What's new

Brush soaking?

Hey guys, my first brush was a cheap synthetic, but earlier this year i was very generously sent an omega 49 and Wilkinson sword classic shave in a PIF from a friend in the UK, and while the omega is definitely a better quality brush, both are fantastic boar brushes. I usually soak my brushes in relatively warm water for +-10 minutes before shaving. Will soaking a brush in warm or hot water cause damage in the long term? Thanks!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Soaking in very hot water should be avoided. A soak for a boar brush is helpful for a minimum of 3 minutes; longer will not be a problem.

Warm water works fine don't get it too warm/hot. Also avoid the handle being in the water.
+1.

If the bristles are soaked too close to the handle, they can swell and crack the handle.

If you want a little more scrub out of a boar brush, you can experiment with soak times under 3 minutes.

I soak my brushes in cold water to avoid any damages to the glue that holds the knot to the handle. Also, for some boar brushes, I find it better to just wet the brush right before the shave rather than soaking them for a long time. Experiment and find the best solution for yourself.

Hey guys, my first brush was a cheap synthetic, but earlier this year i was very generously sent an omega 49 and Wilkinson sword classic shave in a PIF from a friend in the UK, and while the omega is definitely a better quality brush, both are fantastic boar brushes. I usually soak my brushes in relatively warm water for +-10 minutes before shaving. Will soaking a brush in warm or hot water cause damage in the long term? Thanks!

Doubtful unless you soak it all the way to the knot in very hot water.

Generally I soak my brushes about 3/4 of the knot height.

What usually damages brushes is harden soap scum from not properly being rinsed clean.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I only use cheap brushes but I dunk my brushes in the warm sink water with the razor. The whole brush is lying in the water. I from memory have never lost a knot. I may not do this with an expensive brush but I doubt that I will ever own one.

I only use cheap brushes but I dunk my brushes in the warm sink water with the razor. The whole brush is lying in the water. I from memory have never lost a knot. I may not do this with an expensive brush but I doubt that I will ever own one.
I do the same, i wouldnt ever buy s brush mote expensive than an omega 49, and even if i did it would only be slightly more expensive.

My experience with cheap boar bushes and water :Ed Hardy

First use killed it.

I hold my brush upside on a 45 degrees until hot water get runs hot. Squeeze and use. Pro 48.

Weekly I wash with hand soap to remove tallow residue.

I am thinking tallow will coat boar fibres that limits water absorption and needs to be washed off.

This wasnt required when i only used a non tallow soap (proraso).

Soaking is definitely helpful for boar brushes. However, IME there is no need to soak a badger or synthetic.

Top Bottom