What's new

Advice before getting a Merkur Futur for a Beginner

Hiya Everybody! :)

Just 3 Questions abut the Merkur Futur...

1) How do the Aggressiveness on each setting compare with those of other non Adjustables? eg to an R41 and 89 Series etc.

2) How does it compare with the QShave in terms of Quality, Aggressiveness on each Setting etc...

3) I have a Beautiful Muhle R89 and this would just the flexibility to my arsenal that I'm looking for. Would this be a good choice?

Happy Shaving!

Zeek

Brother Syndicate,

All I can say is the Futur is an aggressive razor. I would recommend starting at a setting of 1 and gradually working up in .5 increments, but only if necessary.

I have tough "old man whiskers" and slightly sensitive skin, and a 1.5 setting on the Futur is perfect for me. My Muhle R89 is too mild for me, but putting 2 shims under the working blade of the R89 makes it spot-on perfect for my face and whiskers.

It should be noted that a lotta guys apparently think it is a macho thing to shave at higher settings (or the highest setting!) on an adjustable razor. Not so IMO. The purpose of an adjustable is not to demonstrate one's manhood, but is to customize a razor to one's unique face and whiskers, and that includes the closeness of shave and the comfort of the face.

I would suggest a rockwell 6s or 6c as your second DE shaver,...That way you have all the bases covered. Depending on what plate you use the 6S or 6C is not as aggressive as the Futur. My 2 cents.

I like the Futur so much that I own two - one in satin chrome and the other in gold finish.
The reason I like it so much is that is feels rock-solid and shaves are very reproducible. It is my standard razor when traveling.
I generally use mild razors, but the Futur works really well for me. My sweet spot is on setting 2, using a sharp blade like a Polsilver.

It is a razor you should treat with respect. I am by no means a newbie but I have a deep scar behind my jaw which will always remind me of one little moment with a lack of attention. Can't remember the exact setting but it was low.

I would not use a Futur until you have a ton of DE shaves under your belt. I've owned three (don't ask) and can confirm that it's a bad combination with new shaving habits. It was my first DE razor and that was a huge mistake on my part.

I think it's a neat razor, but not a great razor for the following reasons:
1. The head is huge and makes it very difficult to get under your nose
2. The ergonomics are not good at all
3. Changing out blades requires a lot of care
4. Cuts with the Futur always seem to be worse than with other razors

If you are hell bent on getting one, I would get the Qshave clone. I can't tell the difference between the two.
My advice would echo @Calm_Shaver and get a Rockwell 6C. That is a great razor for beginners and seasoned pros.

I am a fellow beginner who wanted something more efficient than my Merkur 23C. I tried a Ming Shi 2000s (Futur clone) because it was so cheap. It was a bad decision for all kinds of reasons such as poor technique, uncorrectable alignment issues etc but over and above that, it had never occurred to me that I just wouldn't like the feel of the thing. The head is very chunky compared to the heads on the typical Merkur, Muhle and Edwin Jagger razors; even leaving aside the adjustment feature it's a fundamentally different style of razor. You might like it, but you might not.

The Futur is not for a beginner. Just start with a Chinese Ming Shi 2000s or a Qshave as their gaps are not so big. They are super cheap. Although not as great quality as the Futur they are well made. My Ming Shi is 2 years old and still is holding up.

if your just starting I would try the mingshi 2000s copy of the future or the plastic Wilkinson sword classic both are cheep enough to forget if de isn't for you and both are a fair razor in my eyes .

if your just starting I would try the mingshi 2000s copy of the future or the plastic Wilkinson sword classic both are cheep enough to forget if de isn't for you and both are a fair razor in my eyes .
my bad just saw your not a complete newbie so try the Rockwell 6 c/s this is a good adjustable via the plates .

I bought a Futur about one year into DE shaving, on the high setting it was fairly aggressive, the blade feedback made me realize there was a fair amount of blade exposure. I had to ditch mine after about a year of daily use due to the fact the 'top plate spring' became too loose which made the razor dangerous to use. All I had to do was shake it and the top plate would fall off. Could have been a one-off defect but I moved on to a Parker Variant which felt a lot more stable.

What is your current razor?

I assume you're looking to up the aggressiveness of your shave. While I do not own a Futur, I have been on the forums long enough and watched enough YouTube videos to know that it a very aggressive razor. While it might be a good purchase for the future, it might not be very productive for someone trying to perfect their technique.

I do not have a Rockwell, but it is well thought of by B&B users, so that would be a good choice. Another option might be another modern adjustable like a Parker Variant or Merkur Progress, or a vintage like a Gillette Slim, Fat Boy or Super Adjustable.

My 2 cents.

I am a Futur user and think it's an awesome shaver. But I don't know if I'd make it my second razor.

It was my 2nd (or 3rd) razor. It is not bad for a beginner as long as they take their time and get adjusted to it. My initial issues with the Futur were not the razor at all. I need a lot of work on my technique. Take the time and the Futur will reward with wonderful shaves.

What is your current razor?

I assume you're looking to up the aggressiveness of your shave. While I do not own a Futur, I have been on the forums long enough and watched enough YouTube videos to know that it a very aggressive razor. While it might be a good purchase for the future, it might not be very productive for someone trying to perfect their technique.

I do not have a Rockwell, but it is well thought of by B&B users, so that would be a good choice. Another option might be another modern adjustable like a Parker Variant or Merkur Progress, or a vintage like a Gillette Slim, Fat Boy or Super Adjustable.

My 2 cents.
Yes Sir. My Muhle R89 works well (with a feather blade), but looking for something with a more aggressive shave for that super clean cut once in a while... How does the Rockwell 6 Series compare in aggressiveness to the R89?

Brother Syndicate,

All I can say is the Futur is an aggressive razor. I would recommend starting at a setting of 1 and gradually working up in .5 increments, but only if necessary.

I have tough "old man whiskers" and slightly sensitive skin, and a 1.5 setting on the Futur is perfect for me. My Muhle R89 is too mild for me, but putting 2 shims under the working blade of the R89 makes it spot-on perfect for my face and whiskers.

It should be noted that a lotta guys apparently think it is a macho thing to shave at higher settings (or the highest setting!) on an adjustable razor. Not so IMO. The purpose of an adjustable is not to demonstrate one's manhood, but is to customize a razor to one's unique face and whiskers, and that includes the closeness of shave and the comfort of the face.
Brother Steve

I've realised that the only thing that gives me super clean shave with that Beautiful R89 is a Feather blade. 2 shims usually cut slightly closer when I use other blades, but my dark hairs still peak through. The feathers still do the best job. Ironically the smoothest shave I've had was from a Derby Premium...

I would not use a Futur until you have a ton of DE shaves under your belt. I've owned three (don't ask) and can confirm that it's a bad combination with new shaving habits. It was my first DE razor and that was a huge mistake on my part.

I think it's a neat razor, but not a great razor for the following reasons:
1. The head is huge and makes it very difficult to get under your nose
2. The ergonomics are not good at all
3. Changing out blades requires a lot of care
4. Cuts with the Futur always seem to be worse than with other razors

If you are hell bent on getting one, I would get the Qshave clone. I can't tell the difference between the two.
My advice would echo @Calm_Shaver and get a Rockwell 6C. That is a great razor for beginners and seasoned pros.

Good advice on the Futur. I could never cut my mustache area with this huge head.

Yes Sir. My Muhle R89 works well (with a feather blade), but looking for something with a more aggressive shave for that super clean cut once in a while... How does the Rockwell 6 Series compare in aggressiveness to the R89?

I do not have a Rockwell, so others who do would have to chime in as to how it might compare.

Unless you can find an excellent condition Gillette SuperSpeed cheap, a great equivalent razor is a WeiShi. They're made of brass, not zamak. Mine can be best described as a long-handled SuperSpeed. Excellent results - same as shaving with any of my Kronas, SuperSpeeds or Slims. If you only want one razor, this is a great place to start. They run right using Astra SP's, Voskhods & Shark Chromes so far. I've yet to get a disappointing shave with it.

Top Bottom