What's new

Finally beginning to like my synthetic Chubby 2

Being mostly a badger kind of person I purchased several synthetic brushes in the last year or so to see what the fuss was all about. Frankly, I wasn't too impressed with synthetics and thought maybe they just weren't for me.

Until fairly recently I have exclusively been face lathering and never could get the synthetics to work for me in this fashion. However, the last couple of weeks I've tried used the Simpson Synthetic Chubby 2 for bowl (Timeless) lathering and, Ka-boom!, this has worked wonderfully for me. I can even get decent lather from a synthetic Simpson Classic 1 brush.

I am quickly become a convert to bowl lathering with all of my brushes, and especially my synthetics. Also, I have to throw kudos out to Timeless for producing a very effective lathering bowl. Best $12 I ever spent.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Synthetics are different in use. They dont need nearly as much water and despite the softness, they splay differently than either badger or boar.

Synthetics are all I use now. I face lather and dip the tips to get the right amount of water in my lather.

Synthetics are different in use. They dont need nearly as much water and despite the softness, they splay differently than either badger or boar.

Synthetics are all I use now. I face lather and dip the tips to get the right amount of water in my lather.
Esox, thanks for sharing your experiences with synthetics. Good thoughts. :)

Glad to hear you are getting your investment pay dividend. Owners report the Chubby Synth breaks in with time, the knot relaxes, splays easier and has better flow.

The only bad thing about the Chubby 2 synthetic is, in my opinion, the price. Otherwise it's my favourite Simpson and a first class bowl lathering brush. As stated above bowl lathering is where synthetic brushes in general shine.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I love my Chubby 2 synth and, like you, have nothing but good things to say about the blue Timeless lather bowl.

I'm in! :)

IMG_1947.JPG

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Simpson Chubby 2 is the Best synth, and I've tried a bunch, though as someone notes, it is expensive. Better than the Shavemac, way better than my Plissons. Better, albeit marginally, than a Maggards Black & White that I set in an old MadeRite handle. I've tried & sold the Yaquis, PAA etc etc.

Still doesn't do like the badger though

Still doesn't do like the badger though

True, but, at least for me, synthetics are finally gaining some traction. Now I don't feel like I've got a bunch of money tied up in brushes I'm not using.

...However, the last couple of weeks I've tried used the Simpson Synthetic Chubby 2 for bowl (Timeless) lathering and, Ka-boom!, this has worked wonderfully for me. I can even get decent lather from a synthetic Simpson Classic 1 brush.

I am quickly become a convert to bowl lathering with all of my brushes, and especially my synthetics. Also, I have to throw kudos out to Timeless for producing a very effective lathering bowl. Best $12 I ever spent.

Congratulations! Persistence is often the key to getting optimal results!! :a29:

I find the Chubby 2 synthetic to be a nice brush but I prefer a Muhle STF or the RazoRock Big Bruce. Work better for me.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are getting your investment pay dividend. Owners report the Chubby Synth breaks in with time, the knot relaxes, splays easier and has better flow.
This is true. Though it's still a synthetic. Nothing beats a Chubby 2 badger.

Funny you should say that; initially, I didn't care for the synth Chubby 2 as I was expecting a wall of synth hair since of course, this was a Chubby. even after several uses, I still thought it was 'meh'.

However, now that it has had it's break-in time(the only synth in my possession to do so), it truly performs much better than in the beginning. While it doesn't have the Chubby wall of synth hair, it lathers like nobody's business. When I want the heat and the wall of hair, I just lather up w/ either my Chubby 2 or Chubby 3 in Best.

Eventually, I'll get around to purchasing a Chubby 2 in Super and complete my set.

marty

Top Bottom