What's new

Shaving cool down time

So I shaved three days ago with some Cella and pre shave oil from the Art of Shaving and it was a great shave. Normally I've been shaving once a week because my face can't really handle shaving every day or every other day. Thought I'd shave today thinking I've been doing this since I was 13, surely my face has toughened up since then. Boy was I wrong. Used Proraso white for sensitive skin along with the matching preshave cream and a Astra SP blade. Arguably one of the worse shaves I've ever had. My face particularly under my chin did not like having a razor glide on it this morning. Guess I'll go back to shaving once a week. Anyone else have to give their face a rest after a shave for a few days?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Anyone else have to give their face a rest after a shave for a few days?

When I was using cartridges I needed to rotate with an electric because my skin couldnt take it. Since changing to DE it hasnt been a problem shaving every other day. I could even shave every day if I felt the need but I rarely do.

Which razor are you using?

I shave daily with minimal irritation.

To me the key is technique. Period. :a14::a14:

Hardware and software make a difference, but far less than technique. Just my $0.02!

When I was using cartridges I needed to rotate with an electric because my skin couldnt take it. Since changing to DE it hasnt been a problem shaving every other day. I could even shave every day if I felt the need but I rarely do.

Which razor are you using?
Used a Micro one touch I got as a gift when I started DE shaving when I was 15. Had it for 6 years now with no real problems which is why I'm thinking I just have sensitive skin that needs a rest.

Astra SP give me a rough shave too and I'm 54. I like Nacets, or Silver Blue's in my Flare Tip Superspeeds, and my Slim Adj.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Used a Micro one touch I got as a gift when I started DE shaving when I was 15. Had it for 6 years now with no real problems which is why I'm thinking I just have sensitive skin that needs a rest.

If you're familiar with everything you're using, that should narrow the cause substantially. If on the other hand, you've changed one thing, blade, soap or brush, that could be a cause.

If you do make a change, try and change only one thing at a time and give yourself time to adjust to that change. In the meantime, use your best judgement, let your skin heal and start over.

If I go hard at BBS for a straight week or so I’ll take a day just to rest on it.

Most of the time I’m doing 2 pass DFS shaves daily.

Like said above, technique makes the difference, as does finding out which blades work best for your face.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Every other day works for me. I can’t shave every day. I typically wait a week or more just because i’m lazy though.

Have you got any other blades to try. I don't think you have sensitive skin. I had the same problem until I learned proper technique. You might be using too much pressure, or the wrong angle. For me it was using too much pressure to get a smooth shave. I also switched to a sharper blade. Nacets are sharp smooth blades for me.

Have you got any other blades to try. I don't think you have sensitive skin. I had the same problem until I learned proper technique. You might be using too much pressure, or the wrong angle. For me it was using too much pressure to get a smooth shave. I also switched to a sharper blade. Nacets are sharp smooth blades for me.

Well my past few shaves have been with Derby Premium blades and they've been great. Went back to the Astra SP blades I've been using for the past 6 years today and it was hell. I feel like I have proper technique as I've been DE shaving for 6 years and don't really have problems when shaving on my normal schedule.

The whole purpose of shaving to me is to be BBS each and everyday.
So I don't think I can live without my daily four pass,five minute,BBS shave :)
On the contrary I get irritation if I skip even one day of shaving (itch,itch,itch!)

Here's my thought process....stay with me here....

Shaving every day is only a problem if there is irritation. Shave => get irritated bumps, burn, nicks, whatever => shave over the irritation = bad shaving day.

If there is no, or very little irritation, shaving every day should be no problem. So the deduction is that you're getting irritation of one stripe or another. If you can only shave once a week, that means you need a week for your skin to heal - and that's with your regular (good) shaves.

Getting to the root...why does your skin need to rest (heal) for a week between shaves?

Possibilities include:

Technique - includes too much pressure, angle, routine, etc
Hardware - blade and/or razor
Sofware - pre shave and shave cream/soap, AS or balm
Allergies to software

The outlyer is just having ultra sensitive skin that gets inflammed when you shave, no matter what.

I would ask yourself: "Self, why can I only shave once a week?"

Really dig for the answer...

Because I get razor burn on my neck
Because I always cut my chin
Because my skin is all red and rashy
Because there's a spot on my jaw that always gets cut
Because I break out if I do it more often
Whatever

What, specifically, is the problem when you shave (good) more than once a week?

Seems to me that the problem is not getting hacked up by a crappy blade :) but rather the fact that you can't shave more than once a week. One may be a symptom of the other.

Here's my thought process....stay with me here....

Shaving every day is only a problem if there is irritation. Shave => get irritated bumps, burn, nicks, whatever => shave over the irritation = bad shaving day.

If there is no, or very little irritation, shaving every day should be no problem. So the deduction is that you're getting irritation of one stripe or another. If you can only shave once a week, that means you need a week for your skin to heal - and that's with your regular (good) shaves.

Getting to the root...why does your skin need to rest (heal) for a week between shaves?

Possibilities include:

Technique - includes too much pressure, angle, routine, etc
Hardware - blade and/or razor
Sofware - pre shave and shave cream/soap, AS or balm
Allergies to software

The outlyer is just having ultra sensitive skin that gets inflammed when you shave, no matter what.

I would ask yourself: "Self, why can I only shave once a week?"

Really dig for the answer...

Because I get razor burn on my neck
Because I always cut my chin
Because my skin is all red and rashy
Because there's a spot on my jaw that always gets cut
Because I break out if I do it more often
Whatever

What, specifically, is the problem when you shave (good) more than once a week?

Seems to me that the problem is not getting hacked up by a crappy blade :) but rather the fact that you can't shave more than once a week. One may be a symptom of the other.

A wonderful, thought provoking post!

OP, A week to allow the skin to heal is an awfully long time. Is your face tender, red, have a rash etc. for days after every shave? Tell us what’s going on with the skin and what equipment you’re using and let’s see if we can figure it out together.

A wonderful, thought provoking post!

OP, A week to allow the skin to heal is an awfully long time. Is your face tender, red, have a rash etc. for days after every shave? Tell us what’s going on with the skin and what equipment you’re using and let’s see if we can figure it out together.
No redness or rash. Just a burning sensation on the area under my chin when I don't rest on the shaving.

Yeah if it is just one small area and it is not giving you anything but a burning sensation - no visible irritation - try going really easy on that one spot - WTG only and watching the blade angle carefully.

I'm betting the growth goes in weird directions there, and you're inadvertently hitting it direct ATG on first pass without even realizing it. That or maybe just going really deep because of a weird angle or something like that. Or both.

I shave almost daily(missing a day here or there) with minimal irritation. I, however am not like most, and just do a one pass shave.

Astra gives me irritation , so try Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver. Smooth and sharp.
Also have you tried other soaps? Proraso also gave me bumps. Nowadays I use Haslinger, coconut is fantastic or SV. Both give me fantastic irritation free shaves. I have light beard growth but shave every day without problems.

Top Bottom