What's new

Post Shave Razor Clean-Up

How do you clean your 3 piece razor after you finish shaving? With a butterfly, it's simple to crank it open, drop out the blade, rinse it & flick off the residual water droplets, then mop out the interior soap scum with a towel.

BUT for a 3 piece, how many of you disassemble & wipe down the head & baseplate after every shave?

Not this guy. I set it on the counter to let it dry for a couple hours, pick it back up later and bang the rest of the water out on my palm. Goes back in the medicine cabinet afterwards. I'll clean it better when I change the blade, but that's about it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Count me as an obsessive -- I disassemble, rinse, dry and reassemble the razor....yes, after every shave.

I rinse it under running water let it sit awhile then dry it off with a microfiber cloth. Gets cleaned properly when I change blades.

Rinse, shake and dry with towel.
At blade change spray with clean shower and clean with toothbrush, then repeat above steps.
All my my razors seem to like it. None have run away yet.

Purely a personal preference, based on personal standards.

On a 3 piece razor I clean it with an old soft tooth brush and a little bit of soapy water.

I'm a middle of the road guy. I clean my razor once a week when I change blades. It's worked for since my first shave in November 1951 on my 15th birthday. I've never had a razor complain of neglect. Not once. And my razors always look presentable.

I also wash my car once a week, clean house thoroughly once a week, and I bathe once a day. :001_smile All of this cleaning if flexible, and it can be done more often or slightly less often with no serious consequences.

Purely a personal preference, based on personal standards.

Toothbrush and Dawn every blade change which is about 3-4 shaves. Otherwise I just unscrew the head slightly and rinse thoroughly and wipe down with a soft towel.

I find TTO razors more of a concern to wipe clean after a shave. I much prefer the three piece that disassembles making each part easy to wipe all of the soap scum off. I switch razors daily and use the same blade in different razors all week.

Mine gets cleaned once a week on blade change day. Otherwise, just rinse and hang after a shave. Never had an issue.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Rinse with tap water, disassemble, dry with towel, reassemble and hang on razor stand. I do this after every shave. No drama here but everyone has their own way of doing it.

Sound like I’m in the minority. I just rinse and put it on my brush and razor stand in the medics cabinet. When it’s time for a new blade mate once a month I just swap the blades out and leave the soap scum. Some razors stay cleaner than others though. On my shiny, nickel plated razors, sometimes I’ll wipe soap scum off the top cap if they get a lot of buildup. The machines stainless razors require little upkeep in my experience.

BUT for a 3 piece, how many of you disassemble & wipe down the head & baseplate after every shave?
Hard water brings its own challenges; scum needs to be cleaned every day or other day to keep the razor and blade clean. I do a daily disassemble, wipe down and reassemble routine but I imagine soft water would not require that.

You need to clean your razors ? Think about it as it cuts through soap and gets rinsed out with water during ones multiple passes - do we really need to clean them more than that ? Do people routinely clean their toothbrushes after using and those are microbiological colonies !

And so I don’t get called out yes I rinse my razor with tap water of the soap and stubble and pat dry usually between washing my face and any post shave applications.

I'm too picky to leave things just rinsed. I completely disassemble and thoroughly clean after each use, then heads and handles are stored separately. I usually only shave once a week, but I can't stand the leftover soap scum on everything.

I too just rinse and dry with a towel. I have a collection of pipe cleaners on a ring to get the soap buildup out of various slots and holes, once a week tops.

Top Bottom