What's new

Perseid meteors - who saw?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Meteor shower peaked this morning.

Perseids - Wikipedia

Though "almost full moon interferes," there was a window of viewing, just before dawn.

I saw one the other morning, a real scorcher with a train.

Today I gave it a few minutes and was rewarded: a green-white one with a bright flare! Then, a satellite went zipping through the radiant point. Pretty neat.

But numbers, no. No storm.

Who saw, and how many?

AA

Was raining here too. My brother drove a couple hours out of the city to photograph them. I’ll see if he has any pics I can share.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah! Finally. Thanks.

No, a light haze set in and the delicate touch of disease-carrying mosquitos bade me make it short.

Still; glad I saw a few. November and December's shooting-stars are less uncomfortable - and there's always hope of a meteor storm ... dozens or hundreds per hour - which I have seen - and always trying to see again.

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No chance here. Went to bed bout 10pm and rolled out of bed about 9am. I did see a shooting star yesterday on the way to work around 4:45am. Maybe that was the start of the shower!

We had a bit of rain last night.
I was spoiled by the Leonids in 2002(?).
What a show that was. I even saw a bright and persistent trail through some light cloud cover just before sunrise.

The showers peak often on the 13th, but the debris field is larger. I watched last week and saw many. Last week, the moon was not as bright and the night was clear.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw another one this morning - after giving up! Funny.

No meteor storm this year ...

Practicing astronomy has gotten more hazardous on my street with a number of nuisance bears - two dogs killed so far. In the pitch-dark, have to watch your immediate surroundings carefully as well as those light-years away ...

AA

I ALWAYS miss it! [emoji34]

One of these years I'll be up on the 6 meter band and get to properly enjoy it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I have never seen a storm, so like RandyC, so yes, I always MISS "it". So I must remain content with many, id est a dozen over an hour+ .

I think the real reason to watch, is just to go outside and enjoy

He took this picture earlier. I think before the peak so you can see a few but not many.

2B2C475E-0C73-441B-8172-2442B385BBD6.jpeg

I did go out Monday night around 2300 until 0230 and the sky was clear and the moon was pretty bright so I was wearing a wide brim hat to block off the moonlight. Temperature was in the mid 80s and I was wearing jeans, t-shirt and light rain jacket wind breaker to ward off mosquitos. Interestingly there was a slight breeze and that was keeping the mosquitos away as I wasn't bothered by them at all. I did see quite a bit although I did doze off and on while I was out there. LOL. All in all I enjoyed myself and I had a good night. I need to do that more often.

Mike

Slow Perseid year. I saw 6 from about 3:30-4. The 2 brightest were dropping to the S horizon. The rest were straight up streakers. I can always feel a split second of trepidation when one lights up! Is it the fear of one surviving entry?!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Slow Perseid year. I saw 6 from about 3:30-4. The 2 brightest were dropping to the S horizon. The rest were straight up streakers. I can always feel a split second of trepidation when one lights up! Is it the fear of one surviving entry?!

Wicked thunderstorms here last night, fearful cat clung to sleepers. Anyways. Saw none, but it goes for a few nights.

Surviving entry happens! I have a jar full of meteorites.

Sometimes you can see the smoke trail linger ...

AA

I went out in the backyard with my 9 year old daughter (a budding astronomer) a couple of nights ago. It was a clear night, and it was prior to the moon rising. We saw a handful, and a couple of fireballs. I got the scope out and checked out Saturn and Jupiter while we were at it.

I sat out in a lawn chair with a fairly wide view of the sky from the zenith to the north. There is a decent amount of light in the area but I can usually see at least one good one over that time frame... but last night? bupkiss... nada ... I may try again tonight...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I sat out in a lawn chair with a fairly wide view of the sky from the zenith to the north. There is a decent amount of light in the area but I can usually see at least one good one over that time frame... but last night? bupkiss... nada ... I may try again tonight...

One bolide would make it worth it!

Saw an amazing one once. Thought kids had shot off a flare gun. Three different colors, and I thought the "flare" came down on my neighbors house. It - the meteor - came down in Alabama!

Watch for the ISS and satellites, too, if it's near dusk or dawn.

AA

Top Bottom