What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

And with Slantember just around the corner... Maybe you got out just in time. :001_rolle Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. We’ll miss you.

I’m a lifer.:)
Thanks. It's very well likely I come back with a different slant in the future. They do make OC slants you know. ;)

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
First shave with Ikon B1 Slant
DSCF0004 - Edited (2).jpg

Pears Transparent Soap face lather and rinse
IKon B1 Stainless Steel Slant Bulldog Handle
Mr. PB24BA-04 Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Cool washcloth rinse​

Struggled with dialing in the optimum angle, which could explain the two nicks on my chin and slight neck irritation. This is one very aggressive razor with a ton of blade feel and audio feedback. Still achieved BBS in two passes, WTG and ATG. It was one of the closest shaves I’ve had in my 35 years of wet shaving.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited.jpg

Friday 08.16.19 SOTD
Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
Maggard Slant Chrome.Ikon OSS Handle / Nacet (1)
Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Orange Sunrise
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash​

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Guten tag allerseits!!! So today I broke out my Fasan Open Comb slant which I had imported from Germany. I didn't know what to expect, but if I had guessed ahead of time, I would have guessed much more "wild" than "mild"....instead, it was MUCH more "mild" than "wild"!!! By mild, I mean it is a super smoother shaver without a hint of aggression; but it also comes with a decent amount of efficiency. I was very happy with this shave. I have it's modern clone/cousin (the PAA BOCS), and I'm anxious to compare the two. For now, here are the details on today's shave:

3-passes (WTG, XTG, and a full XTG/ATG which also served as the clean-up) | the blade was a well-worn Voskhod (7th shave) | the soap was Meißner Tremonia Dark Limes -- a first time use for me and I really liked the performance, the scent is....unique....not off-putting; and not strong....but sort of a slight lime-like with a hint of smoke(?) | the brush was my Yaqi Moka with the 24mm Mew Brown knot | No after shave, just a healthy splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.

Final Result was a very smooth (CCS-DFS-BBS) and very comfortable (no blood, no irritation) shave!!!
IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

Guten tag allerseits!!! So today I broke out my Fasan Open Comb slant which I had imported from Germany. I didn't know what to expect, but if I had guessed ahead of time, I would have guessed much more "wild" than "mild"....instead, it was MUCH more "mild" than "wild"!!! By mild, I mean it is a super smoother shaver without a hint of aggression; but it also comes with a decent amount of efficiency. I was very happy with this shave. I have it's modern clone/cousin (the PAA BOCS), and I'm anxious to compare the two. For now, here are the details on today's shave:

3-passes (WTG, XTG, and a full XTG/ATG which also served as the clean-up) | the blade was a well-worn Voskhod (7th shave) | the soap was Meißner Tremonia Dark Limes -- a first time use for me and I really liked the performance, the scent is....unique....not off-putting; and not strong....but sort of a slight lime-like with a hint of smoke(?) | the brush was my Yaqi Moka with the 24mm Mew Brown knot | No after shave, just a healthy splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.

Final Result was a very smooth (CCS-DFS-BBS) and very comfortable (no blood, no irritation) shave!!!
View attachment 1008551

View attachment 1008552

Judging by this one photo, my oxblood PBOCS is a darn close facsimile of its ancestor. Post that comparison (with extensive photographic support) when you get the opportunity! :001_302:

Flintstone65

Nice review.
Is the Fasan a vintage razor?
How did the soap perform for you?
Thanks. The Fasan is definitely vintage. Fasan is Germany company who filed a US patent for this razor in 1934 and it was approved/activated in 1938. I couldn't find anything in Waits' Compendium on how long this razor was produced. The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) Bakelite Open Comb Slant (BOCS) is based on this razor.

The soap performance truly was excellent!!! Easy to produce a protective and slick lather -- the scent is "unusual", but it's not overt or obnoxious. I've only used both of these items once, but I'm a fan of both at the moment!

Flintstone65

Judging by this one photo, my oxblood PBOCS is a darn close facsimile of its ancestor. Post that comparison (with extensive photographic support) when you get the opportunity! :001_302:
Will do -- and I just happen to have an oxblood PBOCS as well, so a comparison will be coming before long! ;)

Hi,

That Fasan and the PAA clone is a Single Slant. Fasan made one with twice the helix twist, called the Double Slant. Which, gives an even better shave. ;)

The DoubleSlant was also available with a metal top cap.

There was also an all-metal version, but I never did pick one up so I have no photo of that one.

Stan

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0003 - Edited.jpg

Saturday 08.17.19 SOTD

IKon B1 Stainless Steel Slant Bulldog Handle / Nacet (2)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badge
Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave​

Flintstone65

Hi,

That Fasan and the PAA clone is a Single Slant. Fasan made one with twice the helix twist, called the Double Slant. Which, gives an even better shave. ;)

The DoubleSlant was also available with a metal top cap.

There was also an all-metal version, but I never did pick one up so I have no photo of that one.

Stan
That is a gorgeous razor :001_wub:!!! I've only run across a handful of those in my "travels", but they've either been damaged or beyond my means. Yours is the best looking one I have ever seen.

Flintstone65

Had another shave with my Fasan Bakelite Slant last night before bed. It is really a nice razor. I got a solid DFS+ after 3 standard passes (WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG), no drama (no blood or irritation) -- just a nice close shave. I have to say that what that razor does to the blade is almost criminal....the blade is twisted so much that it wants to spring out when I unscrew the handle.

The details (sorry no pic) were: the Fasan with a Voskhod (8), Haslinger's Honig lathered with a Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown in a "purple haze" handle, and finished with a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.

View attachment 1008551

View attachment 1008552

Beautiful razor, I am also looking forward the the comparison to the PAA.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0001s - Edited.jpg

Monday 08.19.19 SOTD
IKon B1 Stainless Steel Slant Bulldog Handle / Nacet (3)
RazoRock 24mm Barrel Silvertip Badger
Barrister and Mann Cheshire Shaving Soap
Barrister And Mann Barrister's Cheshire Aftershave​

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh

DSCF0003 - Edited (2).jpg
Tuesday 08.20.19 SOTD

Tcheon Fung Sing D iVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
Merkur 37c HD / Parker Premium Platinum (1)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Spice Shaving Soap
Barrister's Reserve Spice Aftershave Splash​

Flintstone65

Friday, August 23rd

First shave with the PAA BOCS. It was a very good shave CCS,DFS,BBS with 3-passes (WTG, XTG-ATG, Clean-up). I still want to do a same shave comparison between the Fasan and the PAA, but my gut reaction is that the Fasan was a touch less aggressive than the PAA.

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash
Razor: PAA Bakelight Open Comb Slant
Blade: Voskhod (3)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Brown (faux horse) knot in rainbow handle
Soap: LEA Menthol Cream
Post-Shave: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel and Krampert's Finest Frostbite after shave
IMG_2061.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0002 - Edited (1).jpg

Saturday 08.24.19 SOTD

Merkur 37c HD / Astra SP (2)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
Chiseled FaceTrade Winds Shaving Soap
Chiseled FaceTrade Winds Aftershave Splash​

Friday, August 23rd

First shave with the PAA BOCS. It was a very good shave CCS,DFS,BBS with 3-passes (WTG, XTG-ATG, Clean-up). I still want to do a same shave comparison between the Fasan and the PAA, but my gut reaction is that the Fasan was a touch less aggressive than the PAA.

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash
Razor: PAA Bakelight Open Comb Slant
Blade: Voskhod (3)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Brown (faux horse) knot in rainbow handle
Soap: LEA Menthol Cream
Post-Shave: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel and Krampert's Finest Frostbite after shave
View attachment 1010620

I borrowed the PAA OC slant from a friend and really enjoyed it. I ended up getting the Alpha Ecliptic but I plan on picking up the OC slant later. That photo looks great BTW.

Top Bottom