What's new

Going Up From a Muhle R89...

Hiya Everybody!

I wanna try something more aggressive than my Muhle R89, something in the mid-range of aggressiveness.

Any suggestions? :)

...Syndicate

Hi,
I'd say Mùhle Rocca. It shaves very comfortably, and I know after 2 passes, I will get a close shave . No irritation and rarely a nick. A very light touch is all you need. Also it is really good for shaving moustache area.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My initial thought is, "go Single Edge (either GEM or Injector)", but then I check and this is sitting in the DE area, so then my gut yells, "GO SLANT"!!! Cost-wise I'd recommend the German 37 (or the PAA BOCS, but I haven't tried mine yet, so I'm not sure what it's like). I assume you're really looking for efficiency, and not tons of blade feel and/or a requirement for expert technique.

Wait. Time out. First things first.

My Muhle R89 was a good but a "ho-hum" razor, until I put 2 shims under the working blade. Now my Muhle R89 is an outstanding razor. I have about 80 razors, and none does a better job on my tough "old man whiskers" than my double-shimmed Muhle R89. None. It is a joy and a delight!

Try a Rockwell 6s...
Smooth, but very efficient on higher settings. Stainless Steel, build like a tank, and shaves even like this.

I stepped up from de89 to Rockwell and a few months later I sold the 89...

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Answers to two questions will help us target recommendations to your needs:
#1. Vintage or modern?
#2. Budget?

Wait. Time out. First things first.

My Muhle R89 was a good but a "ho-hum" razor, until I put 2 shims under the working blade. Now my Muhle R89 is an outstanding razor. I have about 80 razors, and none does a better job on my tough "old man whiskers" than my double-shimmed Muhle R89. None. It is a joy and a delight!
Yes Sir. You were a big help with that one. I do like the shims, But its tricky while trying to find the right blade for me. But will keep at it!

+1

Well if you are going to do it then go for a big difference... possibly an R41 or a Fatip Grande. By the way have you been experimenting with brushes :) ?
Looking on getting a decent Badger or even a synthetic, sir!

R41 Might be a bit too big a jump perhaps? Don't want to be requesting quotes for a skin graft anytime soon! lol

I started DE shaving with a 34CHD about 10 years. The shaves weren't good so I bought an R89. Shaves still not good - using Dorco blades. Had tried Derby and Merkur blades with no luck. Put the R89 away for several years; and moved onto high-end razors. Now fast forward to this week and I broke out the R89, installed a feather and am getting nice BBS shaves. What changed? My technique has improved considerably, knowing how to lather properly, and using a very sharp blade.

I started DE shaving with a 34CHD about 10 years. The shaves weren't good so I bought an R89. Shaves still not good - using Dorco blades. Had tried Derby and Merkur blades with no luck. Put the R89 away for several years; and moved onto high-end razors. Now fast forward to this week and I broke out the R89, installed a feather and am getting nice BBS shaves. What changed? My technique has improved considerably, knowing how to lather properly, and using a very sharp blade.

Good man! Revisiting hardware/software after a bit can be enlightening.

Optimal for me is also to combine of a mild/moderate razor with a sharp blade! :a29:

+1 on the Rockwell 6S but then again recommending a 100$ razor to a newbie seems stupid. Maybe a Parker razor? They are cheap and even the closed combs are plenty aggressive. The master Mantic59 suggests buying an adjustable as a second razor.

If you don't mind the short and thin handle, the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition can keep you busy for a while. It weighs a bit more than the R89 but it is still managable, it offers both the closed and the open comb version (both more efficient than the R89) at a low price and it is a rigid design that makes it smooth.

If you don't mind the short and thin handle, the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition can keep you busy for a while. It weighs a bit more than the R89 but it is still managable, it offers both the closed and the open comb version (both more efficient than the R89) at a low price and it is a rigid design that makes it smooth.
Thanks for this one! Will look into it

Top Bottom