What's new

PSA for those with tattoos

The only time I've been inked is when I forgot to use my pocket protector.

proxy.php

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's sad but true that people with tats are often discriminated against when it comes to job interviews.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's sad but true that people with tats are often discriminated against when it comes to job interviews.

Except for getting a job at Hooter's ...

... where it's *** for tat.

If i'm on the internet i'm sitting on the floor with a laptop at home. Never had/owned a cell phone.
dave
I cannot imagine life without one, sadly. Always on emails or contactable even on holiday, bad form to use holiday as a reason to decline a call.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I cannot imagine life without one, sadly. Always on emails or contactable even on holiday, bad form to use holiday as a reason to decline a call.
That is sad. I'm going on vacation next week for the first time since retirement!

I can understand that perspective from a self-employed. But my wife is an employee (no direct reports) for a large firm and, though it is not explicitly stated (as that would involve negotiating a salary increase), the implication of "availability" is clearly there, which I find to be a disturbing trend. Sorry, Corporations, but you do not "own" your employees and, once they leave the office, it should be up to them whether they answer that phone.

Hell, my current boss is in the USA, and he is the ONLY person who has my cell number. If an issue with a Customer gets to his level, I can count on it being serious enough to warrant my time. Other than that . . .

I too had my school, boys tattoo designs reworked a few years ago. One was a unicorn thats thats now a bird and one thing lead to another. In the end I had 3 of my four reworked and joined together by vine and ivy leaves and branches. The 4th is staying as is. Me and a long gone friend had the same red devils at the same time.

So I say why not, stuff the man.

I can understand that perspective from a self-employed. But my wife is an employee (no direct reports) for a large firm and, though it is not explicitly stated (as that would involve negotiating a salary increase), the implication of "availability" is clearly there, which I find to be a disturbing trend. Sorry, Corporations, but you do not "own" your employees and, once they leave the office, it should be up to them whether they answer that phone.

Hell, my current boss is in the USA, and he is the ONLY person who has my cell number. If an issue with a Customer gets to his level, I can count on it being serious enough to warrant my time. Other than that . . .

Although I totally agree with you, the sad fact of life is if you don't answer the phone, or dial in for the monthly results review while on holiday, they'll find someone else who will.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Although I totally agree with you, the sad fact of life is if you don't answer the phone, or dial in for the monthly results review while on holiday, they'll find someone else who will.
Yep. Been there. It might be the only good thing about being on disability now, lol.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The idea of having a tattoo is not necessarily synonymous with being inked on the face, neck, head or hands. And it’s possible to have tattoos without being a reprehensible degenerate...and, more importantly, vice versa. Let’s not turn this thread into a judgmental indictment of those of us who choose to commit to permanent representations of things that are important to us.

To try to make amends...a friend of mine, who is the husband of an attorney I did a lot of work for, got a big one on his chest a couple of years ago. He was still putting vaseline on it when I was in the office with him.

For me personally...I'm not getting anything done I can't undo. But...I do have some scars that have lasted and probably always will.

If you want to do it that's up to you...and the meaning it has for you does play a role.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Yep. Been there. It might be the only good thing about being on disability now, lol.

It's nice to be retired now. I don't do internet paperwork or the electronic signing. I'm not set up for it. If you want to do business with me call me on the phone or send the paperwork in the regular mail so I can sign it and send it back. If not...go away.

SWMBO gets texts after she gets home and is off work. She has to turn her cell phone off. I think I saw somewhere that the UK has a regulation that you can't call workers after hours unless you are emergency personnel. I hated having to be at work at 6:00 am, having to get up about 4:30 am to leave at 5:30 am, then getting a phone call at 1:00 am saying "Be here in an hour. Someone called in sick."

That can cost employers...turn-over and training costs for hiring new employees.

Oh...back to tats.

Last edited:
I only have 2 tattoos. Both of them are from my time in the Air Force. They had meaning then and still hold that same meaning. They are a form of connection to a time gone by, a connection to people gone by. They are no longer pristine but neither am I. I have them where they can be hidden even though the regs weren't as strict 30+ yrs ago. I have thought a few time about having them redone but I always change my mind. I figure they will fade out about the same time I do but, until then, they will serve as a reminder of a great time in my life and the great people who were a part of it.

I have a work phone. It gets turned off as I walk out the door and turn on when I walk back in. My boss is the only one who can get in touch with me any other way. I know when he dials my personal number, it's absolutely necessary and he knows it's gonna cost him.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My one tattoo is a wedding band. I work around electricity, and hate the feel of liquid between a ring and skin (washing hands, hydraulic fluid, etc). So, instead of removing my ring all of the time, I had one tattooed. It does need touch up, though- it’s been about 15 years. It is simple. Two black rings about wedding ring distance apart, “Mary” in cursive, and the rest filled with red. It is an everlasting symbol, that can’t be removed, of the woman that I love (although she sometimes drives me crazy :) )

My one tattoo is a wedding band. I work around electricity, and hate the feel of liquid between a ring and skin (washing hands, hydraulic fluid, etc). So, instead of removing my ring all of the time, I had one tattooed. It does need touch up, though- it’s been about 15 years. It is simple. Two black rings about wedding ring distance apart, “Mary” in cursive, and the rest filled with red. It is an everlasting symbol, that can’t be removed, of the woman that I love (although she sometimes drives me crazy :) )

I work in Industrial Maintenance and see a lot of men with this. It's funny because I have one of the silicone rings my wife got me and it's 2 black rings with red in the middle. No name on it though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I work in Industrial Maintenance and see a lot of men with this. It's funny because I have one of the silicone rings my wife got me and it's 2 black rings with red in the middle. No name on it though.
Makes sense. When wearing a gold ring, electricity can shock you, or machinery can rip you finger off. A silicone ring is a good fix, too.

Makes sense. When wearing a gold ring, electricity can shock you, or machinery can rip you finger off. A silicone ring is a good fix, too.

Yep, and I've seen both happen unfortunately. The company I work for now though, doesn't even allow me to wear it. I work around too many tanks with products in them that go on or in the body. They don't allow any jewelry at all in any form.

Top Bottom