What's new

How to repair offset bone scale

I bought this slightly used Wacker 7/8 in bone, and received a discount because the blade was offset. Photo below will show it.

Ideas on how to fix this problem appreciated.

Note that the spacer is glued in place, unfortunately. That means I am reluctant to pry it out,
as that could fracture the whole bone scale. Yeah, the pinning makes you think it's not glued, as why even use a pin? But it is glued.

All I can think of is taking a dremel and carefully cutting out the whole spacer, then pin in a fat one, to create a wide enough gap to miss the edge?

Maybe I go back to the pivot and somehow change the geometry back there?

This will be my first scale project, so I'm a beginner here. But it's a very good razor, so I'm determined to fix it. If it's a special tool issue, I'm willing to mail it to a pro.

thanks in advance.

Wacker offset.jpg

Those are horn, not bone

You can unpin and slightly widen the pivot holes-the show scale widen towards the rear, the back side scale towards the front. When you pin you should be able to get enough movement in the blade to center it. You can also add 1 additional internal washers and move the blade that way

Maybe I go back to the pivot and somehow change the geometry back there?
The pivot is the only place to address this properly IMO.

Unpin the razor and determine whether the problem is in the razor tang, or the scales. Pinch a pair of popsicle sticks or other on the tang at the pivot and see if the blade centers in them. If the problem is in the scales file or sand behind the pivot on the non show side and in front of the pivot on the show side. If the problem is in the tang, I remove steel in the same areas, but this is a bit extreme and will be hard to do without messing up the makers marks. I have heard of people gluing brass spacer washers to the tang and making the correction on the washers.

Another possibility is that the tang is bent. Depending on the severity of the bend the above corrections can work. In more extreme cases straightening the tang involves heat and experience to avoid ruining the temper in the blade.

Those are horn, not bone

You can unpin and slightly widen the pivot holes-the show scale widen towards the rear, the back side scale towards the front. When you pin you should be able to get enough movement in the blade to center it. You can also add 1 additional internal washers and move the blade that way

Just so I understand it. The pin is angled in the now widened holes, until I am satisfied that the blade is centered, then it's the hammering down of the pin that "locks" everything into this new position?

And I'm definitely going to practice on some gold dollars first.

Looks like I can buy pins etc from whipped dog.

Oh, wait, just checked whipped dog and the gear isn't there any more.

Tips for places to buy the pins and washers I need?

Just so I understand it. The pin is angled in the now widened holes, until I am satisfied that the blade is centered, then it's the hammering down of the pin that "locks" everything into this new position?
Correct, we are talking about 0.5mm each way here, the small washers should still completely cover the holes.

Top Bottom