What's new

Got myself a hat

I've been thinking about getting a hat for a while, and I finally ordered an Akubra Camp Draft for myself this morning. I wear caps every now and then, but I never had much interest in fedoras or anything like that. Then, my daughter got me to try on an Open Road when we were out shopping. I had recently grown a beard, and I thought that it was a pretty good look. Of course, I spent way too much time online researching what I should get. That finally led me to the Camp Draft. Now to sit and wait for the freighter to round the Horn.

Gotta have hats. I’ve got 52 hats hanging on racks all over the first floor (all fedoras, cowboy hats, pork pies, Panama hats, Australian hats, etc.—not ball caps or berets). I wear a hat every day, and always will.

Once someone knocked on our front door, and inquired of my wife, “Are you a hat store—can I come in and look around?” Needless to say, it’s a good thing I was at work. At least she didn’t say, “Yes, we are! All hats are a dollar. Come on in!”

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s a nice one. I was never a hat guy until I started buzzing my hair off. Now I always have one on.

Chris we are going to need some photos when it arrives!

I'll be happy to oblige as soon as it gets here. Sounds like shipping time from Australia is kind of slow.

That’s a nice one. I was never a hat guy until I started buzzing my hair off. Now I always have one on.

When I used to shave my head, i'd put a hat on if I was working outside, but that was pretty functional. I've definitely started wearing hats more often since I grew out my beard.

Legion

Staff member
Good choice. That is a quality hat.

I live and work in the city these days, but when I worked out bush most of us had our Akubra permanently attached to our heads. On the rare occasion you saw someone without it I would always laugh at the tan line across the forehead.

I still break mine out if I go camping, etc. They last forever, and just get more character.

Gotta have hats.
Yup.

From Hamlet - Act II Scene i
Ophelia: O, my lord, my lord, I have been so affrighted!

Lord Polonius: With what, i' the name of God?

Ophelia
: My lord, as I was sewing in my closet,
Lord Hamlet, with his doublet all unbraced;
No hat upon his head; his stockings foul'd,
Ungarter'd, and down-gyved to his ankle;
Pale as his shirt; his knees knocking each other;
And with a look so piteous in purport
As if he had been loosed out of hell
To speak of horrors—he comes before me.​

Without a hat people will take you for a madman.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Akubra’s are fantastic hats. Looking forward to seeing your new lid when it arrives.

IMG_2067.jpg
Although I just ordered the hat on Tuesday, it was delivered today. Since it comes with an open crown, I gave it a quick dry bash to see what would look like. This weekend, I'll steam it and see if I can get a nice Cattleman's Crease in it.

Top Bottom