What's new

Is Old Spice the most iconic aftershave ever?

Being in a bathroom doesn't make something iconic. ;)

No, but lack of presence in most people's home could disqualify it as iconic. The point is that IMO, while it may be a classic, it's only iconic if it's the first thing most people would think of, as opposed to hobbyists or enthusiasts.

No, but lack of presence in most people's home could disqualify it as iconic. The point is that IMO, while it may be a classic, it's only iconic if it's the first thing most people would think of, as opposed to hobbyists or enthusiasts.

I was ribbing you about your argument, not for or against a particular AS.

Old Spice, Skin Bracer, or Aqua Velva would all be high on responses for what people would answer when queried "Name an aftershave." I don't know of any such polls so can only respond that Skin Bracer was used by my dad and grandfather. I would assume most people would be like me, but without polls or sale figures it is someone thinking most people are like them. They all came about in the 1930's and have had a long life.

I was ribbing you about your argument, not for or against a particular AS.

Old Spice, Skin Bracer, or Aqua Velva would all be high on responses for what people would answer when queried "Name an aftershave." I don't know of any such polls so can only respond that Skin Bracer was used by my dad and grandfather. I would assume most people would be like me, but without polls or sale figures it is someone thinking most people are like them. They all came about in the 1930's and have had a long life.

I would expect all three to be high on the list.

Iconic depends in part on your background, and where you live. Brut, Old Spice, British Sterling, Pashana, Skin Bracer, Clubman, The Veg, Aqua Velva--all (and others) can lay claim, to varying degrees.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hai Karate is the only aftershave I remember my Dad wearing A LOT, lol. But he did use Brut, Skin Bracer, and in later years he used almost exclusively Stetson, cuz Mom loved it. RARELY if ever did he use Old Spice, though our neighbor gave him some every year for Christmas. Man, I wish I had those!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Fifty years ago, it would have been a toss-up between Old Spice and Aqua Velva. (Pinaud Clubman was not widely distributed in supermarkets or pharmacies back then.)

Today, I would rank AV (again!) and Pinaud Clubman as iconic AS brands.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gotta be an Old Spice- AV Blue throwdown … Clubman was for barbershops, yes.

on a side note: am I the only one who is concerned about the blue dye in the AV staining my white shirts? You do slap it on. Is it making our faces 1% blue? Are we Picts? Dunno!

AA

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Aqua Velva was founded in 1917. Skin Bracer started in 1931 by Mennen. Old Spice for men was released in 1938. Brut was launched in 1964. Lucky Tiger has been around since 1935. Pinaud Clubman has been around the longest since 1810.

Last edited:

on a side note: am I the only one who is concerned about the blue dye in the AV staining my white shirts? You do slap it on. Is it making our faces 1% blue? Are we Picts? Dunno!

AA
Picts or it didn't happen! :001_tongu

Old Spice means quality
Said the Captain to the Bosun
So look for the package with
The ship that sails the ocean.

Right up there with "How are you fixed for blades".

AA

I distinctly remember skin bracer staining one of my favorite ties GREEN!

OS is a classic! However, Pinaud Clubman is definitely a contender for the term ‘iconic!’ :a14::a14:

I agree. I like wearing different scents to the barbershop. When I wear OS, the barber usually doesn't recognize the scent specifically as OS. But when I wear Clubman to the barbershop, he nails it as Clubman.

Old Spice was a cologne first, wasn’t it? And now it’s an entire product line.
To me, an aftershave has to be just an a/s not a scent.
I would say the velva or the bracer. Possibly casswell Massey but I think one is even older
The Veg.

Top Bottom