What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

DF202150-9DE7-4890-8010-1EADF9269B3E.jpeg

Beautiful and authentic. You are doing it right. I thought Super Bock was good beer. Underrated.

Looks like you have done some homework on this. I have some questions. Looks like your sardines were not gutted, which would be authentic Portugese-style. I thought the Portugese sardines where wonderful, but I thought the not gutting part made them harder to eat and likely bitter in places. I do not think it would be hard to have gutted them.And I sure as heck did not eat the guts, or for that matter the bones, although I did not mind the bones being left in. Easy enough to lift the flesh away from the bones. Was I even doing this correctly? Do the Portugese eat the guts? The bones? What is the Portugese thinking on not gutting them?
I’m not sure how the locals eat it, but we just lifted the flesh off the spine and ribs, almost in one piece. I don’t think the bones or innards are meant to be eaten. The sardines were not gutted. They were taken out of wooden crates, where they were packed in salt, and placed on the grill. As unprocessed as it gets!

My family now tells me the sardines were gutted. We need to go back for verification!

Today’s brunch beverage? Aperol Spritz. Excuse the lemon in place of the orange. We like an olive, too. Some were made with Cava and some with Prosecco. I prefer Cava.

2FC82ED0-8262-4422-888A-3A4B65D98F85.jpeg

I cannot confirm or deny that none of the grilled sardines we had in Portugal were gutted, but I would say the majority were not. From the photo you posted earlier, it looks to me like the sardine that has the easiest to see belly has not been gutted.
They were taken out of wooden crates, where they were packed in salt

Wow, I did not see that they were pulled out of crates of salt! These were fresh sardines, right? The Portugese sure like themselves some salted cod, but that is a different thing.

I found an on-line source that did not inform me much on the gutting, but said that it is traditional to each fresh grilled sardines in Portugal by picking them up by the attached head and tails and scarping the skin and flesh off the bones with one's teeth. That makes a lot of sense to me. Very tasty stuff!

On a slightly different topic, any idea what US fish to substitute for dogfish in the famous Portuguese dogfish soup or stew? We took a cooking class for this dish in Portugal. I thought they told us it was a fresh water fish from, say, the Douro River. But there also seemed to be reference to it being a shark. On-line sources seem to indicate it is a salt water fish and a type of shark, which makes more sense to me, although the Douro seemed very clean. Also, tasty stuff, but I am guessing the tastiness has a lot to do with the preparation of the broth and not so much the type of fish being used. I have never heard of cilantro being used the way they used it.

Yeah, I think the sardines were not gutted. And you can see the salt on the sardines. I’m not sure about the dogfish soup. That’s new to me! Did you have any tripe stew? Tripa a moda do Porto?
CB08C016-B5A4-437A-B83A-7A61FD0A9817.jpeg
Hearty!

Perhaps Dogfish soup, often seen as "stew" is a specifically Porto thing like the tripa. There is a fair amount on the net about the dogfish soup.

I definitely had the Tripa a moda do Porta. I even tried to find it in Lisbon, where we started, but had to wait until Porto. I had it a couple of times including at Abadia in Porto, which is well-known for it. I love tripe and I thought it was great, although a different take on tripe than, say, the Romans have. Tripa a moda do Porto has lots and lots of stuff in it besides tripe. Lots of meats/sausages/pork belly. Truly hearty. A wonderful dish. I could not come close to finishing the massive serving they gave me at Abadia. In my experience, in Rome and Italy in general a serving of tripe is more just tripe in a tomatoey sauce, without so many other meats. Good to me no matter how you do it.

An Old Fashioned. The wife wanted to blind test Buffalo Trace vs. Weller's SR before making hers. Not surprisingly, she took the smoother Weller's. I made mine with BT. She wanted an hibiscus. I opted for a Luxardo cherry. Cheers as we wait for the storm....

An Old Fashioned. The wife wanted to blind test Buffalo Trace vs. Weller's SR before making hers. Not surprisingly, she took the smoother Weller's. I made mine with BT. She wanted an hibiscus. I opted for a Luxardo cherry. Cheers as we wait for the storm....
Stay safe!

Top Bottom