What's new

New 10.5 inch 5.56

Got myself a new AR! Here’s what I’m thinking.

61AA60AA-28A8-46FA-AF6F-DAF06B439FC8.jpeg

Springfield Saint Edge

I’m not going to lie, I’ve never been a big AR guy, but this thing is a blast! Literally and figuratively! I love shooting the thing. It’s light, short, and overall just maneuverable. It really is a pleasure to shoot. But how practical is it?

Well, as a hunting gun, it’s not the most practical for anything over varmints and yotes I figure. I’m not a fan of 5.56 on deer in spite of seeing many a deer taken by one. A 10.5” 5.56 better be used at very short distance if used at all in my eyes if deer is being taken.

Given the right ammo though, Nosler Defense, it’s stupid accurate (It better be at $28.00 a box of 20), so you could use it I figure with good placement. But at the end of the day, it’s really only ever going to be my fun gun, or my zombie gun. A 200 yard max zombie gun I figure.

Why 200? Because at 200 yards it hits about as hard as a 9mm (~300ft/lbs), and the bullets will no longer expand at that point. Which means my 336Y lever in 30-30 is actually more effective and useful than this thing is for just about everything except the fun factor!

Being it’s effective range, I put a 1x prism scope on it. A Vortex. This works for me being I have an astigmatism making red dots ok when my glasses are on but challenging with them off. I sighted it in at 30 yards, so the round never rises over 3” or drops more than 3” within 200 yards. Ringing steel with it is fun. It’s very clear! Did I say it was fun?

Of course zombies roam at night so a flashlight attached works too.

The Springfield Saint Edge is compact, maneuverable and fun. It’s a good zombie gun I figure - though I’d swear my 30-30 lever is more effective (but also 3 times as expensive to shoot). It’s pretty sturdy, but my Colt seems better built by a mile. All said and done, I’m going to keep it, but it’s hard to recommend it at $1,500. It’s not THAT much smaller than a 16.

Got myself a new AR! Here’s what I’m thinking.

View attachment 1009212
Springfield Saint Edge

I’m not going to lie, I’ve never been a big AR guy, but this thing is a blast! Literally and figuratively! I love shooting the thing. It’s light, short, and overall just maneuverable. It really is a pleasure to shoot. But how practical is it?

Well, as a hunting gun, it’s not the most practical for anything over varmints and yotes I figure. I’m not a fan of 5.56 on deer in spite of seeing many a deer taken by one. A 10.5” 5.56 better be used at very short distance if used at all in my eyes if deer is being taken.

Given the right ammo though, Nosler Defense, it’s stupid accurate (It better be at $28.00 a box of 20), so you could use it I figure with good placement. But at the end of the day, it’s really only ever going to be my fun gun, or my zombie gun. A 200 yard max zombie gun I figure.

Why 200? Because at 200 yards it hits about as hard as a 9mm (~300ft/lbs), and the bullets will no longer expand at that point. Which means my 336Y lever in 30-30 is actually more effective and useful than this thing is for just about everything except the fun factor!

Being it’s effective range, I put a 1x prism scope on it. A Vortex. This works for me being I have an astigmatism making red dots ok when my glasses are on but challenging with them off. I sighted it in at 30 yards, so the round never rises over 3” or drops more than 3” within 200 yards. Ringing steel with it is fun. It’s very clear! Did I say it was fun?

Of course zombies roam at night so a flashlight attached works too.

The Springfield Saint Edge is compact, maneuverable and fun. It’s a good zombie gun I figure - though I’d swear my 30-30 lever is more effective (but also 3 times as expensive to shoot). It’s pretty sturdy, but my Colt seems better built by a mile. All said and done, I’m going to keep it, but it’s hard to recommend it at $1,500. It’s not THAT much smaller than a 16.
It's time to start reloading. Nice AR.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Nice! I’ve heard & read some good things about those SA SBRs ... apparently, legal to manufacture/assemble in IL, The Land of Leaving, but illegal to own :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nice! I’ve heard & read some good things about those SA SBRs ... apparently, legal to manufacture/assemble in IL, The Land of Leaving, but illegal to own :)
Hold out hope! My "Pure" Michigan was nearly as bad 20 years or so ago...

Unless I'm mistaken, this qualifies as a pistol. If so, no extra paperwork is needed, at least in MO.

If I ever build one of these it will be a Palmetto. They're quite a bit cheaper. I don't think the quality is quite as good but good enough for a fun/range gun.

Unless I'm mistaken, this qualifies as a pistol. If so, no extra paperwork is needed, at least in MO.

If I ever build one of these it will be a Palmetto. They're quite a bit cheaper. I don't think the quality is quite as good but good enough for a fun/range gun.
It is a pistol - Palmetto is quite a bit cheaper... i’ll never deal with Palmetto again. :)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Thanks for clarifying, poorboy ... suffice it to say that I’m in total darkness when it comes the ‘grey area’ of pistol braces. To shoulder or not to shoulder ... to shoulder occasionally is okay but more than occasionally, not so okay.

Top Bottom