What's new

Naniwa Big Green Brick

86B573B1-1952-4726-8C38-DB187599BA1D.jpeg

Yep it sure is big...and green. Question is: is this a splash and go or is soaking required? Online opinions seem to vary...thanks

Don't have the green brick, but I do have a synthetic blue aoto. Have to permasoak that one, it's liable to cracks and breakage if allowed to dry - I've epoxied it back together, and will find some acrylic to epoxy it to soon (it's dry again, left the cover off the container again).

Should make a nice stone for use after a 1k bevel setter, but watch for mud. If it's like my aoto, it's easy to work up a big thick layer, and I'd be concerned about blunting the apex. Light pressure works the best, at least on the blue one you can actually shave stone off if you are careless, and that certainly will remove any apex present....

Don't have the green brick, but I do have a synthetic blue aoto. Have to permasoak that one, it's liable to cracks and breakage if allowed to dry - I've epoxied it back together, and will find some acrylic to epoxy it to soon (it's dry again, left the cover off the container again).

Should make a nice stone for use after a 1k bevel setter, but watch for mud. If it's like my aoto, it's easy to work up a big thick layer, and I'd be concerned about blunting the apex. Light pressure works the best, at least on the blue one you can actually shave stone off if you are careless, and that certainly will remove any apex present....
It is stamped with aotoishi(青砥石) so I guess it's an aoto?

Aoto means medium sharpening stone as far as I know these days. Blue natural aoto are highly prized, but the synthetic works fine so long as you don't ever let it dry out. Too many wet/dry cycles and it cracks into chunks. I don't think the green one does that.

Aoto means blue-stone, typically from Kameoka. Synths referred to as Aotoishi can mean almost anything between Arato and Shiage-to.
Anyway, unlike Nani Superstones, that also have shrimp logos, the Green Brick is a soaker but once in a while you'll find someone that uses it splash and go. I soaked mine, maybe 5-10 minutes. I do nto recall them having issues with drying out and cracking but that was a while ago.
For me, it's too soft for razors - at least for my style of honing and edge expectations. Better for cutlery for me, but there are better stones in that class. Even so, the BGB is fun to sharpern with. The mud is its calling card, that's where the joy is. But you have to be a mudpuppy to appreciate it. You can get great working edges off it once you get dialed in.

The green Naniwa synthetic is fine, it's the blue one (I don't remember who makes it) that is unhappy with drying cycles. Also very muddy, great for knives and plane blades but I don't know if it's good for razors. I'd be concerned about the mud and the apex, but I could easily be wrong.

My primary intent when buying this stone was to use it on cutlery, mostly kitchen knives. I may give it a try on a razor, but I usually use a BBW with a healthy slurry or Naniwa SS 3K for straights needing a workout with that grit range.

It will be great for cutlery. If it's like the blue one, the slurry breaks down and does a great job of polishing the bevel. Nice finish stone for meat cutting knives.

Top Bottom