What's new

Barbershop scented soaps

Barbershop may as well be called Any Fragrance at this point. Some of the ones actually called Barbershop, Like Soap Commander Honor which I love, smell absolutely nowhere near what the Stirling smells like. And then oddly enough, something not called Barbershop, like Proraso Green for example, reminds me of an actual Italian-owned barbershop my dad frequented when I was a kid on the south side of Chicago. Feel free to buy/try anything called Barbershop, get scents all over the map, and then expect some random scent to remind you of a Barbershop, if you've ever been in one, of course. :D

There are 2 threads going simultaneously with the same question so i'll just copy and paste my response into both of them.... -

there are many different of interpretations of "the barbershop" scent depending on personal experience...

but for me - I used to have a European/Spanish barber in NYC (Manhattan) that always finished my haircuts by slapping around my neck, face, & forehead with a giant soft brush doused with Pinaud talc,... producing a wonderful comforting cloud of powdery goodness around my head.

So to me, the perfect barbershop scent that reminds me of those haircuts - is captured by Pinaud Clubman original aftershave, and i therefore recommend you pair that with Pinaud Clubman shave soap. The 2 of those are the perfect combo soap & splash of powdery yet manly barbershoppy'ness.

proxy.php

*(not my photo...copied from google images/youtube)

Last edited:
There are 2 threads going simultaneously with the same question so i'll just copy and paste my response into both of them.... -

- I used to have a European/Spanish barber in NYC (Manhattan) that always finished my haircuts by slapping around my neck, face, & forehead with a giant soft brush doused with Pinaud talc,... producing a wonderful comforting cloud of powdery goodness around my head.
My barber here in Austin does that. So old school, even though she's only thirty-ish. I love it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Lots of great suggestions
Stirling barbershop is one of my favorites but its unlike most of the others. Its incredibly vanilla based.

Now that I think on it, a "barbershop scent" should be something like the combined scents of everything in a traditional barbershop: soap, talc, aftershave, Barbicide, cigar smoke, hair products, light oil (for the clippers), whatever they used to clean the floors, etc.

If you love Stirling Barbershop, I'm sure you'll like Noble Otter Barrbarr. It's obviously not the same but it's the most similar Barbershop scent I've tried.

Seville and First Canadian Barbershop are also favourites of mine...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Have tried many "Barbershop" scented soaps. A&E Platinum Barbershop would be at the top of my list. Probably the power of suggestion, but the description compares it to a "Barbershop in Milan". I would tend to agree. Great base, subtle and classy scent.

I've used Stirling Barbershop and the performance was great. However, from a scent standpoint the vanilla in the soap was just too much for me. I've been using Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop for a very long time now, and for me the performance of his soaps are fantastic and this one is no exception. Not to mention, it's a very nice clean Barbershop scent and many aftershaves pair nicely with it. I like it it's a keeper in my book.
Mike's had a lot of patchouli in it. I didn't really care for the scent.

Just to add to the debate, I have also always found T&H Grafton shaving cream representative of a barbershop- type fragrance - albeit an old British one! It’s a fantastic performer all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a puck of Fine American Blend. Great scent! Same scent family as Mike's Barbershop. Very different than Stirling's Barbershop. And I like Fine's soap base.

1. DG Bandwagon (but too soft for my taste, but best in performance)
2. Mikes Barbershop (performance just under DG)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wk and wsp have hit the barbershop scent out of the park for me
Stirling is my favorite non barbershop scent as its much more vanilla delicious
G D has the best performance but their barbershop smells nothing like close to even the barbershop category.

I’ve tried Stirling, Seville, Ghost Town Barber, and Cooper & French Authentic Barber. Cooper & French is my favorite by far. I don’t see them mentioned a lot but found them via a Google search.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Colonel Conk Bay Rum aftershave has a great scent, but I'd hardly call it a classic Bay Rum scent...or Bay Rum at all for that matter. But it does remind me of a classic barbershop scent.

Also, Phoenix Club Guy, their take on Pinaud Club Man, is pretty good in the barbershop scent category.

WSP Barbershop is nice--performs well too. Can't say how it compares to Seville but I know I like it :001_rolle
Seville has a citrus note that WSP doesn't have. WSP barbershop is a nice clean fresh smell. Very nice. Not the same, but closer to B&M reserve cool. Now that is a good smelling barbershop scent.

Top Bottom