What's new

Which soaps burn or irritate your face?

Just to carry on this conversation, I've recently had my first experience with burn. I've had an opportunity to try a few solid bases and a variety of scents, but just over the past couple days, I had Oleo Soapworks Windy City Barbershop cause irritation with the soap, and today A&E Spartacus caused me grief with the soap and then really knocked me out with the aftershave splash.

Unfortunately, I don't have other scents from either company to determine if it's the base, but I haven't had issues with any other soap, whether tallow or vegan or linalool or others, so I'm suspicious of the fragrance oils used.

Anyways, yes, I've been "burnt" by shave soap, sadly.

I have had a similar experience with soaps, makes my face irritated. I prefer creams. I have had a comfortable shave with Martin De Candre Fourgere soap.

Pretty much any soap that has almond scent, or almond oil. Or a cinnamon type scent. There have been a handful of different soaps from different artisans. So I just avoid those.

I have had a similar experience with soaps, makes my face irritated. I prefer creams. I have had a comfortable shave with Martin De Candre Fourgere soap.

Chemically, most lathering creams are soap. They just have more water and sometimes more moisturizing addatives.

Almost Heaven (Stirling Soaps) and Coconut Lime (Shannon's Soaps). Almost Heaven is the only Stirling Soap that causes irritation (I have tried many others and they do not). My guess with the Coconut Lime is that it is the lime that causes a reaction.

The only soap I have used so far that my face didn’t like was Maggards London Barbershop. My face just burns the more the lather is left on.

Soaps that burn my skin:

B&M Cologne Russe
Valobra Fougere & Patchouli (Thankfully Unscented and Czech & Speake doesnt burn)
Speick
Omega Herbae
Fine Lorange Noir & Lavender Pour Hommme
SV Felce Aromatica, Manna Di Sicilia, Tundra Arctica, Stella Alpina, Dolomiti, 70th Anv, & Colonia
Razorock XXX Duro, XXX, XX, X, Stallion, Son of Zeus, Blue Barbershop, Classic, P.160, Tuscan Oud, Don Marco,
Klar Seifen Sport & Classic
Le Pere Lucien Unscented, Traditional & Fougere (Too much coconut oil)
Hendri Et Victoria Unscented (Too much coconut oil)
TFS Il Capitano & Panta Rei
TOBS Jermyn St
T&H Luxury
Lea

Finding a rotation of soaps that work for me took a ton of trial and error. As i try more soaps im sure this list will grow over time.

Ariana and Evans Tertius. It's really unfortunate, as I love the scent (like a freshly conditioned saddle with a teeny hint of floral), and I love Ariana and Evans other offerings. Asian Plum and Spartacus are two of only four soaps that made me immediately purchase the matching splash.

It didn't cause any rashes or redness, but it makes my skin uncomfortably hot.

Soaps that burn my skin:

B&M Cologne Russe
Valobra Fougere & Patchouli (Thankfully Unscented and Czech & Speake doesnt burn)
Speick
Omega Herbae
Fine Lorange Noir & Lavender Pour Hommme
SV Felce Aromatica, Manna Di Sicilia, Tundra Arctica, Stella Alpina, Dolomiti, 70th Anv, & Colonia
Razorock XXX Duro, XXX, XX, X, Stallion, Son of Zeus, Blue Barbershop, Classic, P.160, Tuscan Oud, Don Marco,
Klar Seifen Sport & Classic
Le Pere Lucien Unscented, Traditional & Fougere (Too much coconut oil)
Hendri Et Victoria Unscented (Too much coconut oil)
TFS Il Capitano & Panta Rei
TOBS Jermyn St
T&H Luxury
Lea

I feel sorry for you, man. You’ve listed some top notch soaps there.

Another soap I tried. Gentleman's Nod, George 1. Really bad burn. It was so bad that my lips turned red and swelled a little (when lathering). My guess is that there is too much tobacco oil.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Grooming Dept Lavendar Mallard
Arko

Neither are terrible, but after a minute or so of the lather being on my face, I'm wanting to finish the shave.

Top Bottom