What's new

My 1st TTO – Gillette #22; Hard Water

Today was a good day. Delivery came for my first TTO razor—a Gillette Aristocrat #22. After much researching, I decided it was time to try and make this ‘someday’ razor a ‘today’ razor. To my delight, I discovered this copy had been incorrectly labeled online and subsequently discounted after not having sold. For me, the #22 has special significance. It was made around the time my Dad was born and being a British model, is a tribute to the many good years I spent in England.

Pictured with it is my trusted daily driver, the ATT Altus with M1 head. The only other razor I’ve found suitably mild is a post-war Tech. So here’s to hoping this new find will like me as well. Yet I have a few questions. Currently it’s soaking in hot soapy water in preparation for tomorrow’s shave.

1) The water where I live is extremely hard. So much so around here, we get buildup on cartridge razors, tea kettles, etc. Any suggestions on how to care for this fine instrument?

2) My ATT, I never disassemble post-shave. I’ve always rinsed and wiped with a towel. Is that suitable for the Aristocrat or do I need to open, rinse & dry somehow? I’m looking forward to many years of refined shaves with it.

Also, and idea if the blades pictured are original?
Razors1.jpg
Razors2.jpg

Your 3rd generation #22 should look just like the following from mr-razor (you probably shouldn't post from another forum on B&B). I always weigh my razors to compare and leave no uncertainty. Pick yourself up a cream razor dispenser to complete the set and you will be good to go. Great razor IMO. The 3rd generation Brit Aristocrat has the smoothest TTO of any razor I own (thanks Dan).

As for caring, rinse it off after using and dry with a soft cloth. Occasionally Dawn dish detergent in warm water. Should last another 100 years.

Congrats on your score!

1949 (U2 on blade) Aristocrat No16.jpg

Scrubbing Bubbles once a year and barbicide dips for 10 or so minutes after a shave for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely razor and case in seemingly perfect condition, score!!!

To your question: What bigger joy every morning after a perfect shave to open your British Aristocrat, remove the blade, rinse the razor thoroughly, maybe even clean it with an old tooth brush and then polish dry, take one last longing look and put it carefully on the shelf to dry out.

OCD - not me - but I love this ritual every morning :001_wub:

PS. We have very hard water here too, I need the above to avoid stains.

Last edited:
Hard water can leave it’s mark. Our deep well has great tasting water but the lime in the water will spot over time. I have good luck with just a rinse and shake till water stops coming out, followed with a towel dry. At blade change a few squirts of Clean Shower and scrubbing with a toothbrush then rinse and shake and it will look good as new. Letting some CS run down into the handle at cleanup time keeps the mechanism working smoothly.

Enjoy the wonderful shaves.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not too shabby for your first TTO! Congratulations. Give that Brit a Dawn/hot water bath every now and then and it will last you (and your heirs, too) a lifetime.

I believe thats a 3rd generation British Aristocrat, as it has the flat base. A 4th generation, like #66 would have the triangle base

After re-investigating, I do believe my copy is a 4th generation. When viewing the base plate from top and bottom vantages, the distinctive diamond shape is clearly visible. I understand the 3rd generation is a bit heavier. Aside from that, I would be curious if there are any forum members who have used both and could comment on how the performance differs between the to. @Hannah's Dad, are you able to shed any light?

Your 3rd generation #22 should look just like the following from mr-razor (you probably shouldn't post from another forum on B&B). I always weigh my razors to compare and leave no uncertainty. Pick yourself up a cream razor dispenser to complete the set and you will be good to go. Great razor IMO. The 3rd generation Brit Aristocrat has the smoothest TTO of any razor I own (thanks Dan).

As for caring, rinse it off after using and dry with a soft cloth. Occasionally Dawn dish detergent in warm water. Should last another 100 years.

Congrats on your score!

View attachment 1007974
My bad on the cross link, @It's Hedley! I intended to use mr-razor.com, but I missed.

Great idea on weighing the razor. I don’t currently have access to a scale, but I’ll doing that next opportunity.

Lovely razor and case in seemingly perfect condition, score!!!

To your question: What bigger joy every morning after a perfect shave to open your British Aristocrat, remove the blade, rinse the razor thoroughly, maybe even clean it with an old tooth brush and then polish dry, take one last longing look and put it carefully on the shelf to dry out.

OCD - not me - but I love this ritual every morning :001_wub:

PS. We have very hard water here too, I need the above to avoid stains.
:a14: OCD in the morning is the best!

Not too shabby for your first TTO! Congratulations. Give that Brit a Dawn/hot water bath every now and then and it will last you (and your heirs, too) a lifetime.

Many thanks all for the feedback! I plan to start with a periodic hot dawn bath and see how that goes. Maybe add some Scrubbing Bubbles or Clean shower if that's not cutting it!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After re-investigating, I do believe my copy is a 4th generation. When viewing the base plate from top and bottom vantages, the distinctive diamond shape is clearly visible. I understand the 3rd generation is a bit heavier. Aside from that, I would be curious if there are any forum members who have used both and could comment on how the performance differs between the to. @Hannah's Dad, are you able to shed any light?

My bad on the cross link, @It's Hedley! I intended to use mr-razor.com, but I missed.

Great idea on weighing the razor. I don’t currently have access to a scale, but I’ll doing that next opportunity.

:a14: OCD in the morning is the best!

Many thanks all for the feedback! I plan to start with a periodic hot dawn bath and see how that goes. Maybe add some Scrubbing Bubbles or Clean shower if that's not cutting it!
Happy to share my experiences with you.

The 4th Gen is one of the mildest, smoothest and most comfortable TTOs ever made, in my opinion. A great daily driver with an abundance of class. The 3rd Gen, as you’ve correctly pointed out, is heavier and has the flat baseplate. To me, it’s a bit more ‘aggressive’ and probably a bit more ‘efficient’. You’ve scored a fantastic razor.

If you find it too mild for your tastes, you may want to hunt an earlier Generation.

Enjoy!!

Happy to share my experiences with you.

The 4th Gen is one of the mildest, smoothest and most comfortable TTOs ever made, in my opinion. A great daily driver with an abundance of class. The 3rd Gen, as you’ve correctly pointed out, is heavier and has the flat baseplate. To me, it’s a bit more ‘aggressive’ and probably a bit more ‘efficient’. You’ve scored a fantastic razor.

If you find it too mild for your tastes, you may want to hunt an earlier Generation.

Enjoy!!

+1 on everything said by this wise man. Both are lovely but, honestly, in a close race I like the 4th generation a wee tad better for its ultra smoothness. But both are in my top 5.

Many thanks again gentlemen! I'm now 2 shaves in and still honing my technique with it. It's a very different experience from the Altas. For me, I'm glad I ended up with a 4th gen as it's at the upper end of the aggressiveness scale for me. Nevertheless, it has been a real treat!

One last question if you'll permit me. Any thoughts on how the 4th generation British Aristocrats compare to the American? If a fellow were to look for a mild American Aristocrat, where should he look? Asking for a friend, of course ;)

Top Bottom