What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That young woman's life just took a nose dive. Lucky she didn't kill anybody.

She was out on bail the next morning. The JP, Justice of the Peace, is on duty at 6am and you can appear before him for bail. I doubt she'll get any jail time unless its not her first offense, but her days of driving are over for many years. She'll be uninsurable.

Yowser Mike! Glad you're safe, buddy

Thanks Al!

I'm indestructible. At least thats what the voices used to say. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
ladies-and-gentlemen-can-iplease-have-your-attention-memegenerator-net-ladies-53005585.png

I just stated in a PM, so theres no backing out now haha, that tomorrow I will shave with a soap that no one I'm aware of has ever used, nor may ever use.

660830.jpg

This will also be with a fresh PTFE blade in my GEM Bullet Tip. Or maybe my MMOC? Hmmm, decision decisions...

If in doubt;

I'm indestructible. At least thats what the voices used to say.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1016052

I just stated in a PM, so theres no backing out now haha, that tomorrow I will shave with a soap that no one I'm aware of has ever used, nor may ever use.

View attachment 1016053

This will also be with a fresh PTFE blade in my GEM Bullet Tip. Or maybe my MMOC? Hmmm, decision decisions...

If in doubt;
Ohhhh, I'm waiting with baited breath! Are you shaving with Lava soap? That can't end well. I'm voting for epic fail. I do hear Lava soap pairs well with Graham Field.
a2431244-c13b-4e50-9d51-f143eea120c0_1.383b70bd2f71b0970d41c968bc131453.jpg

This one has moisturizers and contains WD-40 for added glide.

To be fair, Dovo shaved with just water once. No soap at all. He might have used a fatip for that shave too, it's been awhile so I can't fully recall. Now a fatip isn't a MMOC with the ptfe blade, but I still predict mild to moderate success. I don't predict an epic failure, but it may take multiple applications of the chosen soap to get through the shave. I'd almost use it like a shave gel. I'm interested to see the results!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
OKEYDOKEYy.jpg

I already had a fresh blade loaded in the Bullet Tip so thats what I used. I could have just as easily used the MMOC, possibly even easier.

Bullet Tip/PTFE 1
Brush: None.
Soap....
IMG_3130.JPG

I wet my face thoroughly with warm water, my usual preshave prep. Then I squeezed out about a quarter size blob on my fingers and slowly wiped it over my face and neck mixing it with the water but not creating any froth. Anyone thats used this soap knows how slippery it is in your hands. Mixed with a little bit of water its even slipperier.

First pass N>S, easy peasy. No fuss, long incredibly smooth strokes from the top of my cheek to the base of my neck. Blade feel was obvious. I noticed by the time I got to the left side of my face I was using the razor as steeply as I do with the MMOC on shave 8. Very steep, to get the most blade feel I can have and using more pressure too. I finished that pass and smirked.

I felt around before starting my second pass and found I had a nice and very comfortable first pass. My skin was mostly dry, the blade didnt leave much behind. I knew the soap wasnt gone so I wet my hand and rubbed my face again lightly until the slickness woke up and stopped again just as foam was starting to be created.

Second pass S>N. More of the same insane slickness. Zero cushion. Imagine slippery water. I shaved all areas S>N then started buffing around my chin and sides of my mouth. It was so slick and so easy it defies description.

Finished that pass, I felt around again not sure if there would be enough soap to wake back up, there wasnt. I doled out a dime size dollop and wiped it over my face the same as before then started ATG from my jawline down. No issues whatsoever, not even over my swirls.

I finished with a nice BBS over all areas except along my left side jawline and right under my chin. Its borderline BBS but not quite. The blade feel is so pronounced I must have dropped the angle where I can feel it the most.

I had to wet a hand towel and wipe my face twice to get the residual soap off. I had light redness left side swirl but no irritation at all anywhere else.

Post shave feel is not the best but thats understandable. Now 20 minutes later, its not so bad at all. My skin is cool, comfortable, supple and just feels clean.

I could very easily use this soap again. I think using a soap thats so thin, offers no cushion at all yet is so slick its actually very protective, is an excellent teacher of technique. I'm pretty confident with my GEM razors and usually shave with abandon. After the first 1/2 a stroke, I was shaving with even less worry.

I do hear Lava soap pairs well with Graham Field.

The grit in Lava soap may actually help a Graham Field. It might act like ball bearings against the edge and make them smoother lol.

This one has moisturizers and contains WD-40 for added glide.

WD40 hmmm. That might be too thin and viscous. Straight 30W gear oil might be perfect. :tongue_sm

Riddick.Head.Shave.gif

To be fair, Dovo shaved with just water once. No soap at all. He might have used a fatip for that shave too, it's been awhile so I can't fully recall. Now a fatip isn't a MMOC with the ptfe blade, but I still predict mild to moderate success. I don't predict an epic failure, but it may take multiple applications of the chosen soap to get through the shave. I'd almost use it like a shave gel. I'm interested to see the results!

I remember @Dovo1695 using only water and I knew then it wouldnt be slick enough for me. A little bit of Dawn though is incredibly slick. The only real technical aspect of this shave was blade angle. I was using more pressure than I normally would without issue but because theres so much blade feel and literally no cushion at all the angle I normally use I cant even feel. Because of that I was shaving much steeper than I normally would.

View attachment 1016323

I already had a fresh blade loaded in the Bullet Tip so thats what I used. I could have just as easily used the MMOC, possibly even easier.

Bullet Tip/PTFE 1
Soap....
View attachment 1016318

I wet my face thoroughly with warm water, my usual preshave prep. Then I squeezed out about a quarter size blob on my fingers and slowly wiped it over my face and neck mixing it with the water but not creating any froth. Anyone thats used this soap knows how slippery it is in your hands. Mixed with a little bit of water its even slipperier.

First pass N>S, easy peasy. No fuss, long incredibly smooth strokes from the top of my cheek to the base of my neck. Blade feel was obvious. I noticed by the time I got to the left side of my face I was using the razor as steeply as I do with the MMOC on shave 8. Very steep, to get the most blade feel I can have and using more pressure too. I finished that pass and smirked.

I felt around before starting my second pass and found I had a nice and very comfortable first pass. My skin was mostly dry, the blade didnt leave much behind. I knew the soap wasnt gone so I wet my hand and rubbed my face again lightly until the slickness woke up and stopped again just as foam was starting to be created.

Second pass S>N. More of the same insane slickness. Zero cushion. Imagine slippery water. I shaved all areas S>N then started buffing around my chin and sides of my mouth. It was so slick and so easy it defies description.

Finished that pass, I felt around again not sure if there would be enough soap to wake back up, there wasnt. I doled out a dime size dollop and wiped it over my face the same as before then started ATG from my jawline down. No issues whatsoever, not even over my swirls.

I finished with a nice BBS over all areas except along my left side jawline and right under my chin. Its borderline BBS but not quite. The blade feel is so pronounced I must have dropped the angle where I can feel it the most.

I had to wet a hand towel and wipe my face twice to get the residual soap off. I had light redness left side swirl but no irritation at all anywhere else.

Post shave feel is not the best but thats understandable. Now 20 minutes later, its not so bad at all. My skin is cool, comfortable, supple and just feels clean.

I could very easily use this soap again. I think using a soap thats so thin, offers no cushion at all yet is so slick its actually very protective, is an excellent teacher of technique. I'm pretty confident with my GEM razors and usually shave with abandon. After the first 1/2 a stroke, I was shaving with even less worry.

The grit in Lava soap may actually help a Graham Field. It might act like ball bearings against the edge and make them smoother lol.

WD40 hmmm. That might be too thin and viscous. Straight 30W gear oil might be perfect. :tongue_sm

View attachment 1016324

I remember @Dovo1695 using only water and I knew then it wouldnt be slick enough for me. A little bit of Dawn though is incredibly slick. The only real technical aspect of this shave was blade angle. I was using more pressure than I normally would without issue but because theres so much blade feel and literally no cushion at all the angle I normally use I cant even feel. Because of that I was shaving much steeper than I normally would.
Very BOSC sir. Thanks for walking us through that shave. Sounds like a decent shave when all was said and done! And to think, $5 for a bottle and it'll last, what? 50 shaves? 100? Who knows? I'm sure any technique issues would get ironed out in an awful hurry, or blood will be drawn! "The Esox Method of Learning to Shave" maybe?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1016323

Bullet Tip/PTFE 1
Soap....
View attachment 1016318

View attachment 1016324

I think our Fairy liquid is the same stuff with a different label on. I've used it for handwashing, and some sand or even salt turns it into an excellent swarfega substitute. Never tried shaving with it though.

I have used bar soap, conditioner, and that all in one travel soap stuff, so good results with it don't surprise me. I also have no issues with the disappearing lather olive oil based soaps that seem to vex many on the forum, and that's what's currently on use here.

As I've said several times before, that's why I've given up one the exploration of the shave soaps. There's not enough benefit for the price, considering I can get great shaves with far cheaper products. I don't think my skin would appreciate me using dish soap with any regularity though :D

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

9e1def848a93401aa3f15c428811b5f1.jpg

Very BOSC sir. Thanks for walking us through that shave. Sounds like a decent shave when all was said and done! And to think, $5 for a bottle and it'll last, what? 50 shaves? 100? Who knows? I'm sure any technique issues would get ironed out in an awful hurry, or blood will be drawn! "The Esox Method of Learning to Shave" maybe?

$2 a bottle, or less! Thats a 532ml bottle, which is also apparently 532cc's. I might have used 1cc. By the time water is added I'd bet thats 600 shaves for $2.

As I've said several times before, that's why I've given up one the exploration of the shave soaps. There's not enough benefit for the price, considering I can get great shaves with far cheaper products. I don't think my skin would appreciate me using dish soap with any regularity though

I've not given up on them. CRS and Wickham are clearly much nicer in use and smell better. You can do much worse than Dawn though. T&H 1805 Luxury soap and Midnight & Two would be two examples. I'd rather use Dawn than either of them again.

My skin was and still is very nice. Its only drying initially and then not very much. Not all Dawn soaps are created equally. The regular blue one is the worst. The Botanicals are much gentler on the skin.

I'm confident I can shave with anything thats slick enough. Scent and a little cushion is all I want.

You are my hero! :crying:
tenorn50j9rq4-gif.1016509

BOSC science.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You can definitely shave with WD40 because it has mineral oil. Lovely stuff. Pair it with Dior Fahrenheit.
I was thinking along the lines of Mike using Mineral Spirits as an aftershave balm...but yes.

129190-lrg.png

However, he can pick up a 19 liter drum of Mineral Spirits for around $80. I bet a little would go a long way. You'd think it would pair well with WD-40...look it has an easy pour top!

Then again, if he's into the splashes:
acetone-voc-exempt-hand-wipe-clean-rinse-5-gallon1.png

Look it say's it tones! :001_rolle

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I see BOSC is in full swing of it being Friday the 13th, as well as a harvest moon lol.

As far as aftershave splashes go, 70% iso does the trick if I think I need any.

_69309324_walt624amc.jpg

Top Bottom