What's new

Do you get a closer shave with a boar brush?

I've just started using boar brushes and I've been reading a lot of threads about them. I've noticed a few posts saying you can get a closer shave with a boar brush because it lifts the hair more, or conditions the hair+skin better. Not sure exactly what, and this may be just anecdotal. For my part, I'm getting very close shaves with my boar brushes, but I'm not jumping to conclusions.

Can anyone shed any light on this idea?

Ok, here's my theory versus reality...

The entire concept of the brush lifting or softening the hair is silly because even the softest synthetic gives me excellent results.

However, in reality...even though boar brushes are my least preferred type of brush (only 7 out of my 70 brushes are boar), I always get my best shave using a boar brush.

Why? Who knows! I sure can't figure it out. But the shave is always closer, smoother and my skin looks nicer (due to the closer shave).

I'll leave the theory/reason as a mystery.

Cool! I'll check it out!
I moved to India 3 years ago, from Australia.

I really miss the huge beef steaks, ham, bacon, pork and all the favorites of delicious sausages!!

Here I get chicken, chicken and more chicken!

I was shocked to learn India is worlds biggest exporter of beef. World gone bonkers.

I was shocked to learn India is worlds biggest exporter of beef. World gone bonkers.

Well, what they serve as beef in India is actually buffalo.
Because if it was cow being served up, the shop would be set alight fairly quickly!

I sure hope this is not the "beef" being exported!

Well, what they serve as beef in India is actually buffalo.
Because if it was cow being served up, the shop would be set alight fairly quickly!

I sure hope this is not the "beef" being exported!

"The largest beef-consuming countries in absolute numbers are the United States, followed by Brazil, and China. In terms of exportation, the world's largest beef exporting countries are Brazil, India, Australia, United States, and New Zealand." Dec 10, 2018 - World Atlas

"The largest beef-consuming countries in absolute numbers are the United States, followed by Brazil, and China. In terms of exportation, the world's largest beef exporting countries are Brazil, India, Australia, United States, and New Zealand." Dec 10, 2018 - World Atlas

Unbelievable!!
The mismatch between reality and media is astonishing!
We are led to believe that it's basically banned in India. Clearly not!

I'll have to dig deeper to find where I can also buy it :D

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'm surprised nobody has said "I shave with a razor, not a boar"
I thought so, too....I doubt that the kind of brush has anything to do with closeness of shave, my guess soap, cream and blade and kind of razor would be much more of importance than the brush.

While I prefer boars, I don't notice a better shave while using one. I do think they exfoliate more given the same amount of brushing.

I notice a fairly large difference in shave quality depending on the brush I use. I get my worst shaves with a boar brush, actually. For me, the lather quality just isn't nearly as good, even though it looks OK. I can also tell the difference in my shave when I use a badger and synthetics. My first synthetic was an older Omega S-brush, and I clearly get a better shave with my Rooney super badgers. I still do, even though the S-brush produces a better looking lather. However, newer synthetics deliver me a better shave than my Rooneys. At first I figured I just hadn't optimized the lather for each brush type. But no, I've experimented with this stuff for years and I've concluded that brushes do indeed affect shave quality. They affect how close my shave is, especially in my trouble areas. They affect how my razor glides across my skin. They also affect how much irritation I have after the shave is done.

Are you face lathering? Or changed the application style, if bowl lathering?

Which boar? I have 4-5 very different boar brushes and i find i have to spend the most time trying to develop a good lather with my SOC.

Have you changed anything else?

I don't see any significant differences between shaving with boar, synthetic, badger, or horse hair. The amount of irritation differs because some can give brush burn but overall, the brushes differ in feel/lathering capabilities rather than a closer shave.

Top Bottom