What's new

Griddles

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
So this is just my personal experience
I went to HD and got a 28” nexgrill griddle brought it home and seasoned it , first time I went to cook on it it warped and looked like a Pringle’s potato chip. Not only was it impossible to cook on it was dangerous, opposite corners were 4” off the deck. Needless to say I returned it. I then got a blackstone way better constructed and the cook top has 4 steel reinforcements to stop any warping. I really like this one and hope to use it a lot.
Cheers

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Mine is over 30 yrs old. Big, heavy steel plate. Heat them up slow. Keep them fairly well seasoned.

Timely post for me as I ordered a stovetop griddle today. Stainless steel to replace my older teflon griddles.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Chris

my wife complained when i brought home a cast aluminum griddle so i picked up a baking steel to use instead, love cooking on it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I much prefer cast iron griddles on the stovetop.

We used a cast aluminum stovetop griddle for years but could never get it even close to 'non-stick'. It had a nice reservoir to capture the fats but was a real pain to clean up.

The cast iron griddle that we have been using the past few years heats more evenly and cleans up easily.

The large steel plate mentioned above is for our outdoor grill that has two 50,000 BTU propane burners.

i gave up on stove top griddles...
I use instead 2 Griswold skillets, a 12" and 14", do the same job with less splatter.
For outdoor i have Camp Chef stove top, maybe 15 years old, if not more, works like a charm... something like this:
proxy.php

Stovetop griddles just aren't big enough for what I want to do, so I've got a 36" Blackstone. It's great. Stir fries, omelets, breakfast, and it's big enough to work in so I don't make a mess.

Wow, timely post. As an experiment picked up a 22" portable blackstone griddle to see if I would use it. I have discovered that I am a big fan of the concept but I need something bigger and I want to add more heat.

When I move into my new house I want to upgrade to 36 inch or so but I want to make sure I get one with enough ooomph. The BS 36 is 60k BTU and the other one I have seen is the crown verity 36 is 79k BTU (but much more expensive...) In an ideal world I would have a side burner (or separate cart) for a wok/plow disk/paella pan but I have not found anything like this.

Not sure what I am going to do but I will be looking for an upgrade to my 22 inch table top version to get more area and a bit higher zoot on the burners.

Ruckin.

Has anyone found a griddle that worked well on an electric stovetop? I've got a lodge cast iron and a no name aluminum non-stick. I would rate them both "meh". OK, but not very even heat, and slow to cook bacon. If I crank up the two burners to where the midpoint is hot enough, the burner zone is too hot. Neither has what I would consider an adequate grease channel.

Has anyone found a griddle that worked well on an electric stovetop? I've got a lodge cast iron and a no name aluminum non-stick. I would rate them both "meh". OK, but not very even heat, and slow to cook bacon. If I crank up the two burners to where the midpoint is hot enough, the burner zone is too hot. Neither has what I would consider an adequate grease channel.
I have both and pretty much agree with your assessment. The aluminum one is better for pancakes and the like since it heats more evenly. I can make do with the iron one for bacon, but it's fiddly and takes a while. The square iron one is great for making pizza!

I have the AllClad two burner Grande griddles. One has ridges for bacon and the grease flows away nicely. The smooth one is a pancake machine. Anodized surfaces are easy clean up also. I love them.
proxy.php

proxy.php

haven't used a griddle since 1965. just not a fan of pancakes. thought recently I might just try one again but with electric don't think so. fun to be a benihana for friends though

I have the AllClad two burner Grande griddles. One has ridges for bacon and the grease flows away nicely. The smooth one is a pancake machine. Anodized surfaces are easy clean up also. I love them.
I may try the smooth. In a pinch, I can do bacon/eggs on the smooth one too.
thanks!

For those interested, bj's has the blackstone 28 " propane,griddle on sale looks like the one above., w free shipping, for $149. No affiliated, but those who may be interested, you can always a get a 1 day membership if your not a member.

Top Bottom