What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .84 - Very Impressed

If you read my earlier posts I hated the GC84, it was way to aggressive but with the right blade I tamed it.

My advice would be to get a 68 first and once you feel you need something more effecient get the 84 plates.

Cheers,

Mawashi
That's probably the case for me. Hmmm.

Although I do have plenty of mild razors.. decision, decisions.

That's probably the case for me. Hmmm.

Although I do have plenty of mild razors.. decision, decisions.

There's one solution.
What's the most mild, comfy blade you have?

It'll tame the GC84 like my BIC. In fact a GSB in it is great too.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi

There's one solution.
What's the most mild, comfy blade you have?

It'll tame the GC84 like my BIC. In fact a GSB in it is great too.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi
The mildest, comfortable blade is probably Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades for me.

I'm still leaning towards the .68 but l'm going to restrain until I really want the variety. So far, I'm happy with the razors that I have.

The mildest, comfortable blade is probably Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades for me.

I'm still leaning towards the .68 but l'm going to restrain until I really want the variety. So far, I'm happy with the razors that I have.

Best reply lol!

If you read my earlier posts I hated the GC84, it was way to aggressive but with the right blade I tamed it.

My advice would be to get a 68 first and once you feel you need something more effecient get the 84 plates.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Interesting. I definitely don’t find the .84 aggressive at all. I find it very efficient and smooth. The gap really shouldn’t play a factor in scaring folks here as the blade curvature, razor geometry and blade exposure also help to play a significant part in creating what I consider a rather smooth razor.

I actually found the .68 Timeless to be “more aggressive” if you will, than the Karve C plate or GC .84. It’s all about face feel for me at the end of the day, with all the factors combined.

Interesting. I definitely don’t find the .84 aggressive at all. I find it very efficient and smooth. The gap really shouldn’t play a factor in scaring folks here as the blade curvature, razor geometry and blade exposure also help to play a significant part in creating what I consider a rather smooth razor.

I actually found the .68 Timeless to be “more aggressive” if you will, than the Karve C plate or GC .84. It’s all about face feel for me at the end of the day, with all the factors combined.

Fenwayfan77,

You have to understand that the GC84 was one of my very first razors.
The only razor I had was an English Tech and I had only been DE shaving since Nov when, I received a whole bunch of razors in Jan.

Being new, the GC84 was too much for me but sometime in April or May, a BIC changed all that and its now my daily driver.
I tried even a Nacet in it a month ago and felt pretty good but a BIC Nacet is a wonderful combo.

I've used a Piccolo Mk1 / Nacet recently and its a more aggressive razor than a GC84 but its also more effecient.

At this moment I can pretty much use any razor and get a BBS if I can use a blade I'm comfy with.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I'm eyeing on the Game Changer razor but I also enjoy milder razors more than aggressive ones. I'm thinking of the .68 version as that one should be milder to work with. Does anyone find the .84 GC too aggressive or is it just right?
I find the .84 has a little too much blade for daily shaving (I have a relatively light and thin beard), though I can use it that way with no major trouble. The .68 is like a machined, stainless steel version of the Gillette Tech. The Tech and .68 shaves are very similar, mild but good.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It’s all relative. For me, the Blackbird is aggressive and awesome, with plenty of blade feel. The GC .84 and the Timeless .95 OC are mild by comparison.

I agree 100%. The GC84 is incredibly smooth. I don’t find it to be aggressive at all.

The Game Changer 0.84 is very close and almost the same aggression as the Karve SB 'C' base plate which is 0.85, just a 0.01mm off.

It’s all relative. For me, the Blackbird is aggressive and awesome, with plenty of blade feel. The GC .84 and the Timeless .95 OC are mild by comparison.

Totally agree. My GC and Timeless have very similar shaving feels while the Blackbird OC is more agressive and requires less blade buffing. I've noticed that with my GC .84 I have to buff the heck out of some spots, so for me it's milder than I expected.

Hannah's Dad

Totally agree. My GC and Timeless have very similar shaving feels while the Blackbird OC is more agressive and requires less blade buffing. I've noticed that with my GC .84 I have to buff the heck out of some spots, so for me it's milder than I expected.
Great point — I, too, have to buff under my chin quite a bit. It’s still a joy to use, though!

I agree 100%. The GC84 is incredibly smooth. I don’t find it to be aggressive at all.
Well, thinking in terms of "blade feel", a term that makes more sense to me than "aggressive", on a scale of 1 to 10 in increasing blade feel, in my inexpert opinion, I'd put the .84 at 6 and the .68 at 3, more or less.

I got all three! Jaws, the O/C and the S/B Gamechangers in 84. I have gotten close and comfortable shaves from all of them - just tried out the S/B for the first time today with a Nacet blade - got a nice smooth shave - I am mainly an O/C guy - I like the feel of the comb on my skin when I shave - it helps me gauge blade placement and angle. It's been quite a while since I used a S/B O/C shaver. I sort of forgot how to move it around, but the memory came back pretty quick. I have been using Voskhod and Derby Premium in the two O/C's - getting an even better shave than with my former #1 favorite - an early generation O/C Ikon open comb. I am surprised how many used G/C's I have seen up for sale on BST. But as they say around here...YMMV.

Absolutely! I find the GC84 a happy medium now. What impresses me is how smooth and nimble it is. The narrow height of the plate n cap means I can get into hard to get areas easier than with bulkier razors.

The Game Changer 0.84 is very close and almost the same aggression as the Karve SB 'C' base plate which is 0.85, just a 0.01mm off.

I have both the C plates and I find the GC smoother maybe cos of the blade angle but yes, they are about the same in aggressiveness.

My problem area is my left stast area. The hairs grow in weird directions and its hard to find an ATG sweep to get all of them in 2 passes. Only a straight seems to get all of em in 2 passes.

I got all three! Jaws, the O/C and the S/B Gamechangers in 84. I have gotten close and comfortable shaves from all of them - just tried out the S/B for the first time today with a Nacet blade - got a nice smooth shave - I am mainly an O/C guy - I like the feel of the comb on my skin when I shave - it helps me gauge blade placement and angle. It's been quite a while since I used a S/B O/C shaver. I sort of forgot how to move it around, but the memory came back pretty quick. I have been using Voskhod and Derby Premium in the two O/C's - getting an even better shave than with my former #1 favorite - an early generation O/C Ikon open comb. I am surprised how many used G/C's I have seen up for sale on BST. But as they say around here...YMMV.

I too was on the verge of selling all my GCs as I really hated using them earlier. I guess we are all sensitive to certain angles, blade exposure etc, its all YMMV lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I've been following this thread, very intrigued by the GC .84 but also a little wary about the aggressiveness. Here's a question that may help, what number on a Gillette Slim Adjustable would you say is comparable?

Hannah's Dad

I've been following this thread, very intrigued by the GC .84 but also a little wary about the aggressiveness. Here's a question that may help, what number on a Gillette Slim Adjustable would you say is comparable?
Probably 7/8. But gap alone isn’t the full story.

Hannah's Dad

This requires a good deal of subjectivity; I would say for efficiency, it’s as good as a Slim on 9, and as comfortable as a Slim on 4.

Top Bottom