like large ceramic bowls that I usually find fairly cheap in thrift shops.
Very nice beginnings story sir. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I just bought a ceramic bowl that I think was made for soup. Works really nice. I bought it for $1 at a second hand store, if I recall. My memory could be better.

I use a Fine lather bowl that I got from one of the fine members of this forum. It is shallow enough that I don't bang my brush's handle against the sides. Many say it is too shallow and they can't keep the lather from spilling over the sides, but that has not been a problem for me. I've been using the bowl for over a year and spilled a tiny bit of lather maybe three times. I always have enough for three passes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use a Fine lather bowl that I got from one of the fine members of this forum. It is shallow enough that I don't bang my brush's handle against the sides. Many say it is too shallow and they can't keep the lather from spilling over the sides, but that has not been a problem for me. I've been using the bowl for over a year and spilled a tiny bit of lather maybe three times. I always have enough for three passes.
Aren't the gentlemen on here awesome?

Top Bottom