What's new

Did I do something wrong on my semogue 610

C3677B23-03F7-466A-8457-6DD644DEF872.jpeg
Hello everybody, I am new to wet shaving and has been breaking in my 610 brush for more than 2 weeks. However the outer bristle curve aggressively. Is this normal? Thanks

It's (k)not uncommon. Semogues are noted for their wide bloom. What surprises me is how tight the bulk of the knot is.

Thank you lancre, yes the bulk of knot is tight, maybe i usually squeeze the excess water before loading the brush which causing this problem

Will this improve over time? I hate the looking of this brush now :(

Thank you lancre, yes the bulk of knot is tight, maybe i usually squeeze the excess water before loading the brush which causing this problem

Will this improve over time? I hate the looking of this brush now :(

Could be just how your brush dries on the stand. After shaking excess water, towel strop few times and leave it to dry without a stand. It will all be fuzzy and weird, the Semogue way.

I'm assuming you go 2 days between uses. Try dropping the brush into a toilet paper roll for the second day's drying to kind of "train" it. I don't have a 610, but this is what my 3 year old 830 looks like with the technique I described. BTW, if the brush is still some what wet, it's GOING to look crazy
.semogue830.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Looks like a normal Semogue to me. The trick is to shake and wipe your brush on a towel. Wet your fingers under running water. Then form the wild hairs to the bulk of the knot by wetting them. Let it dry on the stand. When mostly dry fluff it out a bit by wiping it on your palm. Stick it in a toilet paper tube for a couple of hours. It will look "pretty" then.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm assuming you go 2 days between uses. Try dropping the brush into a toilet paper roll for the second day's drying to kind of "train" it. I don't have a 610, but this is what my 3 year old 830 looks like with the technique I described. BTW, if the brush is still some what wet, it's GOING to look crazy
.View attachment 1009731
^^^This^^^ You got to it first.

Semogue uses a finer grade of boar than others, say Omega. As such they tend to bloom out big and fluffy when broke in. It takes a while, but I find them softer than a badger, while the courser hair tends to hold it shape and have more backbone.

These are my two favorites, a Semogue 830 on the left, the other is a knot I got from The Golden Nib, who tends to use the finer grade also. Both make a mean lather, both are soft and gentle.

Brush.jpg

It looks normal to me. The bristles on the outside of the brush will dry faster because they are exposed to more air. Just pull it thru your hand one time it will straighten it out.

Thank you guys for your advices!I wonder should I let it stand on its own instead of using a metal stand when it completely dry out? I saw most of your brushes are standing on its handle instead :001_302:

Thank you guys for your advices!I wonder should I let it stand on its own instead of using a metal stand when it completely dry out? I saw most of your brushes are standing on its handle instead :001_302:

I have a shaving stand like yours to let it dry after shaving, the next day if I am using other brush I take it from there an put it knot up on other place. But I have the stand to make my bathroom look more tidy and organized, not because it make any difference to the drying.

Cheers

Thank you very much!
Actually I am eyeing on an alternative brush and want to try something new
Thinking between

Omega 011842
Semogue SOc
Or any best badger brush

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
Actually I am eyeing on an alternative brush and want to try something new
Thinking between

Omega 011842
Semogue SOc
Or any best badger brush

Any suggestions?

I have and I like both the SOC boar and the SOC badger. I can't really comment on the Omega as I don't have that particular model. Having said that, I've never seen either Omega or Semogue put out a bad brush. It's just a question of buying the one that suits you.

That looks normal to me. Most Semogue boar brushes tend to bloom and curve outwards. It looks nice when it dries up.

For the OP, it’ll bloom out more than that as it continues to break in. As soon as you soak it to lather up, it’ll be tight. Until you dry it off. I don’t worry about it at all and it doesn’t affect the performance in any way. I’ve even managed to bloom some Omegas by drying them on a towel before putting them up. Put them in their travel tubes after that, and they dry tight. Omegas in front of my SOC

795FCF61-1AFE-420B-A85F-EBFB02658D22.jpeg

To use a stand or not... entirely up to you, I’ve found they make no difference.

Top Bottom