What's new

Calling all Rex users past and present.

My RAD is kicking in and I thought to look into the Rex razor as it’s a sharp looking adjustable. Do you guys who own it , use it as their daily driver ? If you sold it, why? Looking for honest feedback.

My logic is I like very mild razors (tech, Feather as-D2) , but have tough spots like my chin where I need something to dig deeper.

I’ve had 2 ( first one had issues, so Matt replaced it) Love the look and feel of the razor and it has great knurling but to get the efficiency I wanted I needed to shave in the 5-6 range and I found it really losses it’s smooth feel once you dialed past 3-3 1/2 so I sold it.

I have had mine for about 3 months. I have used it about 10 times.

It is a heavy and stout razor. I get good shaves with it, and I start on setting 4 and move down on subsequent passes. It is an interesting piece that is fundamentally a Gibbs clone. It feels like a quality item. Is it worth $250? That is hard to say. I find myself using my GC .84 and PAA DOC SS Accession most often.

Could I live without it? Yes, but it is a nice thing to have if the price doesn’t turn you off.

I'm on the list to try one yet so can't really comment and if you are in US I would recommend you to join in and try before buying and since it will take several months I would really recommend you to get Fatboy or Slim while waiting for your turn

I'm on the list to try one yet so can't really comment and if you are in US I would recommend you to join in and try before buying and since it will take several months I would really recommend you to get Fatboy or Slim while waiting for your turn
I understand that list is dead and gone. Razor is “lost “ apparently.

I have a Rex and love it. I have kept only 3 DE razors and the Rex is one of them.

Contrary to one of the posters above, I find it to be extremely efficient. I usually shave around 1-2 settings and could easily get away with a single pass daily shave.

I have a Rex Ambassador too and I love it.
It replaced my Rockwell 6s as daily driver. Its smooth and close but not as fool proof as the Rockwell. It requires a little bit more attention when learning to use it.
Compared to the Rockwell there's more blade feel.
In the beginning I would recommend to start at a small number.
Ma sweet spot is around 1,5 with Astra SP blades.
After three months exclusively using the Rex I began to rotate between these two razors.

Go for the Rex, you will never regret.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I shave everyday and it is my most used razor since I bought it back in April. Actually, I am currently away from home and it is the only razor I brought with me. I normally use it from 4 to 3 (decreasing by half an increment per pass) for a long-lasting shave (12-14 hrs). I also use it at 2.5 whenever I feel like decreasing the blade feel.

The blade exposure increases rapidly the higher the setting number. Since you are used to minimal blade feel, you might prefer it at 1-2. Even at these settings, the razor is efficient and can provide a close, long-lasting shave.

It took me some time getting used to it and given the cost, I would suggest waiting for your turn in the pass around. I have no regrets buying mine, but I find the Merkur Progress to be an equally capable shaver at a fraction of the cost.

I’m 6 shaves in on mine.

Pros:
Beautiful
High quality
Adjusting is solid, useful, and easy
Consistently good shaves

Cons:
Expensive
Doesn’t do well with subpar blades
Still Not shaving perfectly like my blackbird. Could be user error though.

Conclusion:
I’m still planning on keeping it. I’m still going to use it. It’s still not my #1 razor.

Bought mine back in October last year. It is my main razor, paired with Nacet blades. I use it on setting two and have had no problems. I get a DFS in two passes. It is a very forgiving razor at setting 2 and rarely do I get a nick due to poor technique.

Did it cure my RAD though?

No! I have since acquired an open comb (Parker 68S) and just ordered my first vintage razor off eBay, a US Gillette Tech. However I do see the Rex remaining my daily driver, for now…

I recently sold my Rex after only owning it for a short time. I really, really wanted to the like it, as it is such a cool, beautifully built razor. Unfortunately, I just could not get a comfortable shave with it, even on the lower numbers. Too much blade feel for my taste, I think. So, I moved it on and replaced it with a Timeless SS .95SB. Wow! I’ve only had a couple shaves with it, but right out of the gates, I find the Timeless to be a smooth shaving razor, and very efficient. Despite my best efforts, the Rex was just not a good fit for me.

I've had mine for a few months and it is my favorite razor. I use it three to four times a week and I am considering forsaking all others. I am currently using it on 2.5 with a Polsilver blade. If I could only have one razor, the Rex would be it. But I only have a Tech, Super Speed, Fatboy and a Slim for comparison as far as DE razors go. I hear Rex has a new non-adjustable coming out that will be more affordable, if price is a barrier for you.

I recently sold my Rex after only owning it for a short time. I really, really wanted to the like it, as it is such a cool, beautifully built razor. Unfortunately, I just could not get a comfortable shave with it, even on the lower numbers. Too much blade feel for my taste, I think. So, I moved it on and replaced it with a Timeless SS .95SB. Wow! I’ve only had a couple shaves with it, but right out of the gates, I find the Timeless to be a smooth shaving razor, and very efficient. Despite my best efforts, the Rex was just not a good fit for me.
There is more blade feel with the Rex, for sure. When I switched from Rockwell to Rex I felt this, as the Rockwell is extremely smooth.
You have to learn the Rex. In the meanwhile my shaves are as smooth as with my Rockwell.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Interesting threat. I too am interested in the Rex and prefer mild razors. On the aggressiveness range, ideal for me is Gillette Tech to ever so slightly more aggressive. Sounds like the Rez can be tamed down to that range?

Interesting threat. I too am interested in the Rex and prefer mild razors. On the aggressiveness range, ideal for me is Gillette Tech to ever so slightly more aggressive. Sounds like the Rez can be tamed down to that range?

Some say it can, but not for me. I use several mid-aggressive razors regularly with no issues....GC84, Timeless .95, Karve D.....and I just couldn’t get a comfortable shave with my Rex. As I said, I REALLY wanted to like it, but just couldn’t make it work for me.

By the way, there was a similar thread about the Rex created last week:

Rex Ambassador: Does anybody NOT love it?

Last edited:
It sounds like given there is blade feel, I may not enjoy this razor.
I was on "The List" (early on) and really enjoyed trying The Rex. It's a high quality, well built razor. The only reason that I don't own one is that it's a bit out of my price range. If I had the money, there would be one in my den.

Since it's an adjustable, you can mitigate blade feel. I found that I needed to "step down" for the ATG pass. I didn't fully dial things in (was close), but the Rex has a nearly unlimited adjustability to it.

Top Bottom