What's new

3ONE6 Initial Experience

I have both razors, recently acquired. My early impression is that the EJ 3one6 is more aggressive than the GC.84

I agree, when riding the cap its more aggressive and more efficient than the GC 84, and I really like the GC 84. What I'm enjoying with the 3one6 is that riding the safety bar decreases the aggressive nature significantly, but it doesnt lose much efficiency. Possibly due in part to the ridged safety bar? Not sure, but I'm liking this razor and am going to keep experimenting with blades to find the best fit.

I've got a couple shaves with a Feather blade in this week and I have to retract my earlier comment about this razor preferring mild blades. Both shaves with the Feather were absolutely outstanding. Wonderfully smooth and efficient two pass shaves. I rode the cap the entire shave with the Feather, zero nicks, weepers, or irritation.

I'll use the Feather a couple more days and then I want to try a Shark Platinum.

I picked up a RR Lupo last week and got sidetracked trying that razor out for a couple days. It’s a good shaver, I like it. Especially at that price.

I got back to the 3one6 and dropped a fresh Shark Platinum in it with excellent results. 2 shaves in with the Shark so I don’t know how long it will last yet, but the first two shaves were smooth.

I’m going to try another GSB at some point. Every other blade I’ve tried has worked well. I don’t recall ever getting a dud GSB, but maybe this time I did.

As I mentioned earlier the Lupo is a nice razor. Having shaved with the Lupo and the 3one6 back to back I can say that for me, the 3one6 is smoother and much more efficient than the RR offering. Of course that’s just my face and their is a price difference to consider.

I tried 2 more GSB blades in the 3ONE6 and neither was as smooth as the Feather, Astra, or Shark Platinum. All three of these blades provide a remarkable shave in the 3ONE6.

I've reached for the 3ONE6 for almost every shave since it arrived at my door. My other razors are collecting dust. I wont say its the greatest razor ever but it sure has found a home with me. Something about this razor just works for my beard. I suspect its the ridged safety bar. Whatever it is I'm quite pleased.

I initially purchased the all steel knurled 3ONE6 but didn't get along with it for some reason. However, I did finally pick up a black anodized 3ONE3 and it has been stellar for me. Go figure.

So far I like the Astra SP the best in it with the Red Israeli and Gillette Yellows a close tie for second. It goes to show that different razors like different blades as I used to dislike the Astra SP but now it is pretty much my go to for this 3ONE6. Nevertheless, there are more blades to try so this should be interesting. I know some have had good luck with the Feather in the 3ONE6 but not me, though I like the Feather in my Edwin Jagger DE89 so they still have a home. :)

I agree that the ridges on the safety bar add a nice little extra to the shave.

I initially purchased the all steel knurled 3ONE6 but didn't get along with it for some reason. However, I did finally pick up a black anodized 3ONE3 and it has been stellar for me. Go figure.

So far I like the Astra SP the best in it with the Red Israeli and Gillette Yellows a close tie for second. It goes to show that different razors like different blades as I used to dislike the Astra SP but now it is pretty much my go to for this 3ONE6. Nevertheless, there are more blades to try so this should be interesting. I know some have had good luck with the Feather in the 3ONE6 but not me, though I like the Feather in my Edwin Jagger DE89 so they still have a home. :)

I agree that the ridges on the safety bar add a nice little extra to the shave.

Astra SP is excellent in this razor and if you get a chance to try Sharks, do. It’s as if the razor were designed for the Astra and Shark.

The 3one6 moved ahead of my Karve and GC84. I’m mostly over my RAD and can’t imagine needing a better shave than these three razors provide. I’m going to keep an eye on the new Tradere project. Once the initial - OMG this is the greatest razor ever -reviews are out of the way I may grab one if it looks appealing. Beyond that I am terribly tickled with this latest offering from EJ.

I tried 2 more GSB blades in the 3ONE6 and neither was as smooth as the Feather, Astra, or Shark.
Snowman,

FWIW I shaved this morning using the 3ONE6 with a Gillette Silver-Blue Blade and got an outstanding shave. I definitely liked it better than the Gillette Yellow in this razor and I would dare say that I would put it on par with the Astra SP.

I wonder why the difference in experiences? Stuff happens I guess.

I lathered with DR Harris Almond soap if that info is of any value.

Snowman,

FWIW I shaved this morning using the 3ONE6 with a Gillette Silver-Blue Blade and got an outstanding shave. I definitely liked it better than the Gillette Yellow in this razor and I would dare say that I would put it on par with the Astra SP.

I wonder why the difference in experiences? Stuff happens I guess.

I lathered with DR Harris Almond soap if that info is of any value.

My shaves with the GSBs weren’t bad, just not as good as Feather, Astra, and Shark. I have enough blades laying around that I only use top performers in each razor. I have a lot of Astras so that will probably be my go to blade in the 316 for a while.

Just ordered one in Red from the English Shaving Co. Not sure how long the trip across the pond will take but eager to give this one a try.

Just ordered one in Red from the English Shaving Co. Not sure how long the trip across the pond will take but eager to give this one a try.
English Shaving Company is great! I'm sure you'll receive it sooner than you might expect. They seem to have this international shipping thing down pretty well. Charolette is great on customer service too!

I received my 3one6 today. 6 days from order to delivery in Ohio, I’m impressed. My first impression when I opened the box was Wow it’s tiny but it feels good in my hands. I popped a Feather in it and lathered up with the EJ sample soap they sent. This razor really tames the feather blade. I got a very nice 3 pass BBS. Going to use this against some of my regulars but first impression is better than the Rocca, and slightly more efficient than GC .84

I received my 3one6 today. 6 days from order to delivery in Ohio, I’m impressed. My first impression when I opened the box was Wow it’s tiny but it feels good in my hands. I popped a Feather in it and lathered up with the EJ sample soap they sent. This razor really tames the feather blade. I got a very nice 3 pass BBS. Going to use this against some of my regulars but first impression is better than the Rocca, and slightly more efficient than GC .84

NICE!! Great when things just work! :a14::a14::a14:

@Shavemd glad the first shave went well. I also found the 316 to be more efficient than the GC84. To me the handle reminds me of older razors. Some have commented it’s too thin. It feels great to me, but I tend to not like some of the oversized handles popular today. I have large mitts and the 316 feels great to me. Ever since I got mine I haven’t looked back. My GC is getting lonely.

Second shave with the 3one6, I also got the Silversmith this week so I have been alternating. 4th use Feather blade, shower and Sebum soap. 2 passes WTG, ATG and a small touchup under the jawline gave me a very smooth irritation free BBS, I think EJ came in late to the game but really nailed it with its first SS head.

Top Bottom