What's new

Newb to DE Safety Razor: Recommended Handles?

I finally decided I’m paying too much for overpriced cartridges and am making the plunge into DE safety razors. I picked up a Van Der Hagen handle at Walgreens with 5 extra blades for about $25.

I have been carousing the forum and trying to decide if the Van Der Hagen will be a good handle to start. I was looking at some Merkur safety razors on Amazon and they have many options but I’m too much of a newb to know what works best.

Anyone have some good handles to recommend for a beginner? Should I stick with the Van Der Hagen I bought at Walgreens and work on technique?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the Van Der Hagen handle I got at Walgreens. First shave I had some nicks but I’m willing to stick with it.

proxy.php

So, I take it that when you say handles, you really mean razors, right?

I would stick with the same razor for a bit before adding more variables.

+1. As a sort of noob, this is good advice.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but technique is pretty much everything; if you have good technique you’re going to be able to shave with pretty much anything, and you’re going to have a better idea of what you want in the end, plus you’re going to save a ton of money.

I went nuts like almost everybody does when they get into this, and it wasn’t until I slowed down and took a few weeks with the same razor, blades and soap bases that it started to solidify.

After that, THEN you can worry about different razors and soaps and whatnot.

FWIW, what I ended up settling on and getting seriously great shaves was NOTHING like what I thought I would in the beginning...

M

Member 113878

+1.
At the beginning it’s best to work on technique.
A blades sampler is a great idea.
What soap or cream are you using, if I my ask?

So, I take it that when you say handles, you really mean razors, right?

I would stick with the same razor for a bit before adding more variables.

+2! Definitely! Stick with one set up until your technique is reasonably solid.

I also suggest that you read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.

Brother UT,

There's good advice above. I would add there is no recorded instance of a handle ever nicking a shaver in the history of shaving.

It all comes down to experimentation, face preparation, your preferences, the angle of the handle, and pressure.

Some shavers prefer thicker handles and others prefer thinner handles; some shaver prefer short handles and others prefer longer handles.

The universe of shaving supplies, personal preferences, and techniques is vast.

BTW, When people say "Technique" this includes getting a great lather and having great prep. It doesn't just mean "wielding the implement correctly". Watch videos about how to make a great lather.

BTW, When people say "Technique" this includes getting a great lather and having great prep. It doesn't just mean "wielding the implement correctly". Watch videos about how to make a great lather.

+1
My "bad shave days" have typically been bad lather days.
Everything works (or doesn't) together.

Here’s my newb set up. I just completed my 2nd shave with DE and two passes went smooth. I’m getting the hang of the technique. I read somewhere on here first pass is beard reduction, not removal. 2nd pass gets it close and 3rd pass BBS.

VDH Razor with VDH blades (sampler blade kit en route)

Perfecto badger brush and stand
Proraso cream and after shave lotion

proxy.php

Today was first day with a brush, cream and a bowl. I quickly learned too much water makes for a runny mess. Second pass I got it right and got a good lather.

Razors are like instruments a good musician can make magic on anything.

But with no technique no matter the razor or blade you will struggle.

Take your time don’t chase the perfect BBS shave at first.

Today was first day with a brush, cream and a bowl. I quickly learned too much water makes for a runny mess. Second pass I got it right and got a good lather.
Welcome to B&B. Technique and good lather takes time so work on them. Remember it is the blade that does the cutting so try a few blades. you cannot go wrong with Proraso products. The Shave Wiki is very helpful; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade

+1
My "bad shave days" have typically been bad lather days.
Everything works (or doesn't) together.
+1 ... I agree completely with the above statements that technique is the most important thing but also prep is equally important (ie bowl lathering, pre-shave—I usually either use pre-shave oil or proraso preshave and I changed to a cold water rinse between passes and that helped out too) Also finding the right blade razor combo is key. GL

Top Bottom