What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

I tried the Dettol Cool and like how slick the cream was and how you don't need a large amount.

Only downsides I can think of is that the menthol effect is subtle and that the lather can look a little "soapy" so sometimes

I want to bring this thread back to the fore, since it is one of my absolute favorites on the site.

Has anyone used any Indian creams recently, or found new ones which you've never seen before?

I have recently used Vicco sandalwood cream base and it is wonderful with real sandalwood scent and very slick lather to give baby smooth shave
I have also used Bombay shaving cream and it is not too bad either
Most of the cream from Godrej are also good but with all cream prep is must

Review -Biotique Bio Palmarya Gel

Equipment Used
Yaqi High mountain silvertip badger
Muhle R41 clone from AliExpress
Feather blade (this will be my 4th shave with this blade)
Biotique after shave gel
proxy.php

Here is the front and back of the tube.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Started off with a well soaked brush and a little bit of the gel. It's a little bit hard to see how much gel is there in the bowl since the gel is almost clear.

proxy.php

About 4 minutes of lathering in the bowl and it's got a decent amount of lather. The peaks are perfect and lather is just about right.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Pass 1 - WTG - Lather gave good cushioning and it was nice and slick.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Pass 2- XTG - Lather thinned a little between the passes but it was still slick and workable

proxy.php

Pass 3 - ATG - Lather considerably thinned out and coverage was poor. I wasn't even able to cover half of my face. Since I was on my 4th shave with a feather blade in a super aggressive razor I decided it would be best to work up some more lather. I ended up taking some more gel and work up lather on my face to finish my shave which was a BBS.

Finally cleaned up and applied some after shave gel.

Scent - it's very mild, a mix of barbershop and fresh cut grass.

Verdict - the gel takes a while to lather up and it takes a considerable amount of gel to get enough lather for 3 passes. The lather is slick but it deteriorates considerably between the passes. Given my experience I will not be buying any more of this gel. There are better creams for lesser price.

PS: After shave gel is strictly average. It made my face a little bit sticky after dry down and smells exactly like the shaving gel. So won't be buying any more after my current pack is exhausted.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Equipment Used
Biotique after shave gel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Started off with a well soaked brush and a little bit of the gel. It's a little bit hard to see how much gel is there in the bowl since the gel is almost clear.

proxy.php

About 4 minutes of lathering in the bowl and it's got a decent amount of lather. The peaks are perfect and lather is just about right.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Pass 2- XTG - Lather thinned a little between the passes but it was still slick and workable

proxy.php

Pass 3 - ATG - Lather considerably thinned out and coverage was poor. I wasn't even able to cover half of my face. Since I was on my 4th shave with a feather blade in a super aggressive razor I decided it would be best to work up some more lather. I ended up taking some more gel and work up lather on my face to finish my shave which was a BBS.

Verdict - the gel takes a while to lather up and it takes a considerable amount of gel to get enough lather for 3 passes. The lather is slick but it deteriorates considerably between the passes. Given my experience I will not be buying any more of this gel. There are better creams for lesser price.

PS: After shave gel is strictly average. It made my face a little bit sticky after dry down and smells exactly like the shaving gel. So won't be buying any more after my current pack is exhausted.
proxy.php

Not related to the gel, but how aggressive is the R41 clone? And what was the price on it?

Equipment Used
Biotique after shave gel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Thanks for your review.

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows if the Spice is back in the Indian Old Spice cream? I haven’t purchased this product for at least 3 years, when I received unscented cream. It was my go to cream and I miss it.

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows if the Spice is back in the Indian Old Spice cream? I haven’t purchased this product for at least 3 years, when I received unscented cream. It was my go to cream and I miss it.
I believe so. When I got some India about 2 years ago, it had the spice. They also seek unscented and other scents. Just be sure what you get. I think west coast shaving sells it.

Fellas, I forgot that I had a very old tub of Biotique Palmyra shaving cream! That's right, the discontinued cream; not the still available gel! I've read some reports of this specific cream going bad after awhile, but I am here to report that after several years of ownership; it's still as good as it was when I first used it. I didn't do anything special with it, I just kept it in a box in my closet for quite a few years.

Just a dab on each cheek and one on my chin got me a very smooth and enjoyable shave.

Also, I have found some other creams from India that I have never heard anything about. One is called Assure and the tube says it has menthol on it. It was pretty cheap on eBay, but I didn't want to buy it without seeing if anyone from India had anything to say about it. I have also seen quite a few of the creams reviewed in this thread on eBay as well. So there's still hope for Americans to get some of these fine and interesting brands!

Last edited:
Are there any good artisanal shaving creams coming our of India or the Middle East? Or are there any Indian or Middle Eastern American soap makers? Sri from Wholly Kaw but anybody else?

Top Bottom