What's new

Increase upload speeds

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My understanding is they have to bury fiber cable? And if they don’t bury it they have to run it on the established power lines which means paying the electric company. And according to the tech guy at work fiber cable is VERY brittle. And you can’t simply splice a new line to an old line if it breaks. So even Google Fiber is unbelievably slow with installing new service in cities.

I’m getting 100mpbs or more via my wireless router. I suspect that’s the future with super high speed internet. A central hub that broadcasts the wireless signal to the surrounding neighborhoods.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Have you tried turning the modem off for a few minutes? Hopfuly a new modem fixes your speed.

This is what my provider has for options. 20Mbps up is standard for fibre with only top dollar increasing that speed.
5G when it arrives may be a game changer.

Unplan Fibre 100 Up to 100Mbps Up to 20Mbps
Unplan Fibre 200 Up to 200Mbps Up to 20Mbps
Unplan Fibre Max Up to 900Mbps Up to 400Mbps

They will be disconction the old copper network very soon, so will be Fibre or wireless only.
Naked ADSL Unlimited Up to 24Mbps Up to 1 Mbps
Naked VDSL Unlimited Up to 70Mbps Up to 10Mbps

Yeah 99% of people only care about download speeds so that’s all they advertise. Upload speeds are always way slower, which I don’t understand. My Download speeds are actually more than what I’m paying for. But only about 10mbps more but still more. My upload speed is less than half of what I should be getting.
I don't remember what my upload speeds were last time I checked. I want to say download has usually been around 500-600 when I've checked. I have AT&T Fiber and while they call it internet 1000, if you look at the reading it says 500-940Mbps for both upload and download. It's already overkill so I've never felt the need to whine. I'll have to test this evening to satisfy my curiosity though.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Only about 10 times :001_tongu

I'm currently having issues my TV comapny box. It keeps running eracticaly and not showing all data for channels etc. I've rebotted the sucker may times and it fixes it for a sort term.
I need to call them and know they are going to throw the have you rebotted blar blar blar at me. Yes....yes I have.
It may be the tipping point to kicking them to the kerb if they ask me to do it just one more time.......go on ask me. :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I am about to jinx myself- I regularly get 20% faster download and upload speeds than what ATT advertises.

Under promose and over deliver is always well received. No one likes it the other way around.

Just check the speed on my phone network 118 down / 35.6 up.
Work PC 28.2 down / 6.4 down.
Home I'm getting 202 down / 20.9 up. Should be 200/20 so that's spotty dog.
I think work would be much faster but I'm picking bandwidth is being control by our IT manager. I've got a lazy hundy to put on that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Under promose and over deliver is always well received. No one likes it the other way around.

Just check the speed on my phone network 118 down / 35.6 up.
Work PC 28.2 down / 6.4 down.
Home I'm getting 202 down / 20.9 up. Should be 200/20 so that's spotty dog.
I think work would be much faster but I'm picking bandwidth is being control by our IT manager. I've got a lazy hundy to put on that.
Lazy hundy? Two peoples separated by a common language. :)

Really makes no sense in “this day and age” where YouTube and social media exists for the sheer purpose of UPLOADING anything and everything.

With the way the providers set up the country (by agreement between them) there is no real competition in each area. You might have two companies, but they really don't compete. They have no incentive to increase their infrastructure to make things better. You either use their service or you have nothing, so they can get away with almost anything. That is also the reason why internet is so much more expensive in the States. Other countries have multiple companies competing in the same areas, and that drives innovation and helps lower prices.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
New modem is set up.

wired connection - 114 download. 7-8 upload.
wireless connection - 114 download. 7-8 upload.

I reckon this is as good as I'm gonna get! a lot faster upload speeds so I'm happy. I guess.

With the way the providers set up the country (by agreement between them) there is no real competition in each area. You might have two companies, but they really don't compete. They have no incentive to increase their infrastructure to make things better. You either use their service or you have nothing, so they can get away with almost anything. That is also the reason why internet is so much more expensive in the States. Other countries have multiple companies competing in the same areas, and that drives innovation and helps lower prices.

And they have a nice history of promising things (like expanding fiber networks) and then pocketing the money from subsidies, etc.

I tested mine after posting yesterday. Got around 500 both down and up. Still quite fast, but reality equals the fine print, not the ad that calls it Internet 1000.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
On the fiber cable.... I noticed yesterday in our alley, there is a cable on the ground, going from our 'box' by the driveway over to a utility pole about 100ft away. It's above ground just laying there which I thought was weird, so out of curiosity I picked it up and it says Corning Optical Cable. Wonder if we're getting Fiber?

@Toothpick just curious if your new modem/router is one unit or two. We have Spectrum too and they gave us modem/router separates. They seem to work well, reliable so far. FWIW, we get 100/200 2g/5g down and 10-11 up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom