What's new

How does blade gap affect aggressiveness?

So I was showing my Merkur Progress to a friend of mine who has also started DE shaving. He was asking how the blade gap will affect the aggressiveness of the razor. I advised him that more of a gap allows more exposure of the blade. Is this an accurate description or is there a better way to explain this? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does allow more blade exposure which in turn gives more blade feel on the skin.
If starting out in DE, not being careful using a more aggressive razor could lead to nicks and burn especially to those with sensitive skin.
You can always work up to using a more aggressive razor as your shaving technique gets better.
As always YMMV.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Great diagram!! Exposure is just one factor in determining ‘aggressiveness.’
Not me, but a special thanks to @ShavingByTheNumbers and @RonR

I personally look for two things, though there are a lot more at play... Gap and exposure. I feel (but could be wrong) they are the biggest players and will at least help direct you to the appropriate agression level.

If I were to go to a store, bringing a rig to scan each razor, I'd get thrown out. Lol. These two (again imo) at least provide guidance.

Damn, now I did feed the urge to answer. Argh. Lol.

Razor aggressiveness and efficiency are dependent upon several head design specifications. Blade gap is just one of those factors. Blade exposure is certainly important as well. The clamping mechanism and blade curvature in the head also affect the way the razor shaves.

In many cases open comb razors are perceived as being more aggressive than safety bar razors, even if the blade gap and blade exposure are similar. However, there are mild open combs as well.

Do not forget the effect of the razor blade on the aggressiveness of a razor. Installing a mild blade like a Derby Extra in an aggressive razor can tame the aggression. Installing an extremely sharp blade like a Feather in a mild razor will make it more aggressive and efficient.

There is a listing of DE razors ranked by aggressiveness. The ranking is based on the subjective opinions of B&B forum members back in 2014. Thus, some newer CNC machined razors are not on the list.

Modern Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Aggressiveness

I have a number of DE razors from the very mild Weishi/VDH TTO to the very aggressive Muhle R41; mine is not the older version that is ranked as most aggressive. I have other razors that fall in between. I can get a great shave from any of my razors as long as I pair it with the right blade and my preshave preparation, shaving lather, and shaving technique are good.

I advised him that more of a gap allows more exposure of the blade. Is this an accurate description or is there a better way to explain this?
It is a little more complicated, with an adjustable like the Progress, because opening it gives a wider blade gap but also more blade exposure as the safety bar lowers; the neutral angle gets slightly steeper too. Add to all that how much pressure you use at what blade angle and the variables increase.
This is a very interesting thread; Merkur Progress - Settings, Blade Exposure and Cutting Angle

Blade.gap is meaningless without reference to exposure. You don't shave with gap. A Fatip Grande has less gap than a Mamba 70. A Blackland Dart less than a Slim on its upper settings. A Merkur Futur at its lowest setting has more gap than an Ikon Tech. It's completely misleading unless you are talking about it in the context of a single adjustable razor. Which is why folks like Blackland have stopped publishing gap specs. Pay attention to exposure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Blade.gap is meaningless without reference to exposure. You don't shave with gap. A Fatip Grande has less gap than a Mamba 70. A Blackland Dart less than a Slim on its upper settings. A Merkur Futur at its lowest setting has more gap than an Ikon Tech. It's completely misleading unless you are talking about it in the context of a single adjustable razor. Which is why folks like Blackland have stopped publishing gap specs. Pay attention to exposure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
+1 I agree completely. In my experience the razors that are blade forward (blade exposure) are significantly more aggressive

So I was showing my Merkur Progress to a friend of mine who has also started DE shaving. He was asking how the blade gap will affect the aggressiveness of the razor. I advised him that more of a gap allows more exposure of the blade. Is this an accurate description or is there a better way to explain this? Thanks for any input.

Efficiency and Aggressiveness are not equivalent, although they may overlap. Some razors can pull off being both efficient and not feeling aggressive, while others do the opposite.

Any new DE shavers out there: Don't worry about silly definitions like "aggressiveness" when you start this thing. That is a non-sense, created just to confuse you. Just limit yourself to "mild" and "efficient" terms and try one or two razors that are defined so. Then you will determine what works for you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This whole conversation, while super informative, has stepped away from the original question.

I think you answered him pretty well as far as he'll need with a progress. As tonich stated above he shouldn't worry too much about all the details.

He has a razor, which to my understanding is smooth and mild on lower settings. You gave him a warning on the settings so he knows that they'll make it a bit more agressive (and efficient). Now he can practice his technique, adjust the gap SLOWLY over many many shaves (if he feels it's needed), and get some experience.

One question back to you... you did tell him to sign up here right? Between the advice, BST, PIF, and general comradery Badger and Blade might be the best thing for him (I know it was for me!). [emoji16]

Razor aggressiveness and efficiency are dependent upon several head design specifications. Blade gap is just one of those factors. Blade exposure is certainly important as well. The clamping mechanism and blade curvature in the head also affect the way the razor shaves.

In many cases open comb razors are perceived as being more aggressive than safety bar razors, even if the blade gap and blade exposure are similar. However, there are mild open combs as well.

Do not forget the effect of the razor blade on the aggressiveness of a razor. Installing a mild blade like a Derby Extra in an aggressive razor can tame the aggression. Installing an extremely sharp blade like a Feather in a mild razor will make it more aggressive and efficient.

There is a listing of DE razors ranked by aggressiveness. The ranking is based on the subjective opinions of B&B forum members back in 2014. Thus, some newer CNC machined razors are not on the list.

Modern Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Aggressiveness

I have a number of DE razors from the very mild Weishi/VDH TTO to the very aggressive Muhle R41; mine is not the older version that is ranked as most aggressive. I have other razors that fall in between. I can get a great shave from any of my razors as long as I pair it with the right blade and my preshave preparation, shaving lather, and shaving technique are good.

Super random side note , but I just ordered one again as I regret selling it the last time. I can not be more excited and am trying to clear my den.

I will most definetly try these blades. I have a couple each from a sample pack.

How much do you think the curvature is in aggressiveness in percentage?
I am very interested in knowing more.

Regarding terminology, how I see it.

proxy.php

All awesome information here!
Just love B&B and the willingness of members to offer up great information like this.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Some newbies start with and love the R41, some veterans use and are happy with the DE89. More important to learn good technique applied with good prep, good lather, the right blade for the right skin, hair and razor, than looking at just efficiency/smoothness. That being said, most find a milder, smoother razor is easier to learn technique when just starting. YMMV

How much do you think the curvature is in aggressiveness in percentage?
I am very interested in knowing more.

I am not certain blade curvature plays a big role in aggressiveness per se, but it sure plays a role in the way a razor shaves. The primary change it makes is in the shave angle that will give a good shave.

Top Bottom