What's new

Joris/Fatip lovers reviews and pics thread!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Oh yeah! Fatip Grande Mk1! :001_wub:
rsz_019.jpg

Stunning photos of two of my very favorite Fatips. I've always wanted to try Musgo Cream. I like the RR Synths. I have the Bruce handle myself.

The Big Bruce is my wife's brush, and she uses the Fatip Wenghe more often now I have the Black Tie. I haven't used the Musgo yet, but am dying to get to it. Will report!

:thumbsup: Please do!
Hey, It took a while but I did break into that Claus Porto Musgo Classic Scent. It's green. The two main aromas are coconut and witch hazel, it's not as bad as you might think. Not a super-masculine scent and does not linger after shaving. The green shaving cream turns to kind of white once rubbed on your face (I was on vacation and I didn't bring a brush).
It works fine; I had to add a little water with my hand to make it foam up. I hope to try some of the other scents.

I bought the Fatip Special Edition set a few months ago. This set has the version 2 base plates. Didn't really like the Gentile base plate. I do like the Picollo base plate though.
Had a wee play with the Fatip lately. It now sports a Muhle R89 cap (because the wee 'pins' on the cap seem slightly better made, and this has helped with blade alignment). It also allows me to use other 'normal' thread handles.
So I bunged on a Razorock Halo handle.
This is what has made the Picollo a great razor. That extra length and weight suits me.
Here it is along with my NEW SC, and my Timeless OC all lined up in toothy goodness (just because at the moment it's the only photos I have showing the Picollo with the Halo handle...so you get to see all my OC's).
Yes, I like my OC razors. My favourite?
Love the NEW, it's a sweet wee thing.
Love the Picollo, shaves well, nice and smooth. Plus such great value if you buy the Special Edition set.
Really love the Timeless (but we won't talk about that as it's not a Fatip).
Would like a Schone too (one day when Missus isn't watching).
Anyway, for me, the Picollo with the extra weight and length of the handle has made a good razor into a great razor.

Just got the Fatip Piccolo Mk1 and I'm happy to report that blade alignment is SPOT ON PERFECT. :001_tt1:

This is a completely different animal to the Mk2. Lots of blade feel, flexing, chatter, very loud feedback. Despite this I shaved as carelessly as I do with the Mk2 and got no nicks or weepers. I'll keep on using it during the following week, then go back to Mk2 and decide which should be kept as my daily driver.

This is my first Piccolo handle and I honestly like it more than the Grande.

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just got the Fatip Piccolo Mk1 and I'm happy to report that blade alignment is SPOT ON PERFECT. :001_tt1:

This is a completely different animal to the Mk2. Lots of blade feel, flexing, chatter, very loud feedback. Despite this I shaved as carelessly as I do with the Mk2 and got no nicks or weepers. I'll keep on using it during the following week, then go back to Mk2 and decide which should be kept as my daily driver.

This is my first Piccolo handle and I honestly like it more than the Grande.

proxy.php

Interesting how we like different handles. I strongly dislike and don't do well with the Piccolo handle. A Grande handle transforms a Piccolo razor into a far better instrument (for me).

Congratulations on the Mk1. I like all my Fatips (and the Schöne and the Plisson), but my favorite by far is the Mk1 Grande.

I suspect my in transit Fatip Slant will be another favorite but already I'm hoping the model they "copied" was the Mk1 and not the Mk2.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting how we like different handles. I strongly dislike and don't do well with the Piccolo handle. A Grande handle transforms a Piccolo razor into a far better instrument (for me).

Congratulations on the Mk1. I like all my Fatips (and the Schöne and the Plisson), but my favorite by far is the Mk1 Grande.

I suspect my in transit Fatip Slant will be another favorite but already I'm hoping the model they "copied" was the Mk1 and not the Mk2.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Only one shave in. Time will tell what my preference ends up being. I'll try it with the Grande handle after a week. We must amuse ourselves while the slant is in transit.

And Cella is no more.

proxy.php

proxy.php

On Shave #2 I discovered that Fatip Mk2 can be as quiet and smooth as the Mk1 if I adjust the angle (towards shallow).

First use of these Super-Max Super Stainless blades (India). I read they are absolute trash, but they shaved as good as Astra SP or GSB or ... and I find them quite sharp in the Piccolo. I can buy these locally 100 for $9. Cheaper than BIC and three times cheaper than Gillette Platinum.

Confirmation on the Piccolo handle appeal. Much less slippery with lathered fingers. I really like it and feels natural holding it, although I can tell the Grande is the more balanced razor. I must have muscle memory left from the Aluminium Tech I used years ago (similar size).

Today I changed the base plate between the Fatip Grande mk2 and the Piccolo mk1. I noticed the mk2 base plates are thicker and slightly heavier, profile/curvature being identical. The result is absolutely perfect balance for the Piccolo in the hand, and a notch up on efficiency + aggressiveness. This little thing is amazing. The Grande even though is with pleasantly thicker handle, it's less balanced, less manoeuvrable, less grippy.

Today's shave was with the tweaked Piccolo mk1.2 and a BIC Chrome Platinum on a second shave, and I barely survived. There was blood. A proper gore. :death:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Today I changed the base plate between the Fatip Grande mk2 and the Piccolo mk1. I noticed the mk2 base plates are thicker and slightly heavier, profile/curvature being identical. The result is absolutely perfect balance for the Piccolo in the hand, and a notch up on efficiency + aggressiveness. This little thing is amazing. The Grande even though is with pleasantly thicker handle, it's less balanced, less manoeuvrable, less grippy.

Today's shave was with the tweaked Piccolo mk1.2 and a BIC Chrome Platinum on a second shave, and I barely survived. There was blood. A proper gore. :death:

Thank you for the write up. Now you have me curious. I'm going to go through my Fatip drawer and compare all baseplates. So, the Mk1.2 is a notch up. At some point I'm probably going to have my caps and baseplates all mixed up because of threads like this...thanks, Vlad, thanks :001_tongu

Thank you for the write up. Now you have me curious. I'm going to go through my Fatip drawer and compare all baseplates. So, the Mk1.2 is a notch up. At some point I'm probably going to have my caps and baseplates all mixed up because of threads like this...thanks, Vlad, thanks :001_tongu

It tilts the fulcrum point a bit towards the head. I think at shallow angles (how I use Fatips) it feels like it becomes more head heavy. But at neutral angle it now feels perfect. I shouldn't have poked it with a stick though. It bites back.

Top Bottom