What's new

My cheap shave: olive oil

I’d use Dr Bronner’s Castile soap as a shower face wash and shave with my cart for years. Still will with a track II on the road. I’ve lathered a bar of Ivory soap (and prefer it to new Williams. And more inexpensive too) for a straights shave.

It’s easy to shave simply.

Last edited:
View attachment 903400 View attachment 903398 I shave the same as Actuarius but not olive oil a fine oil. Just hot water in the shower, soap If anything Irritates my skin the few time I’ve tried different soap over the years. It’s not a question of cheap,

You always got to look at the positive... a fast clean shave were u can easily pull your skin with your fingers, less staining on the blade and a 0 environmental foot print for shaving.

Actuarius, have u tried a nice old wedge dry, After a shower? sometimes I clean up a 3rd pass dry, and get a even closer shave.

Never a wedge. I am not even sure what it is. But sometimes I will clean up a missed spot with the Dorco dry except for remaining olive oil.

I’d use Dr Bronner’s Castile soap as a shower face wash and shave with my cart for years. Still will with a track II on the road. I’ve lathered a bar of Ivory soap (and prefer it to new Williams. And more inexpensive too) for a straights shave.

It’s easy to shave simply.

I’ve always wondered how that would go! It smells so good, is heavily mentholated and says right on there you can use it for shaving. Not a shower shaving type of guy (i like the ritual kept separate from my shower) but more than once i’v contemplated using the dr bronners. Have you tried it with a DE?

Have you tried it with a DE?

not sure which is mentholated, I've used almond, tea tree, and peppermint. maybe citrus. I want to say almond is probably the softest, biggest lather of those.

yeah, I've done it with DEs, just not a regular thing, and I haven't used DEs in years. I've done it with Gems too, but again.... that's also my seldom used, go to backup. there's plenty enough glide, almost no cushion, so mind your technique. never tried it with a straight, because I don't want to get my straights that wet in the shower on teh tang or pivot, much less drop one. at the sink? I'll have appropriate shave gear with me, even on the road, so I don't see the point with a straight. when I do it these days, I'm just trying to get out the door on the road, so a quick shower shave is easy. easy enough with a DE/SE too if your technique is good enough to not cause irritation.

Last edited:
not sure which is mentholated, I've used almond, tea tree, and peppermint. maybe citrus. I want to say almond is probably the softest, biggest lather of those.

yeah, I've done it with DEs, just not a regular thing, and I haven't used DEs in years. I've done it with Gems too, but again.... that's also my seldom used, go to backup. there's plenty enough glide, almost no cushion, so mind your technique. never tried it with a straight, because I don't want to get my straights that wet in the shower on teh tang or pivot, much less drop one. at the sink? I'll have appropriate shave gear with me, even on the road, so I don't see the point with a straight. when I do it these days, I'm just trying to get out the door on the road, so a quick shower shave is easy. easy enough with a DE/SE too if your technique is good enough to not cause irritation.

I was referring to the original peppermint. Between the peppermint and menthol that stuff leaves a nice chill on your skin. My only problem and the reason i still haven’t used it for shaving is it dries out my skin. I keep it in the shower to strip off oil and grime if i’m working on a car or some other dirty job. It’s great stuff but very concentrated.

It’s great stuff but very concentrated.

I don't think the peppermint has any menthol in it, just the peppermint oil. just looked, and it does. didn't know that.
it's only as concentrated as you make it. it's easily watered down, or in the shower, just use less and more water...

the almond is much softer on the skin than peppermint, and as I said, a thicker, richer lather if you want to try a small sampler. I like the peppermint because it makes a great laundry/dish/shampoo/body soap out in the woods/bush, and I don't have to worry about where I dump it.

There's absolutely nothing cheap about olive oil, unless you use the nasty stuff from pressed pips. I can't stand the smell of that thing, reminds me of stale fish guts.

IME there's absolutely no need for any lubricants during shower shaving. Price = zero.

Top Bottom