What's new

Dominant v. Non Dominant hand

One thing I noticed during today's SR shave -- again, I'm about 4 months in using a straight (not exclusively) -- is that as I become more proficient, its the non-dominant hand (my left hand) where I'm learning. In short, I use a lot less pressure with my left hand versus my right and I notice I get a better shave.

I'm trying to remember that as I continue to improve upon my technique.

I just thought I'd share that.

Also, following my shave, I always use an alum block and I didn't get any post shave burn from that. I got a little burn from the Pitralon Classic (german) aftershave, but that's normal.

That’s good. I started early on to parrot my dominant hand with my non-dominant. It works extremely well without having additional motions to master.

I think the motions necessary are more efficient than learning how to cross your face with your dominant hand. At that point, your dominant hand becomes awkwardly non-dominant. But then, I tend to be somewhat ambidextrous when it comes to tools. I grew up driving screws with my non-dominant hand and dad would kid me about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. But it’s amazing that I’m now learning from my non dominant hand. Where as when I started I could
Barely use my left hand

I've played stringed instruments all my near adult life, so I've had to use both hands. I've noticed muscle memory, if taken slow, builds more quickly than you'd think. Good luck, bro.

Straight-razor shaving has taught me that I'm more ambidextrous than I thought previously. I shave with both hands, left-handed on the left side of my face and right-handed on the right side of my face for the most part. Nicks on my face in starting out were often on the right side, with my dominant hand. I've tried to apply this in other domains of life as well, carpentry and house-painting in tight spaces where it is better to use my non-dominant left hand, and it seems to work there too. Perhaps we are culturally ingrained to think we favor one hand, when actually, we may be more ambidextrous than we think.

Off-topic, but I wonder if the same can be applied to eye-dominance.

I too receive a better shave with my no dominant hand.... I think it may be due in part to the extra care I take and the pattern of my hair growth on that side of my face. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight-razor shaving has taught me that I'm more ambidextrous than I thought previously. I shave with both hands, left-handed on the left side of my face and right-handed on the right side of my face for the most part. Nicks on my face in starting out were often on the right side, with my dominant hand. I've tried to apply this in other domains of life as well, carpentry and house-painting in tight spaces where it is better to use my non-dominant left hand, and it seems to work there too. Perhaps we are culturally ingrained to think we favor one hand, when actually, we may be more ambidextrous than we think.

Off-topic, but I wonder if the same can be applied to eye-dominance.

I completely agree.

I couldn't agree more with those comments on house painting. Whether it is a corner, door frame, window, etc. there are many situations where using the non dominant hand gives the paintbrush a better angle of attack. The last time I painted my outside windows this came without a second thought, but if I had not tried straight razor shaving I might have only used my dominant hand.

Top Bottom