What's new

August 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

4277829A-37C4-431E-9169-5F3330E26F86.jpeg

Still in.

Ive not seen this soap before. What’s it like?

Aww, I’m the pits at describing scents, but it’s bright and summery.

According to Try That Soap, it has “top notes of lemon, rosewood, orange blossom, sweet mandarin, bergamot, melon, and sweet peach. Middle notes are comprised of cyclamen, rose, jasmine, osmanthus and iris root. The base notes are musk, cedar, amber, moss and sandalwood.”

Sadly, I recall seeing a notice some months back that Stirling had discontinued Sunflower Fields.

CDB4D498-262D-4AEC-B859-7D6CFD67EE61.jpeg

Still in. Not only still in, out of maybe 25 soaps/splashes apparently this is my go to this month.

I’m extra GRUME ya’ll.

Seriously tho, pretty impressed with WSP lately. This stuff just works really well for me; it’s hard not to choose it.

Still in.
IMG_20190820_053227-01.jpeg

Killed one stick of Arko this Arko August. Working on the 1st if two backups I had. Guess I'm down to a backup (as in singular). Interesting concept... One backup. Hmmmmmm ...

Still in.

Great shave this morning with a Feather SS folding shavette loaded with a ProGuard blade on its 5th or 6th shave. I used a soap I haven't used in a while, Soapy Science in the Lollipop Citrus scent. Very refreshing and uplifting scent.

I did one pass of my two-days' growth and it was obliterated on the cheeks. Needed a tiny bit of clean-up along the jaw line and on the low neck.

The Feather SS has the most amazing first-pass reduction of any shaving implement I've ever tried. It feels like you are literally just using a squeegee to completely remove the stubble. Fantastic.

Still in.
View attachment 1009697
Killed one stick of Arko this Arko August. Working on the 1st if two backups I had. Guess I'm down to a backup (as in singular). Interesting concept... One backup. Hmmmmmm ...
Must be nice to be back with your straights eh? That said, I'd give up all my straights to be living on a boat. Better than what I would have to give up in the real world - namely my wife and kids.

Wait.... Hmmmmm

Must be nice to be back with your straights eh? That said, I'd give up all my straights to be living on a boat. Better than what I would have to give up in the real world - namely my wife and kids.

Wait.... Hmmmmm
Haha I’ll send the wife and kids to hang out with yours. We can go sailing on the boat still!

Another revisit!
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Timeless Titanium .95OC
Thater Premium Boar
Astra ×3 (NOT!!! More like 6!)

Puck was dry and cracked so a soak overnight brought it back to life. Latered wonderfully and done a good job. Then I have nicks and irritation and redness on the face! So for the head shave I went with A&E St. Barts. Same results! ***!? Afterwards the wife called and said she used my Timeless Titanium .95OC on her legs this morning and liked it until the end. She said.... "I think that blade is done, change it before you shave." Uhhmmm.... too late Dear, I thought I was using it for the 3rd time! Legs are a lot of area. Astra SP last me 3 head and face shaves so this blade was the culprit in this bad shave! Saving Grace was an Alum block and A&E St. Barts AS Balm. This AS Balm ROCKS! I don't care if the wife or daughter use my razors but please tell me before i use it again. They don't think about changing the blade! Oh well, such is life! I now need to revisit the Fat in 2-3 days.
20190821_110952.jpg

Patti, nice looking razor with the new Tibam handle!

I'm still in. Using the Feather SS folding with ProGuard blades for the past three shaves.

For this morning's lather, I actually pulled out a large sample I had in my closet of a Soapy Science beta-testing soap, about one change from what actually became the retail soap. I remembered that it was a nice soap, even though they improved upon it slightly for the finished product. As I found I had quite of bit of this beta-soap remaining, I thought I'd see whether I should keep it and shave all the way through it or forget about it. I couldn't remember how much different it was from their eventual retail formulation.

So, I had two samples, one in Doc's Special Blend and one in Lollipop Citrus. I chose the Doc's Special Blend because I love it. It lathered up really well. The structure of the lather is not quite as tight as the retail version, but it is as good as many retail soaps, and better than most. The scent strength of the beta-soap is definitely stronger than that of the retail soap, which I enjoyed. Because of that, it also had a nice cooling effect that is much less intense in the retail soap (the scent contains peppermint and wintergreen). It smelled great and it felt great. Better yet, it shaved great with the SS. Smooth and comfortable shave today.

Looks like, software wise, I could stay in the GRUME for a long, long time now that I found two extra pucks of soap that are perfectly usable.

On the hardware side, though, now that I've really started to like this Feather SS, I suspect a purchase of this razor is in my future. Maybe I could ask for it for my birthday or Christmas (birthday mid-November). I'm not sure if I can wait that long, lol.

Top Bottom