What's new

Garage find

11905842-8AA7-4496-BDC5-81C7A64661F3.jpeg 48FB8EF8-4B22-4885-8EEA-049C4674731E.jpeg C6748FFC-9672-45E5-B24A-B4802AC66056.jpeg 11905842-8AA7-4496-BDC5-81C7A64661F3.jpeg 3121AD2C-7E82-4C7D-9923-387F5EF33F31.jpeg 31A2D46C-8A22-43CE-829E-FF5833079F51.jpeg I just started using a DE razor about a month ago. I picked up a EJ 89 and absolutely love it. Won’t be going back to cartridge razors ever again. So my stepdad texted me that he found a couple of my grandfathers old razors (Gillette 62 slim and Schick Krona) I’m really loving the Gillette but I’m thinking about electroplating the nickel finish. Just wanted some opinion on the finish of this old 62.

Attachments

• EB14D7F8-CDF9-4BF7-9745-5284B9930067.jpeg
    EB14D7F8-CDF9-4BF7-9745-5284B9930067.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That finish should be fine for daily use. I figure an old razor should look old, but I'm no collector, no matter what my wife says!

Awesome that you have them! Buy your dad a steak dinner instead of a razor replate, lol.

Dave, Arko Addict.

yeah I’m leaning towards leaving it alone. It’s only missing the plating on a few small parts, and after cleaning it up, this thing still adjusts and opens very smoothly.

FarmerTan

yeah I’m leaning towards leaving it alone. It’s only missing the plating on a few small parts, and after cleaning it up, this thing still adjusts and opens very smoothly.
That's great that it works fine. Awesome! I was born in '62, but I'm just waiting for a bit to buy one. I recently found a user grade E3 Fatboy in an antique store for $15, so that helped quench my covetousness!

Fatboy is awesome. I've only used it 3 or 4? times, set on 5, and it has really delivered.

That’s another thing I was wondering about. I’ve only used my Edwin jagger 89 so far, so I didn’t really know what setting to start out with. It’s still soaking in soap water right now, but I really want to try it out soon

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Don't discount the Schick Krona -- if you do a little searching around here, you'll find a bunch of us who are quite impressed with that razor. I mean it's not adjustable, but still.....:)

Oh absolutely. I like the krona too. I had just always heard more about the Gillette than the schick. But I will definitely be using both of them .

Enjoy your new find. The E2 Fat Boy or the 195 Adjustable razor as it was called then, was the first new razor I bought when I started shaving. 60 years later I still use that razor in my rotation.

That would be my choice.
Missing plating only exposes brass, not something that would rust out.
Embrace the wabi-sabi.

FarmerTan

Enjoy your new find. The E2 Fat Boy or the 195 Adjustable razor as it was called then, was the first new razor I bought when I started shaving. 60 years later I still use that razor in my rotation.
That is cool!

@Sire , I just chose a number in the middle (5) and tried it out. It worked, but I thought i would have to crank it down, because I like my old 1962 Gillette Tech, which is mild. I may shave on 9 next time just to see how aggressive it can get.

If the damaged plating doesn’t have a sharp edge with a failing bond, it looks ready for service.

Awesome that you have them! Buy your dad a steak dinner instead of a razor replate, lol.

Dave, Arko Addict.

I love that thought!

I have a pair of replated FatBoys. I had one done that was dear to me, such as you grandfathers may be to you. And purchased a pre-done one from my birth year. I can hand down the familial one and wife can do what she wants with the other.
As per setting. I typically use a 3, with an increase to 4/5 for back of head. I don’t know how different brand's settings compare though. I guess start low and work your way up would be suitable advice.

Congratulations! And your dad's a good man.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I’m just gonna leave the Gillette plating alone and just use it. Definitely gonna give the Schick a spin as well. The only plating missing is a few small specks on the handle, and a couple small spots on the comb that you can see on the pics. Never knew my grandfather to use any kind of wet shaver. He taught me to shave actually, but he use an electric razor with Williams lectric shave. I stopped using that method after I got tired of my face being red for an hour or two after shaving.

That’s another thing I was wondering about. I’ve only used my Edwin jagger 89 so far, so I didn’t really know what setting to start out with. It’s still soaking in soap water right now, but I really want to try it out soon

I have found that setting the Gillette adjustables (Slim and Super 84, in my case) on setting 5 provides a very comfortable, yet surprisingly close, shave. I started out my traditional shaving journey being drawn to the modern DE razors and purchased a few, but then decided to just get one “birth year razor” to try out the vintage world. Well, that Super 84 led to a NEW SC, which led to a Slim, which led to a Super Speed, which led to an Aristocratic 48-50. What I’ve been surprised to find is that those vintage Gillettes provide such a smooth and comfortable, yet close and efficient, shave that I find myself reaching for one of them more as least as often as I do one of my nice modern razors.

I also started with an EJDE89 and switched to a Slim. I must say I did not really care for the results below the 5 setting. I now use it consistently at 8 with Feather blades and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I got the exact same mail call this week. What a coincidence. Hope you enjoy the shaves with those vintages!

Slim + Krona 1.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You have two of my favourite razors there. Use them and enjoy them. I love using my heirloom razors.

What quarter is it, out of curiosity? That's my birth year, and I'm one of those guys who felt compelled to get a Slim in my birth quarter (as well as other Gillette offerings).

Great to hear someone has had luck at a G-sale. Me not at all. However. I'll trade you 6 ash trays, 2 sprinklers and a bent putter for that razor.

I use 5 on my Fatboy. Works for me. I wish I had a heirloom razor. My father used an electric and I can't remember what my grandfather used. It's nice to think I will have a few razors to pass on.

Top Bottom